Can I use steel brake line for fuel return line replacement?

BLindzy

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,
Under the 97 TJ this weekend cleaning the frame and noticed that my return fuel line is very rusty and not to far from leaking. I have been looking around for a replacement and not having a bunch of luck local. My question is, can I just use steel brake line? If so what size should I use?

Thanks all!

Mine was rusted just about 8 inches from the tank and I just cut the bad off and replaced it with 3/16 fuel hose. But if it’s rusted too bad I don’t think I would use hose to replace it all. 3/16 is the size of the hose so I would think 3/16 steel brake line would be fine

Hello all,
Under the 97 TJ this weekend cleaning the frame and noticed that my return fuel line is very rusty and not to far from leaking. I have been looking around for a replacement and not having a bunch of luck local. My question is, can I just use steel brake line? If so what size should I use?

Thanks all!

The nickle steel brake lines are a good choice to replace the vapor line and they bend by hand nicely. That's what I am running now.

I thought the same when I swapped frames on my tj but found out there isnt a fuel return, that line is a vapor line to the evap system and when it leaks you will get a engine light and code about a major leak in the system.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
To answer your question you can, I personal just cut the poor section out and flared the ends and installed a rubber fuel line, until I delete the EVAP system and I strongly believe its 5/16th if I remember correctly

I also used 3/16" nickel steel brake line bent easy and I replaced the entire drivers side run. Only about 8" was wasted but why revisit it later