Car pics too cool not to share

Have any of you heard of this new(ish) thing that kids are doing where through some manner of fuckery, they get their exhaust to "pop" (backfire?) like gunshots? I live right next to I-5, and I hear this nonsense all too often. It sounds like they're letting off the throttle, and then there's a rapid-fire succession of popping sounds. Anyone heard this before? Anyone know what it is they've done to their rides to make them do this? It's a far cry far from a standard backfire. Something has to have been done to create this ridiculous fad.

Fuck I'd HATE that... My PTSD would be in full swing all the time... I'd be up on I-5 & in the news for threatening motorists I'm sure..

Sounds ridiculous to me, but it is what it is. It's not like any of the things we did to our cars as kids looked foolish to our parents...;)

You mean like flames shooting out the tailpipes?

Fuck I'd HATE that... My PTSD would be in full swing all the time... I'd be up on I-5 & in the news for threatening motorists I'm sure..

You wouldn't be the only one who thought it was gun shots. To be honest, this one really does sound like some rounds going off.

Reactions: Squatch
You mean like flames shooting out the tailpipes?

I'm thinking like staring at the ground while driving.

1712948244727.png

My generation didn't succumb to that kind of foolishness. :sneaky:

I'm thinking like staring at the ground while driving.

View attachment 518021

My generation didn't succumb to that kind of foolishness. :sneaky:

I rather LIKE that raked look...

You wouldn't be the only one who thought it was gun shots. To be honest, this one really does sound like some rounds going off.

It's been almost 20 years and you still don't make loud unexpected noises around me as I might not react nicely.

Reactions: BlueC and Squatch
I'm familiar with it. Some of this dumbassery.

I'm familiar with it in the terms of racing. It's the 'ol "stutter-box" or "two-step". I think these dumb fucks are using the same tech, but just hammering on their cars out in public with no other purpose than making a scene. Also, some are probably just hammering the valve train via rev limiter.

That sounds quite a bit different than what I'm hearing, though I have heard what you've posted from some of the local "drifters" in the area. I assumed they were hitting the rev-limiter when I heard those sounds. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Wildman
That sounds quite a bit different than what I'm hearing, though I have heard what you've posted from some of the local "drifters" in the area. I assumed they were hitting the rev-limiter when I heard those sounds. 🤷‍♂️

Are you hearing some turbo "anti-lag" devices like this?

Well, hell...maybe that is what I'm hearing. I always thought I'd hear the RPMs drop before it happened, like they lifted off the throttle, or something. I'm going to have to pay closer attention, now. ;)

For me, it was that I was seeing the outline of the taillights. Never even considered what you pointed out, though that's equally telling. Because, you know, shit like this is important to us. ;)

I'm just glad it bothered someone else as much as me , (sitting here squinting at an important image on the computer to see if it's a 60 rather than the 59 I was sure of. ) :LOL:

• Haha
I'm just glad it bothered someone else as much as me , (sitting here squinting at an important image on the computer to see if it's a 60 rather than the 59 I was sure of. ) :LOL:

I sometimes worry that I come across as a prick when I sweat the details of something so unimportant as that. Then I stop and consider who I'm associating with. Ya'll are just as bad! :ROFLMAO: Besides, we should get our education where we can, no? ;)

I sometimes worry that I come across as a prick when I sweat the details of something so unimportant as that. Then I stop and consider who I'm associating with. Ya'll are just as bad! :ROFLMAO: Besides, we should get our education where we can, no? ;)

I can't say there aren't as many things that bother me but then again I can be pretty annal about some things too.

Have any of you heard of this new(ish) thing that kids are doing where through some manner of fuckery, they get their exhaust to "pop" (backfire?) like gunshots? I live right next to I-5, and I hear this nonsense all too often. It sounds like they're letting off the throttle, and then there's a rapid-fire succession of popping sounds. Anyone heard this before? Anyone know what it is they've done to their rides to make them do this? It's a far cry far from a standard backfire. Something has to have been done to create this ridiculous fad.

I assume you aren't referring to overrun or "the burble"... :geek:

I do not want to like this, but I do...I do like this!

*Okay, I need some serious therapy.

After spending so many hours in one I just can't see it as a platform for a hot rod. But I'm sure many WWII veterans said the same about guys chopping up Flatties.