Car pics too cool not to share

I don't know about this one... Is it AI? If not how the HECK do you drive that thing? I'd be hunched over if I was sitting in it and I'm not that tall.

View attachment 524028
Not sure if it's AI or not (probably not) but "real" it isn't. At least it looks awfully fake to me especially this part of the second pic.

Screenshot_20240503_223403_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
the power produced by that lovely (and distinct) sounding Ford/Cosworth DFV engine

Another sample of the music created by this wonderful engine.

One of the most successful and longest lived racing engines ever built, and it all started in the 1967 F1 season in the above car, the Lotus 49...which also has the distinction (arguably) of being one of the sexiest racing machines ever built.

Lotus 49.jpg

1967-lotus-type-49-f1-racer1.jpg

1967-lotus-type-49-f1-racer2.jpg

IsQ9LMH0Rn6cfHDoXo1ksg-1514700061.jpg

e336afba906c2c22eafd15ff6041de7e.jpg

gettyimages-951890082-1677256671.jpg

The 1939 GM Futurliner was a concept vehicle created by General Motors for their "Parade of Progress" traveling exhibition. It stood at 33 feet long and featured a futuristic design with a streamlined shape and a canopy-style roof. Only 12 were ever built, each serving as a mobile showroom for innovations in technology and design. They showcased advancements in transportation and industry, captivating audiences across North America during the late 1930s and early 1940s.

1714886691158.png

1714886720331.png

1714886755778.png

What engine is that? It looks like a bitch to pull the valve cover.

The Ford/Cosworth DFV DOHC V8, the powerplant first used in the '67 Lotus 49 and many other racing machines to follow over the next 16 years. As applied in the Lotus, it was the first engine to be used as a stressed member of the car's chassis, with the forward portion of the block being bolted directly to the monocoque just behind the cockpit and the rear suspension being bolted to the rear of the engine block and gearbox. This saved 200-300 pounds in weight, making the overall effect of the engine even more remarkable. And it sounds wicked cool (see video posted above and sound clips in wiki page). :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosworth_DFV

The engine and its variants were used in a number of racing series, with its origins in F1. It was by far the dominant engine in F1 during its life, bringing many driver's and constructor's championships to the teams who ran it. Lotus had exclusive use in 1967 but due to the engines success that season it was offered to other teams the following year.

F1 Constructor's Champions:

dfv_f1_champs.png

F1 Driver's Champions:

dfv_f1_driver_champs.png

Last edited:
The Ford/Cosworth DFV DOHC V8, the powerplant first used in the '67 Lotus 49 and many other racing machines to follow over the next 16 years. As applied in the Lotus, it was the first engine to be used as a stressed member of the car's chassis, with the forward portion of the block being bolted directly to the monocoque just behind the cockpit and the rear suspension being bolted to the rear of the engine block and gearbox.

Maybe it's just me but I think there has to be some connection to tractors that inspired that.

Maybe it's just me but I think there has to be some connection to tractors that inspired that.

I meant and should've said "the first engine in Formula 1/Grand Prix racing to be used as a stressed member of the car's chassis", not vehicles in general.

I suppose it's possible, stranger connections have occurred. While there's commonality in the existence of an engine in both, farm implements likely wouldn't be a port of call when looking to leverage competitive advantages and loopholes in a racing formula. That said, the idea was actually implemented in a production car, motorcycles as well as tractors long before it arrived in GP racing and the Lotus 49.

Reactions: Wildman and Squatch