Car pics too cool not to share

1963.5 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint 289 V8

1704093573456.png

1959 Dodge Custom Royal
1704094965208.png

While fans of the Bowtie and Blue Oval debate endlessly about their vintage brand, there are those who have long preferred the dynamic styling of Virgil Exner and the late Fifties Dodges he had a hand in creating. One such example is this 1959 two-door Custom Royal hardtop.
1704095178478.png

Offered in four body styles (four-door sedan and Lancer hardtop, two-door Lancer hardtop and convertible), each was constructed on a perimeter frame sporting five crossmembers and boxed side rails--convertibles added an X-brace--with a 122-inch wheelbase. The "forward look" of the 217-inch-long body is best described as a symbol of motion; from the recessed quad lamps to the long, low and sleek swept-back fins, and even the exposed brake lamp lenses. In fact, the taillamps were described as a safety element, visible in profile. Styling firsts included compound curved windshields.
1704095126364.png

Those seated inside a Custom Royal were immersed in opulence: full carpet floors, bench seats clad with cloth and vinyl bolsters. Among the options were swivel bucket seats, electric clock, radio, air conditioning and power seats. For color-blind drivers, the all-new tri-color speedometer proved to be somewhat troublesome. With no hand to follow, the gauge is divided into three segments and speed is indicated by color in each. Specifically, green is displayed to indicate speeds from 0 to 30 MPH, where it then changes to yellow until the vehicle hits 50 MPH, when the indicator changes to red.
Back in 1957, the Automobile Manufacturers' Association had pulled their support from motorsports. But that didn't mean performance had evaporated from under the hood with its withdrawal. It continued to escalate, thanks in part to public demand.

As an example, 1959's base engine in each Custom Royal was the "Ram Fire" 361-cu.in. V-8 topped by a four-barrel carburetor. With a 10:1 compression ratio, the engine packed a 305hp punch and 400-lbs.ft. of torque; that's 45 more horses than the base offering in 1957. If that wasn't enough power, the D-500 option would net a 383-cu.in. engine, four-barrel carburetor, 320hp and 420-lbs.ft. of torque. Topping the list was the Super D-500: the same 383 block topped by dual quads that produced a factory rating of 345hp and 425-lbs.ft. of torque. The famed push-button TorqueFlite automatic backed each of these available engines; no manual transmission was available.

Supporting each Custom Royal was an independent torsion bar (Torsion-Aire) system under the front end. Aside from the torsion bars, "anti-dipping" upper and lower control arms and shock absorbers were key components. Also typical was the use of a semi-elliptical, five-leaf parallel leaf spring rear suspension system. Dodge did offer the one-year-only Level-Flite rear air suspension option, which was a pneumatic leveling device--better described as air bags as well as springs. Many were converted to a leaf-spring system.

In the end, Dodge built 21,206 Custom Royal models in 1959 (no wagons were offered in this series), 6,278 of which were Lancer two-door hardtops.

This Nomad has one of the best pro paint jobs I've seen . Lose the wheels and Fiero exhaust and you would have one of the nicest 57 Nomads out there !

I agree that the wheels need to be something more classic to fit (look) right. I'm not sure if I like or dislike the twin exhaust tips or not.

Some of the prices of those cars from that place.... DAMN....

And yes I'd missed the chop job.

The best part is the chop is so mild you don't notice it right away , Think 58 Impala vs. 58 BelAir. I definitely saw the chop , but the JC Whitney exhaust flipped me out . :oops:

Well, being the huge tri-five Chebby fan that I am, it kinda jumped out at me. :LOL: Actually, it's subtle enough that I felt fairly sure the lid had been lowered, but still sought confirmation before commenting on it. While I'm not necessarily a fan of the exhaust tips, it's the wheels that are more offensive to me. Anymore, though, I just accept that most of us have some level of disapproval in regard to the choice of wheels used in a lot of these builds. I get that it's the owner's own personal tastes, but still, some of them are just so wrong for the car.