Car pics too cool not to share

Some time back in the mid to late 80s I saw one of those for sale at a "bottom-of-the-line" used car lot. I had no idea what it really was and it wasn't wrecked nor rusted but in very shabby condition, which was the same condition of every Bradley GT I'd ever seen until a few years ago. That caused me to pull in, lean out my aircooled Beetle driver's window and ask the dealer (owner?) standing there, "What is that kit car?" I don't think I even got an answer other than him just glaring at me like I insulted his wife. IIRC, he was a short, fat Italian smoking a short and fat cigar.

I've had to educate a couple of "used car lots" on exactly what it was they were trying to sell to me. One salesman went so far as to take notes. The cars in question were a '72 and a '73 Jensen Interceptor (both on the same lot!), and a '67 AMC Marlin.

All of our "big" cars got smaller, and our "small" cars got bigger. It's a topsy-turvy world we live in...
Creeping size is yet another problem. Just look at JK/JL compared to TJ/YJ, and TJ/YJ compared to CJ - and CJs as they get older. Honda had to introduce a new small car (the Fit) because their previous small car (the Civic) kept getting bigger and bigger with each iteration.

Reactions: Squatch
I want one!!! The Chevrolet Opala SS (I've never even heard of one, before)...
1660577456983.png

1660577484009.png

1660577528389.png

Creeping size is yet another problem. Just look at JK/JL compared to TJ/YJ, and TJ/YJ compared to CJ - and CJs as they get older. Honda had to introduce a new small car (the Fit) because their previous small car (the Civic) kept getting bigger and bigger with each iteration.

My '90 Dodge diesel pickup is dwarfed by modern Toyota pickups. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and reddvltj
All of our "big" cars got smaller, and our "small" cars got bigger. It's a topsy-turvy world we live in...

And they've gotten fat while using lighter materials. Once again, I blame government bureaucrats.

I have a '99 Acura Integra (fancy Civic) and an '08 Civic. The size difference between the two is noticeable inside and out, with the '08 being bigger and fatter.

On the flip side, a Chrysler 300 can pull up beside of my '65 New Yorker and again there's a noticeable difference in size, mainly length, 2 feet according to internet info ('65 being longer), 6 inch width difference ('65 being wider). Nearly identical book weights.

Here's an Allard that I saw back in 2009 but I haven't seen it since. The owner did tell me all about it but I unfortunately don't remember anything beyond taking these pictures.
20090611 (1).JPG

20090611 (9).JPG

20090611 (8).JPG

20090611 (6).JPG

20090611 (1).JPG

And FWIW, that's my VW Rabbit Diesel Truck in the background so here's a timeline of my ownership:

My son at 11 months after I trailered the Rabbit's dead ass home when I bought it.
Matthew 027.jpg

My daughter in early 2003. I had driven the truck off and on for at least 2 yrs by this point:
P3150056.JPG

August 2003 I had enough of 4 skinny tires so added MKII Jetta wheels on the rear because they're wider:
20030801 (2).JPG

May of 2007 I decided the shabby tan color couldn't remain. Step 1 results:
20070522.JPG

July 2007 Step 2 results, Black chalkboard body with red wheels:
20070715 (3).JPG

Aug 2007 I'm not sure how I thought that Scirocco Tarantula wheels would be an improvement:
20070812.JPG

Here it is where the Allard pictures were taken in 2009:

PICT0930.JPG

It's a little hard to tell in that picture but the rear wheels are from a VW Dasher. They look the same as the skinny Rabbit wheels but were wider like those MKII Jetta wheels:
20100809 (1).JPG

And here in July of 2009 it's in it's glory as the second attraction to my son's 11th birthday party, he's the taller one looking over the roof.
20090724 (2).JPG

And here it it in Aug 2011, awaiting a trailer to arrive to take it to it's next owner. He originally said he was looking for one to use for parts but decided this one will stay and his current truck would become the parts donor.
20120913 (2).JPG

Here's an Allard that I saw back in 2009 but I haven't seen it since. The owner did tell me all about it but I unfortunately don't remember anything beyond taking these pictures.
View attachment 351201

View attachment 351198

View attachment 351199

View attachment 351200

View attachment 351201

And FWIW, that's my VW Rabbit Diesel Truck in the background so here's a timeline of my ownership:

My son at 11 months after I trailered the Rabbit's dead ass home when I bought it.
View attachment 351205

My daughter in early 2003. I had driven the truck off and on for at least 2 yrs by this point:
View attachment 351206

August 2003 I had enough of 4 skinny tires so added MKII Jetta wheels on the rear because they're wider:
View attachment 351207

May of 2007 I decided the shabby tan color couldn't remain. Step 1 results:
View attachment 351209

July 2007 Step 2 results, Black chalkboard body with red wheels:
View attachment 351210

Aug 2007 I'm not sure how I thought that Scirocco Tarantula wheels would be an improvement:
View attachment 351214

Here it is where the Allard pictures were taken in 2009:

View attachment 351203

It's a little hard to tell in that picture but the rear wheels are from a VW Dasher. They look the same as the skinny Rabbit wheels but were wider like those MKII Jetta wheels:
View attachment 351215

And here in July of 2009 it's in it's glory as the second attraction to my son's 11th birthday party, he's the taller one looking over the roof.
View attachment 351217

And here it it in Aug 2011, awaiting a trailer to arrive to take it to it's next owner. He originally said he was looking for one to use for parts but decided this one will stay and his current truck would become the parts donor.
View attachment 351220

I always found it humorous that the little Rabbit pickups were called a "Caddy". Not the first thing I think of when hearing that name... ;)

@Squatch and @Zorba

C'mon guys... the standard cab long bed trucks do still exist from all 3 American manufacturers from 1/2 ton through 2 ton weight ratings.

View attachment 351301

View attachment 351300

View attachment 351299

and now thanks to Chevy, you can get the standard cab "super short" bed...
View attachment 351297

I virtually never see them in this area. Everyone drives something that has more doors than an airport limo, and has the audacity to proclaim "SPORT" on its oversized flanks. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj