Can I use a standard bolt in place of a metric motor mount bolt?

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
I am replacing my motor mounts and I need to replace one of the bolts that connects the mount to the engine. The existing one is metric and reason I can not use a Std. non-metric bolt of the same size. ?

Oh, I thought it was a bolt that threaded into the block. My misunderstanding. You should be able to use one that fits snugly into the hole.

I am good I was able to find a metric bolt at Bay Bolt the right size. I love the idea of mixing metric and std size on the same vehicle. WTF :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and AndyG
I went through this last year. Those bolts are pretty cheap to get new and the local dealer had them in stock. I think its worth it to get the proper bolt with the right anticorrosion coating and right lock nut that are designed to work in that application.

I am good I was able to find a metric bolt at Bay Bolt the right size. I love the idea of mixing metric and std size on the same vehicle. WTF :rolleyes:

Jeep did!😆

I'm not sure I've owned a domestic vehicle that didn't mix the two. I mostly only notice when they use something that isn't quite close enough to interchange the wrench/socket, like 3/8 vs 10mm, or 1/2 vs 12 or 13mm.

I love the idea of mixing metric and std size on the same vehicle. WTF :rolleyes:
Guessing you don't pay much attention or you don't work on the rig much while you're paying attention? Front bumper, 6 larger bolts are 1/2-13, 4 for the swaybar mounts are M10. Belly skid is 1/2-13 for early, M12 for later, rear bumper bottom bolts pointing up are 1/2-13 for early rigs, M12 for later. Gas tank fasteners are 5/16-18, trans mount bits are M8. They switch back and forth all over the place. Tossing a standard bolt in the motor mount wouldn't bother me in the least as long as it was a decent fit and grade 8.

I am replacing my motor mounts and I need to replace one of the bolts that connects the mount to the engine. The existing one is metric and reason I can not use a Std. non-metric bolt of the same size. ?

As long as it's a close fit the motor mount won't know the difference.

Reactions: John Cooper
For the same reason they don't call Detroit, Engine City.

1691180794376.png

For the same reason they don't call Detroit, Engine City.

For the same reason all your gear head buddies aren't called Engine heads.

For the same reason you don't tell someone to engine your ass on outa here.

You forgot the engine boat

View attachment 447073

stop-now-daniel-green.gif