Canyon wheels don't fit in the rear

plywood

I just bought KO2 31's for my 1999 tj with the 4 cyl motor. I had them mounted on canyon wheels that I had been saving till my old tires wore out. The canyon wheels fit in the front axel but not on the rear. Apparently, the rear brake drum got in the way. Is the canyon wheel meant for the 6 cyl? Do I need to get a different wheel?

I see that the canyon specs have a 25mm offset and the basic wheels that would have come with the jeep would have a 38 mm off set. Would that matter? I'll get my tech dept (oldest son) to help me post a photo.

Attached are photos for my situation. I hope someone will be able to help me. Thanks

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

They should fit every stock TJ axle. If someone has done an axle swap, the bolt pattern could be different. Canyon wheels have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The 5 means 5 studs, the 4.5 means 4.5” from the center of one stud to the back side of second stud. Measure according to the pic below and see if the stud pattern is 4.5”.

A28ABEA9-EDDD-4AE1-AE93-5430C68BD9EC.png

The bottom picture of the canyon wheel shows that the wheel fits on the lug pattern but the lugs don't come out far enough to get a lug nut on the threads. This appears to be a result of the the round center section of the drum sticking out on photos 3 and 4 which is larger than the round center section of the canyon wheel. Thus the wheel is held out too far and won't sit flat against the drum. I hope this seems clear. Does anyone know if this drum is standard. I don't have anything to compare the drum to.

The bottom picture of the canyon wheel shows that the wheel fits on the lug pattern but the lugs don't come out far enough to get a lug nut on the threads. This appears to be a result of the the round center section of the drum sticking out on photos 3 and 4 which is larger than the round center section of the canyon wheel. Thus the wheel is held out too far and won't sit flat against the drum. I hope this seems clear. Does anyone know if this drum is standard. I don't have anything to compare the drum to.
Try new drum from the parts store

The center protruding axle end needs to fit 100% into the wheel. This is where the "hub centric" vs hub centric comes into play FYI. The axle looks kinda rusty and I can see from the pic that the wheel when on part way but not all the way due to the rust it appears. There is also a slight beveled edge to the wheel and a slight tapered edge on the axle.Kinda hard to tell but it looks like you have a 1/4" or so to go before the wheel is seated. The only other comment would be the correct lugs for those wheels and if your are the right type for them allowing plenty of thread coverage.

Reactions: SSTJ
Did you actually try to put the lug nuts on and snug them down or was this just a visual test?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Verify the above suggestions 1st. Otherwise, it's possible the studs were replaced at some point in the Jeeps life. Pull one out and head to the parts store to compare them. On old vehicles I always replace the studs anyway. You have no idea if some moron has repeatedly over torqued them. You could also use some extended thread lug nuts but on factory wheels they really shouldn't be needed.

that's not part of the drum, that's part of the axle shaft, and it should fit inside the center bore of the wheel. Sometimes rust buildup will make that fitment more tight than it should be so it's hard to get the wheel on by hand. Try starting the nuts on and just snug them as blaine suggests above and see if it pulls the wheel tight against the drum.

You have short studs. You need either to replace the studs with some that are longer, or find an ET lug nut that will fit your wheel. Should fit over the axle hub if you clean the rust off of it.

The additional shank on the ET will engage additional threads of the short studs, if they will fit the lug bore in your wheel.

1632251588174.png

Can you send some pics of the front, where you said they fit fine? Wondering if the rear studs are any different (shorter) than the front ones. But the studs in your pics sure don't look recently replaced.

I also second Blaine's question: did you actually try securing the lug nuts or was this just a visual concern?

You have short studs. You need either to replace the studs with some that are longer, or find an ET lug nut that will fit your wheel. Should fit over the axle hub if you clean the rust off of it.

The additional shank on the ET will engage additional threads of the short studs, if they will fit the lug bore in your wheel.

View attachment 278535
I run ET lugs front and rear, they work very well for those common short stud issues. I run an open thread style, these... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019XEVEXK/?tag=wranglerorg-20