Can you install lower gears in a NP 231 transfer case?

If you have a 42RLE transmission you can install an Advanced Adapters RubiCrawler unit.

If you have a 42RLE transmission you can install an Advanced Adapters RubiCrawler unit.
Which costs more than regearing both axles does, not to mention the Rubicrawler won't help restore the power lost on the highway due to having installed larger tires like regearing the axles does.

Which costs more than regearing both axles does, not to mention the Rubicrawler won't help restore the power lost on the highway due to having installed larger tires like regearing the axles does.

True, but talk to anyone who has one and I don't think they regret installing one ;)

True, but talk to anyone who has one and I don't think they regret installing one ;)
I would regret installing one if my axles were not geared properly first. Not to mention I don't really see the benefit to the Rubicrawler when it's behind an automatic that inherently allows any ultra-low crawl speed that is desired. All the way down to stopped and any speed above that.

Reactions: EzPeezy
I would regret installing one if my axles were not geared properly first. Not to mention I don't really see the benefit to the Rubicrawler when it's behind an automatic that inherently allows any ultra-low crawl speed that is desired. All the way down to stopped and any speed above that.

In that case, @toximus, how are you enjoying (or not enjoying) that RubiCrawler?

I'm actually genuinely curious since I didn't get to use it much.

If you can find a used Teralow kit that will give you 4:1. They’re out there I recently saw two for sale but those did sell. You might also checkout the 241 4:1 T-case from a TJ Rubicon. Those sell for $1500-2000 and are pretty much a bolt in.

As mentioned, regearing your axles might just give you the desired 4-low crawl your looking for using your stock 231 T-case. I ran 4:1 T-cases and it is super low in everyday use. Depends on what type of wheeling your doing.

...As mentioned, regearing your axles might just give you the desired 4-low crawl your looking for using your stock 231 T-case. I ran 4:1 T-cases and it is super low in everyday use. Depends on what type of wheeling your doing.
Absolutely, 4:1 is too low for some forms of wheeling where you need a lot of wheel speed to get through like mud, snow, or sand. For conditions like that it's hard to beat the 231's standard 2.71 ratio. 4:1 is more for hardcore/difficult trails like rock crawling where the lower the speed, the better.

Reactions: EzPeezy
In that case, @toximus, how are you enjoying (or not enjoying) that RubiCrawler?

I'm actually genuinely curious since I didn't get to use it much.

I really need to go on more trips in different terrain. I've only done 2 off road trips in the last 6 months.

4:1 is too low for some forms of wheeling where you need a lot of wheel speed to get through like mud, snow, or sand.

Snow can be an interesting beast. I've had it where like you said you need wheel speed and I'll even leave it in high. But I've also had it where my engine can barely get the wheels moving in 2.71.

I really need to go on more trips in different terrain. I've only done 2 off road trips in the last 6 months.

Gotcha. Everyone I've talked to who has done serious off-roading in it really seems to love it. One guy was particularly happy about the extra slow speed crawl for going down hills and not having to rely on the brakes as much.

Which costs more than regearing both axles does. . . .

In that case, how are . . . [you Rubi-Crawler owners] . . . enjoying (or not enjoying) that Rubi-Crawler. . . ?

Re: Advance Adapers Rubi-Crawler

My '06 LJR is equipped with 42RLE, Rubi-Crawler underdrive, NV241OR 4:1 transfer case, 5.38 axle gears, and 35" tires.

My observations:

1. A Rubi-Crawler requires a 42RLE transmission. Those with Millennial Anti-Theft Devices (manual transmissions) need not apply.

2. Unlike mating a Rubi-Crawler with a 241OR transfer case which results in low ranges of 2.72:1, 4.0:1 and 10:88:1, mating a Rubi-Crawler with a 231 transfer case results in low ranges of 2.72:1 and 7.40:1.

3. It is not a question of gears or Rubi-Crawler or even which is installed first. They address entirely different issues.

4. The greatest benefit from a Rubi-Crawler is providing a 2.72 "middle" range in addition to the 241OR 4.0:1 low range. Except for technical rock crawling and other extreme circumstances, for most jeepers there will be little utility to the 7.40:1 and 10.88:1 ultra low ranges.

5. The 2.72:1 low range ratio is better suited than 4.0:1 to sand, snow and other environments that require greater wheel speed. It is also better suited to most forest service roads and BLM jeep trails.

6. There are also many situations where a 4.0:1 low range ratio works better, e.g., rock crawling.

7. I enjoy having both 2.72:1 and 4.0:1 low ranges. I use both on almost every trip. As noted above, it isn't a question of gears or underdrive.

8. Two features I like are being able to shift from 2.72:1 2WD to 2.72 4WD on the fly and that the factory lockers and dash indicators work in all three low ranges.

9. It wasn't cheap, but I'm worth it. ;)

I think I will re-gear my axles, but which gears, I have 35" tires with a 5-inch lift, 4.0 with an auto 3-speed transmission. I do drive to work in it as well so I was thinking 4:10's or 4:56's gears any thoughts?