Can you DIY repair / straighten a bent fender?

Not_Invented_Here_

TJ Addict
When I acquired my Jeep, the fender had been slightly bent in at some point prior. I'd consider it extremely minor but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in fixing it. The pictures below show it in pretty good detail.

Is this something I could possibly fix myself? The bottom picture shows the opposite fender (unbent) for comparison

IMG_20190529_160910.jpg
IMG_20190529_160933.jpg

IMG_20190529_160917.jpg

To some degree, yes. However, if you want it done right, get a painless dent removal guy. Those guys can seriously work wonders when it comes to massaging metal.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
Yeah I assume you get what you pay for...you have any idea what a reasonable ballpark estimate would be for something like that? I'll probably ignore or see what I can do myself if I'm looking at $100 or more.

Super cool JK btw @Chris

Reactions: Chris
Yeah I assume you get what you pay for...you have any idea what a reasonable ballpark estimate would be for something like that? I'll probably ignore or see what I can do myself if I'm looking at $100 or more.

Super cool JK btw @Chris

Thanks!

I had a recent dent taken out of the JK (only one on it) and he charged me $150. Can't even tell it was there anymore, the guy did an absolutely excellent job!

Best to call for a quote I'm guessing they'd charge you at least several hundred.

You can very easily pull that out like the other side with your hand. That would leave you with the small dent that I circled. Where that is it will be hard to PDR because there is no leverage point to work the rod off. I would give it a yank and see if you could live with the ding. If you give it a shot use gloves because the bottom edge is sharp, and also start off real easy.....it moves a lot quicker than you think it will.

D864AAA6-062B-463F-A158-3A5A1ABE0FDA.jpeg

First, you have to lose those shoes. Chuck Taylor’s, Keds, whatever you call them, are the ugliest shoes on the planet. Once you find you some boots, you’ll be able to massage that fender back into shape easily. You’ll find that bending metal, while sporting manly footwear, becomes more natural, and sometime too easy.

When I acquired my Jeep, the fender had been slightly bent in at some point prior. I'd consider it extremely minor but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in fixing it. The pictures below show it in pretty good detail.

Is this something I could possibly fix myself? The bottom picture shows the opposite fender (unbent) for comparison

View attachment 96806View attachment 96807
View attachment 96809
Nice chuck's. Basic, old school, nice. I usually go for the oddballs.

Sorry, but you shoes make me cringe looking at your pictures. I mean look at it, you got hiking boot socks on with seriously ugly ass tennis shoes that punks used to wear freakin 60 years ago! Lose those things already. Go pick you up some Merrell Moab II’s, or some Solomon’s. Hell, even Walmart sells Rocky SV2’s. Your feet will thank you, and when you do a Cpt. Morgan stance, lookout!

I'm laughing at you recommending Merrell Moabs because it's what I wear and my girlfriend makes fun of me all the time for my lack of style. They're great and I wear them everywhere that requires shoes.

Bottom line is this: If you wear Moabs you aren't allowed to critique style, especially when we can all see that you're a grumpy old dude :p

Yeh BOI - I just hit 30 and I'm in that weird spot where I absolutely do not feel my age at all. I think the shoes are just a one symptom of a bigger issue ha.
Just wait till you hit 50! Although I have to say 30 was the hardest birthday I ever had. It seems like you are middle-aged overnight.

Sorry, but you shoes make me cringe looking at your pictures. I mean look at it, you got hiking boot socks on with seriously ugly ass tennis shoes that punks used to wear freakin 60 years ago! Lose those things already. Go pick you up some Merrell Moab II’s, or some Solomon’s. Hell, even Walmart sells Rocky SV2’s. Your feet will thank you, and when you do a Cpt. Morgan stance, lookout!

Haha, OK now THAT is a valid criticism - pairing those shoes/socks is maximum dork factor BUT....in my defense, I'm wearing them for a reason. I frequently wear climbing shoes that give me some tough blisters and thick ass hiking socks are the only thing comfortable enough to wear while I wait for them to heal.

Hi-tops are always going to look fresher than Merrell Moabs though, I rest my case. We'll just have to agree that these are simply irreconcilable differences between our respective generations and the gap can never be bridged my man.

Get off my grass!!!
Ha ha ha, man I hope you know I’m just messing with you. I have zero style, and couldn’t care less. My kids make fun of me because I wear boots with shorts. The wife says I look like I should be on a “walkabout” in Australia half the time. My Moab’s were worn out last year, and I’m still wearing them. No holes or tape mind you, but they’ve definitely seen better days. I mow my yard wearing jungle boots sometimes, just for the effect. ; )
Edited to add - Boi? Have you ever seen a boi put a rubber on with a tire tool? Ha ha ha

Yeah, the socks are an abomination with those shoes but i was trying to be nice after you ripped him so hard. I wear crocs on the weekend, some weird ripstop nylon chucks i bought in Abu Dhabi for serious car work and dirt, some weird fancy chucks for going someplace nice-ish in shorts, and these for everyday work and nicer places with long pants.

I've got some really old elephant skin boots i break out for weddings and stuff like that.