Car pics too cool not to share

Not familiar with that particular Olds at all - I thought it was a Lincoln at first glance (We had a '64 convertible when I was a kid).
It's a '64 Starfire. The '61 Starfire is much more recognizable to most...

1649297736677.png

1649297853869.png

Not familiar with that particular Olds at all - I thought it was a Lincoln at first glance (We had a '64 convertible when I was a kid).

Yep so did I.

I had a 61 Lincoln with rear suicide doors and the front seat reclined all the way into the rear seat. It was the drive-in going rig let me tell you all. Well those who are old enough to remember them. It had a 460 in it and could haul ass for the boat that it was. You could pack 7 people into it pretty easy and I had 4 in the front and 6 in the rear once.

Yep so did I.

I had a 61 Lincoln with rear suicide doors and the front seat reclined all the way into the rear seat. It was the drive-in going rig let me tell you all. Well those who are old enough to remember them. It had a 460 in it and could haul ass for the boat that it was. You could pack 7 people into it pretty easy and I had 4 in the front and 6 in the rear once.
Unless you did an engine swap, that actually would have had a 430 in it. The 430 was an MEL designation (Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln). The 460 came out sometime in the late '60s, if I recall. I had a '58 Ford 2-door sedan with a 462 Lincoln in it (out of a '67 Lincoln). That's the only reason why I'm familiar with the Lincoln engines.

Reactions: ColoJeep and BlueC
Unless you did an engine swap, that actually would have had a 430 in it. The 430 was an MEL designation (Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln). The 460 came out sometime in the late '60s, if I recall. I had a '58 Ford 2-door sedan with a 462 Lincoln in it (out of a '67 Lincoln). That's the only reason why I'm familiar with the Lincoln engines.

OK I was young and dumb back then. So as far as I know it had a stock engine in it. Still was a sweet ride for what it was. Gave it to my sister when I joined the Army.

Reactions: Squatch
OK I was young and dumb back then. So as far as I know it had a stock engine in it. Still was a sweet ride for what it was. Gave it to my sister when I joined the Army.
Wasn't trying to be a jerk, brother. It's just one of those things I happened to know. And yes, they're a sweet engine. With that many cubic inches under the hood, even the largest barge was bound to be a joy to drive. Mine had a Holley 750 double-pumper on it. Ran a 430 Mercury Marauder driver's side exhaust manifold on it to clear the steering column shaft. The car hauled butt, for sure.

Reactions: Wildman
The car hauled butt, for sure.
Yea they did. Handled like complete dogshit from my 10 year old recollection, but they'd get up and go. Fishtail like crazy if you stomped the brakes. I remember one time my dad was driving, I was passenger, we were flying down a country road about 2 miles from home - at nite. The headlites suddenly went out! Dad stood on the brakes, and the headlites came back on. It never happened again, although I heard years later that Lincolns of that era were known for doing that - something about exhaust heat overheating a relay as I recall. Ours was a super-dark midnight blue with a white convertible top. Power everything - which is the genesis of my not liking power equipment to this day as there was always something wrong with the power crap.

But it was a cush ride, we took it on a road trip from California to Kentucky, then down to NOLA and back in 1967. Everybody really liked watching the power convertible top do its thing. I remember a bird getting tangled up with that sharp hood ornament - it flopped around up there for several hours before it fell away in the slipstream.

Reactions: Squatch and Wildman
Wasn't trying to be a jerk, brother. It's just one of those things I happened to know. And yes, they're a sweet engine. With that many cubic inches under the hood, even the largest barge was bound to be a joy to drive. Mine had a Holley 750 double-pumper on it. Ran a 430 Mercury Marauder driver's side exhaust manifold on it to clear the steering column shaft. The car hauled butt, for sure.

Never thought you were.... I just always thought it was a 460... But at this point I really don't remember. Been too long.
I traded my 64 Chevy p/u with a 283 running a Corvette dual quad high rise for it. The truck was inop with a broken trailing arm.

I took no offense as I honestly thought it was a 460 but I was only 17.

Never thought you were.... I just always thought it was a 460... But at this point I really don't remember. Been too long.
I traded my 64 Chevy p/u with a 283 running a Corvette dual quad high rise for it. The truck was inop with a broken trailing arm.

I took no offense as I honestly thought it was a 460 but I was only 17.
Thanks, man. It's never (okay, rarely) my intention to be an ass about something, though it sometimes comes out that way, regardless. It would really bother me if I offended someone I cared about.

I was into the '60-'66 Chevy pickups in my youth. My first vehicle (that was drivable) was a '60 Chev 1/2-ton, and two of my buddies had '65s. Those coil spring rear suspensions were a nice ride, but fairly lame when it came to hauling anything (at least in the 1/2-ton version).

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks, man. It's never (okay, rarely) my intention to be an ass about something, though it sometimes comes out that way, regardless. It would really bother me if I offended someone I cared about.

I was into the '60-'66 Chevy pickups in my youth. My first vehicle (that was drivable) was a '60 Chev 1/2-ton, and two of my buddies had '65s. Those coil spring rear suspensions were a nice ride, but fairly lame when it came to hauling anything (at least in the 1/2-ton version).
200.gif

• Haha
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Wildman and Squatch
You shoulda bought a GMC. No coils and better engine! :D

Power everything - which is the genesis of my not liking power equipment to this day as there was always something wrong with the power crap.

I've been told to stay away from those Lincolns. Apparently the electrical work in them is a known problem and gets expensive fast.

So what is a Spartan trailer?

Yesterday we took a little trip down to the USAF Museum in Dayton OH. Coming home northbound on I-75 we passed a modern pickup towing a Spartan trailer. Very rare to see, and then, a few minutes later, passed another new pickup towing a vintage Airstream trailer. I didn't get a single pic.

Reactions: Zorba and Squatch
There is an Imperial Mansion in a little rinky-dink trailer court within walking distance of my house. Looks to be in good shape.

There is an Imperial Mansion in a little rinky-dink trailer court within walking distance of my house. Looks to be in good shape.
The interiors in the Spartans are something else. Gorgeous!

Btw, thanks for that tidbit on the GMC trucks being a leaf spring rear suspension. I never knew that. Looked it up after you stated it, and found out something else I never knew: You could order the GMC with the coils as an option, and you could order the Chevy with the leaf springs as an option. Huh. Ya learn something new every day.

Reactions: Zorba
What that puppy could look like with a little clean-up...

View attachment 321137

Love that Spartan. They're such classy trailers.
When I saw that I was thinking maybe that Starfire copied what Lincoln started in 1961, the chrome peak at the top of the front fenders stretching all the way to the back of the car.

It's a '64 Starfire. The '61 Starfire is much more recognizable to most...

View attachment 321148
View attachment 321149

The '61 is much more recognizable but I think with sides like that, the 1960 Ford Falcon must have offered some inspiration. At least that Starfire looks much better than those early Falcons. Every time I saw an early Falcon I wasn't sure if they were bowed up in the center or down on each end. Either way, it wasn't good.