Cannot get skid plate to line back up

Midtenn

TJ Addict
i removed the OEM skid to install a SYE and DCDS. I got all that installed fine. I’m trying to put the OEM skid back on and it won’t seem to bolt up.

is it okay to elongate the holes and buy a larger washer or is there a trick to this I’m missing. If anything wouldn’t it bolt up easier since it’s going back to the original configuration.

I’ve included some pictures to clarify.

B50AD76F-CD28-42FA-B3E1-F6799AC2863D.jpeg

D9FAA3D8-41E0-40C0-8FC8-E1F11E4FA34E.jpeg

E94494E0-CA65-42F1-A7A4-788AA9E67AA5.jpeg

Did you by any chance remove the transmission mount?

I know this is a bad picture but is there any way to shift the drivetrain to the right just a hair? If so, then the transmission mount won’t block the skid from going up

5848C46C-2062-4D5A-8C56-59568E295666.jpeg

Did you by any chance remove the transmission mount?
I did not but those bolts are what’s blocking me. Right now the transmission is being held up by a jack stand. Can I temporarily let it hang and see if I can shift the transmission over about 1/4”?

I can't tell from the photos - did you have the transmission supported while you had the skid plate off? If not, it would sag quite a bit and make it difficult to get the skid plate back on.

Edit: You answered this question as I was asking it lol. What I would do is what someone else said above: put the transmission mount bolts through their holes and then jack up the skid until it touches the frame. The holes won't line up. Rotate the skid until one corner hole does line up, bolt it in (not tight yet) and then try to rotate it until the opposing corner also lines up. Then they should all be lined up. You may have to raise and lower the skid very small amounts as you go to get things to line up.

I can't tell from the photos - did you have the transmission supported while you had the skid plate off? If not, it would sag quite a bit and make it difficult to get the skid plate back on.

Edit: You answered this question as I was asking it lol. What I would do is what someone else said above: put the transmission mount bolts through their holes and then jack up the skid until it touches the frame. The holes won't line up. Rotate the skid until one corner hole does line up, bolt it in (not tight yet) and then try to rotate it until the opposing corner also lines up. Then they should all be lined up. You may have to raise and lower the skid very small amounts as you go to get things to line up.
I have not had any success with the latter method. What if I let the transmission off the jack stand momentarily? I think the transmission is out of line, not the skid.

No reason to elongate the holes. If it fit before you removed it, it will fit again.

As previously stated, make sure the trans is jacked up and not hanging. Get the skid up with the trans mount bolts poking through and just get a few threads started on alternate sides. Once the bolts are started, tighten them in a cross pattern and let the bolts bring the skid in.

the reason why i feel that way is by using the transmission bolts as a guide, I can get 3 to line up on one side but zero on the other. If I use longer bolts such that the skid is hanging below the transmission bolts, the skid lines up just fine.

I have not had any success with the latter method. What if I let the transmission off the jack stand momentarily? I think the transmission is out of line, not the skid.
Lateral movement could have occured. If you are using a floor jack with wheels, you should be able to give a little movement to line it up.

I had the same problem, I guess the trans had shifted a smidge during the process... I hung the skid from the trans mount then kind of manhandled the trans while it was supported by a floor jack. I was able to shift it just enough to get one bolt on each side of the skid to line up with the frame.

I've done it a few times on both my old 05 and current 06 and really did not have much trouble with it, which is unusual for me. Used a jack to raise it then start one bolt on one side, one bolt on the other side then lowered the jack. Then install other bolts until I have them all in and hanging by the bolts that were only in a turn or two. Once I had it all lined up I used the jack to raise it rather than turn the bolts up and put stress on the nut serts. Tighten the skid plate bolts then the transmission mount bolts.

When I pulled my skid to do my cable shifter I used the floor jack to lift the transmission up and into place on the skid when reinstalling. Don't be afraid to give it some side to side nudging. It's all mounted via bushing for that very reason.

Not recommended, you have something in a bind or not straigt.

loosen and remove any and all bolts, use your floor jack in the center of your skid plate, and support all for corners separately with jack stands or blocks.

then starting at one corner screw a bolt in just until it is started, work your way around with the others, when all are started tighten to spec torque.

Sometimes when you jack it up, the motor and transmission will shift. Best to keep it supported, in front of the skid. Mount the skid first (not tightening the bolts all the way), then lower the trans, moving it gently back and fourth until the trans mount holes line up. Then lower it and start tightening the bolts.

The picture in post 4 looks like the trans mount isn’t off by very much. If that pic has all the skid bolts started and it’s only off by that much, I’d try to slightly lift the trans with a floor Jack until the bolts aren’t touching the skid then try to push it over until they line up and lower the trans.

I would not just force/push the trans and slide the bolts until they drop in. You might smash something you don’t want to, like a finger.

Reactions: Irun