Can I use my Rubicon locker without the sensor installed?

Jamey412

I recently swapped in some 2003 rubicon axles into my 1999 jeep wrangler sahara. As my friend and I were wiring up the lockers we noticed the rear locker indicator wasn't working, so we pulled it out to test it. When I put it back in the axle and drove it I noticed the rear would not unlock. After a google search we realized that it is necessary to pull the carrier to reinstall the sensor/indicator. Had I known this beforehand I never would have removed it. To unlock the rear we just cut the end of the switch off to plug that hole. Basically my question is can I use the locker without that sensor/plunger installed without having to worry about messing something up on the locker? I don't feel comfortable removing the carrier so I'd have to pay someone to fix this issue which doesn't sounds cheap. I'd rather not spend a bunch of money to have a light telling me a locker is on, but I also don't want to mess up the locker if this indicator is necessary to its function.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Jamey

I put 2005 Rubicon Axles into my 2005 X.

Probably my ignorance here, but why did you think the indicator wasn’t working?

There was no wiring to even plug in the wiring, the dash of a non Rubicon I didn’t think was even set to do anything as an indicator?

Does the locker work right now, without the sensor plunger?

The sensors are non vital to the actual actuation and are just a sending unit.

We can sell you a permit to run the lockers with no sensor - there is an oil drain plug that will fit the hole. It is sold separately from the permit. I got one at O’Reillys once.

When I was in there I got stuck in the air conditioning duct. I’m not sure how. But their employees were really nice and grabbed my legs and pulled me out. But I digress.

To get the permit -

You Venmo me $35 and I will send you the Locker Sensor Deletion Placard, it goes on your lower right windshield. These have to be renewed annually and you still are not allowed to say “mine is a really a Rubicon.”

AndyG
Forum Compliance and Permits Officer

I put 2005 Rubicon Axles into my 2005 X.

Probably my ignorance here, but why did you think the indicator wasn’t working?

There was no wiring to even plug in the wiring, the dash of a non Rubicon I didn’t think was even set to do anything as an indicator?

I was going to wire up some after market lights to it to have a indicator light. We used a multi meter to test the sensor and it wasn't working... The front works but the rear was only working intermittently.

The sensors are non vital to the actual actuation and are just a sending unit.

We can sell you a permit to run the lockers with no sensor - there is an oil drain plug that will fit the hole. It is sold separately from the permit. I got one at O’Reillys once.

When I was in there I got stuck in the air conditioning duct. I’m not sure how. But their employees were really nice and grabbed my legs and pulled me out. But I digress.

To get the permit -

You Venmo me $35 and I will send you the Locker Sensor Deletion Placard, it goes on your lower right windshield. These have to be renewed annually and you still are not allowed to say “mine is a really a Rubicon.”

AndyG
Forum Compliance and Permits Officer

Hahaha! I'll be sure to pay you for that permit right away... I wouldn't want to be in violation of any laws. I'll put it right under my blinker fluid reminder sticker.

Thank you by the way!

Yes you can run without the sensor installed no problem, it'll only cause the locker lights on the dash to flash whenever the lockers are engaged. My sensors are gone too, I just cut the spring loaded plunger off and reinstalled the sensor body back into the axles so they wouldn't leak gear lube.

As a side note, if you screw the rear diff fill plug in too far you can also cause the locker to get jammed. Screw it in just far enough to not leak or fall out. Some people have had to use teflon tape to acheive this

Reactions: AndyG
I'll put it right under my blinker fluid reminder sticker

I hope you're using a synthetic blend fluid. It's California approved. ;)

1690734679433.png

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
As a side note, if you screw the rear diff fill plug in too far you can also cause the locker to get jammed. Screw it in just far enough to not leak or fall out. Some people have had to use teflon tape to acheive this

Thanks! I just cut the plunger part off and it seems to work fine!

I guess you're ok endangering yourself and those around you. ;)

I am a man who’s not afraid to walk on the edge. I went in a business through the out door one time. I’ve torn off mattress tags.

I live dangerously.