Carbide Saw Blades

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Is it worth getting a carbide circular saw blade resharpened, or just buy a new one?

Last edited:
The difficult part would be finding someone that could sharpen one correctly for less then the cost of a replacement blade . Good luck in your search .

Very true. I run three fab shops cutting aluminum. Part of my job is ordering cutting tools including saw blades. We just buy new blades for anything but our three largest saws as about half the blades I send out to be sharpened come back not useable. You can get a new DIABLO 60 tooth off Amazon for $20

Reactions: Zorba and ColoJeep
Back in the day I did it all the time. Nowadays a new carbide blade is cheaper than the labor to have it sharpened if you can find someone who does it. We used to use beeswax on the blade when we cut aluminum.

Reactions: ColoJeep and GPK03X
Is it worth getting a carbide circular saw blade resharpened, or just buy a new one?

Depends on the blade. You can buy the very good Diablo stuff cheaper than anyone will resharpen one correctly so it is useable. If you do find someone, the likelihood of them doing is cost effectively and in a timely manner is very low. The main problem is no one sends in a blade when it first gets dull, so they have to remove way too much material to get the corners back to sharp. That screws up the tooth geometry so they never cut as well.

Depends on the blade. You can buy the very good Diablo stuff cheaper than anyone will resharpen one correctly so it is useable. If you do find someone, the likelihood of them doing is cost effectively and in a timely manner is very low. The main problem is no one sends in a blade when it first gets dull, so they have to remove way too much material to get the corners back to sharp. That screws up the tooth geometry so they never cut as well.

Sounds like time to just get a new one. My Son-In-Law gave me a very nice De-Walt chop saw, but the blade is as dull as old owl poo-poo. I think its a Diablo that's on it.

Sounds like time to just get a new one. My Son-In-Law gave me a very nice De-Walt chop saw, but the blade is as dull as old owl poo-poo. I think its a Diablo that's on it.

It pains me greatly to throw away dull carbide blades. Back before the advent of quality blades at affordable prices, I sent in several of the Makita metal saw carbide blades to get sharpened because I couldn't stomach buying more 150 dollar each blades. The sharpening cost 130 bucks and they were about as good as a Makita when it starts to get dull. Thankfully, Diablo has very good metal cutting blades for 1/3rd the price, they last as long, the good cutting as in near new performance is actually longer than the Makita before it degrades a bit.

Reactions: ColoJeep and GPK03X
It pains me greatly to throw away dull carbide blades. Back before the advent of quality blades at affordable prices, I sent in several of the Makita metal saw carbide blades to get sharpened because I couldn't stomach buying more 150 dollar each blades. The sharpening cost 130 bucks and they were about as good as a Makita when it starts to get dull. Thankfully, Diablo has very good metal cutting blades for 1/3rd the price, they last as long, the good cutting as in near new performance is actually longer than the Makita before it degrades a bit.

Me too - I don't like throwing away anything that could be re-used. I'm a skinflint by nature anyway, and I don't like waste. I still may call around to see if I can find someone.

Me too - I don't like throwing away anything that could be re-used. I'm a skinflint by nature anyway, and I don't like waste. I still may call around to see if I can find someone.

I said it bothered, and it has all 100 times I've done it. I didn't say it stopped me from doing it and if you find someone who doesn't disappoint, that will be a small miracle.

Reactions: Zorba and GPK03X