Can you retrofit a distributor to a coil equipped 4.0?

Bammo68

TJ Enthusiast
This question relates to a separate stroker build post but I wanted to know if anyone had a clear, definitive answer on this one question as I am struggling to get clarity on it:

Can I retrofit a 2002 4.0 block with a distributor instead of the coil pack? I'm looking to use that '02 motor in my 1999 (suitably converted in terms of accessories etc). Is there any reason why an '02 block wouldn't work with a distributor in place of the coil packs? All the wiring and ECU etc is setup for a distributor right now and I don't want to change all that. I'm wondering here if it is as simple as removed the 02 camshaft position sensor that sits in the hole, fitting a '99 position sensor (which is a totally different type of sensor) and fitting a new distributor.

Cheers

The distributor will fit in the hole, because the hold is the same across all blocks. So to answer your specific question, yes that would work fine.

Where you are going to run into trouble that you may not have considered yet is that the ‘00-‘06 blocks switched to a new accessory mounting using different brackets and different bolt holes in the block. AC moved over to the left side from the right side. The intake changed which I believe changed the PS pump mounting and I think the alternator bracket was different and the new alternator design meant for that bracket is for sure wired differently.

Reactions: Rickyd
Yep I'm aware there is going to be some shennanigans with the AC and other stuff - wasnt aware of the PS pump mount but I have both sets and reckon I can solve that. I was just trying to eliminate one issue at a time and I couldnt think of a good reason why the distributor wouldnt work!

Yep I'm aware there is going to be some shennanigans with the AC and other stuff - wasnt aware of the PS pump mount but I have both sets and reckon I can solve that. I was just trying to eliminate one issue at a time and I couldnt think of a good reason why the distributor wouldnt work!

Nah, you’ll be good on that one for sure. The oil pump drive, cam gear, and block hole are all the same.

Holes for older ignition coil style might not be there in the newer block - might need to find a different hole to mount to and extend wiring or build a bracket or something.

As for the other stuff, I think you’ll pretty much want the 2000+ alternator and its factory bracket. Need to change the wiring a bit to make that work.

AC lines - the ones from a 2000+ might work, since I believe the heater core location is the same place on the firewall. Wiring would need to be run over there.

Will need to use the 2000+ water pump from then on and associated fan clutch.

PS is the one I don’t know about, I want to say your stock pump won’t bolt up to the new intake and so you might need the later model. I do recall the PS also relies on the older water pump so you will probably be Forced to switch to the newer PS pump and bracket.

Either way I’m sure you can get it done, just wanted to make it known that it won’t be just a simple bolt up swap

So I have an '02 PS pump, alternator and AC compressor along with brackets. Extending the alternator wiring doesn't phase me as all. The bit that makes me hesitant is that I went to a *lot* of trouble to get AC added to my '99 and I feel like I would be throwing all that effort away, but its probably not that big a deal. The issue I had was that finding RHD '99 AC lines was basically impossible and I had to have custom ones fabricated that, of course, now won't fit the '02 placement and the oddball AC flanges on the condenser which are unique to '99 models. All do-able, but my dream of this being a simple swap is rapidly turning into a bigger project!

The distributor will fit in the hole, because the hold is the same across all blocks. So to answer your specific question, yes that would work fine.

Where you are going to run into trouble that you may not have considered yet is that the ‘00-‘06 blocks switched to a new accessory mounting using different brackets and different bolt holes in the block. AC moved over to the left side from the right side. The intake changed which I believe changed the PS pump mounting and I think the alternator bracket was different and the new alternator design meant for that bracket is for sure wired differently.

The later horseshoe intake is interchangeable with earlier ps pumps and accessories. But like you said,the bolt holes in the block are wrong

Reactions: machoheadgames