Can send a picture of their stock hood spring and latch devices?

Bigmak2118

Supporting Member
Ok Brother's and Sister's,
I need your help, I cannot find a straight image or answer so I'm hoping someone can send a picture of their stock hood spring and latch devices. I've attached what I'm working with. From what I can piece together I can get a spring that screws in place but I don't seem to have the stock hole or what have you. I may be just looking at this wrong or this is what stock is supposed to look like... thanks for your help in advance.
PXL_20220226_013243662.NIGHT.jpg

Ok Brother's and Sister's,
I need your help, I cannot find a straight image or answer so I'm hoping someone can send a picture of their stock hood spring and latch devices. I've attached what I'm working with. From what I can piece together I can get a spring that screws in place but I don't seem to have the stock hole or what have you. I may be just looking at this wrong or this is what stock is supposed to look like... thanks for your help in advance.View attachment 312165
If I recall correctly "early" 1997 models came with (I think) the YJ style latches not the same latch as late '97 models....

The latch is accessed through the front of the grill not between the grill and hood. This shows how it's mounted inside the grill.
1645844570460.png

IIRC I also think this has been discussed in another thread..... I'll find the link for you....

@Jerry Bransford 's response gives the correct part numbers for early and late 97 TJs
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/97-tj-hood-safety-latch.1879/post-21909

Full thread...
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/97-tj-hood-safety-latch.1879/

If I recall correctly "early" 1997 models came with (I think) the YJ style latches not the same latch as late '97 models....

The latch is accessed through the front of the grill not between the grill and hood. This shows how it's mounted inside the grill.
View attachment 312195

IIRC I also think this has been discussed in another thread..... I'll find the link for you....

@Jerry Bransford 's response gives the correct part numbers for early and late 97 TJs
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/97-tj-hood-safety-latch.1879/post-21909

Full thread...
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/97-tj-hood-safety-latch.1879/
Thanks, yes saw that but I do have the lower latch style. My main question really revolves around the pop up spring. I don't have one and I don't have an indent area like the above poster. Would like to know if it originally had the pop up spring or any other equipment... just feels like I'm missing things. I can now tell I'm missing the hood rest or whatever it's called but who uses that lol

Thanks, yes saw that but I do have the lower latch style. My main question really revolves around the pop up spring. I don't have one and I don't have an indent area like the above poster. Would like to know if it originally had the pop up spring or any other equipment... just feels like I'm missing things. I can now tell I'm missing the hood rest or whatever it's called but who uses that lol

The only early 97 TJ I ever personally worked on did not have a spring so I can't say for certain if it came with one or not.. Even though there is a spring listed in the parts list, the number it says replaces it is for the later model TJs with the latch attached to the hood so it wouldn't be correct for your model anyway....

Sense you didn't add a pic of your grill and latch I assume it looks like this?
From the look of this grill and hood below, it looks like you might be able to mount a spring right next to the latch attached to the grill.

1645855865884.png

You can see what looks like an impression in the paint where a spring snubber pressed against the hood in the pic below.
1645855729978.png

Up to 1-2-97, 1997 TJ After 1-3-97
1645854240649.png

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
The only early 97 TJ I ever personally worked on did not have a spring so I can't say for certain if it came with one or not.. Even though there is a spring listed in the parts list, the number it says replaces it is for the later model TJs with the latch attached to the hood so it wouldn't be correct for your model anyway....

Sense you didn't add a pic of your grill and latch I assume it looks like this?
From the look of this grill and hood below, it looks like you might be able to mount a spring right next to the latch attached to the grill.

View attachment 312214
You can see what looks like an impression in the paint where a spring snubber pressed against the hood in the pic below.
View attachment 312213

Up to 1-2-97, 1997 TJ After 1-3-97
View attachment 312210
Thank you! Great info, I didn't think to look down.

Reactions: reddvltj