Can you use the heater control panel for Tjs with a/c on a TJ that doesn't have a/c?

rokryder

Supporting Member
Faced with possibly replacing the control panel and blend door actuators on my 2002 TJ. Prior owner had disconnected the vacuum at the engine. I haven't tested it yet, but I am assuming it was disconnected due to a vacuum leak in the lines, blend door actuators or control panel. Most all of the aftermarket control panels are for TJs with a/c. Can these also be used for those TJs that do not have a/c?
Does anyone know what the actual differences are between the Mopar numbers 55037472AB and 55037472AA or Standard Motor Products HS-372 and HS-373?

Thanks!
Kim

Last edited:
Having just replaced this panel on my TJ with AC, I'm willing to bet the vacuum hose interface is the same, but the A/C version just has the additional 2-pin switch to engage the AC compressor clutch.

If you post a picture of the line manifold plug that goes into the back of your HVAC panel I will compare it with mine, which has AC.

Having just replaced this panel on my TJ with AC, I'm willing to bet the vacuum hose interface is the same, but the A/C version just has the additional 2-pin switch to engage the AC compressor clutch.

If you post a picture of the line manifold plug that goes into the back of your HVAC panel I will compare it with mine, which has AC.
For my 98 the vacuum harness was the same. (They changed it 3 times I believe) but I did the opposite before my Jeep that had ac I put one that only had heater and fan controls and it worked just fine ( other then not having ac) so I assume yes It should work.

Looking at the kit to install AC in a non-AC jeep, the AC panel also controls an additional blend door actuator, and that port will probably need to be plugged if you don't have and AC plenum.

Great news. Now we may be able to get some heat and defrost functions on those chilly nights (okay, we are in Florida!) when we want to take the Jeep for a spin.

That's what I was hoping...a switch to control the a/c clutch and possibly an additional vacuum circuit for the recirculate function. I just wasn't sure if the terminals lined up the same on the switches between the two, requiring a different plug.
Thank you all for your help and guidance!
Kim

For my 98 the vacuum harness was the same. (They changed it 3 times I believe) but I did the opposite before my Jeep that had ac I put one that only had heater and fan controls and it worked just fine ( other then not having ac) so I assume yes It should work.
Thank you!
Kim