Cars you shouldn't own (according to the internet)

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I thought this might make for a reasonably entering off-topic thread. This popped into my head the other day due to someone having asked if they should avoid 05-06 TJs due to the OPDA issue and the automatic transmission shift issues. It got me thinking that with nearly any car I've ever owned, there have always been the "chicken littles" (as I call them) on every automotive forum I've been a member of, who will tell you to avoid ____________ car, due to _________________ issue(s).

I hope that everyone who reads this knows that I am being very, very sarcastic with this post. Yes, people say you should avoid these vehicles, but I seriously roll my eyes at this mumbo jumbo bullshit. How many times do I have to say it? You only read about negative experiences online, not all of the positive ones.

I'm going to start this thread off with the vehicles I know of. Feel free to add to the list!

2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs
Why should you avoid this car?
According to the internet, 05-06 TJs are "ticking time bombs" due to the OPDA issue and potential automatic transmission hard shift issues.

2000-2006 BMW M3s
According to the internet, the rear subframe bushings will eventually rip through the frame.

2006-2013 Chevy Corvette Z06 (or any Chevy with an LS7 engine)
According to the internet, they have valve issues, and they will all drop valves eventually, leading to catastrophic failure.

Reactions: GTERDN and JMT
JEEP CHEROKEE XJ 1994-2001
According to the internet, this unibody 4x4 is known to break in two and launch the rear liftgate up to a 1/4 mile when it attempts to ascend an obstacle such as a curb.

2010 Chevy Traverse
According to the internet and at least one owner (Hook). At approximately 100K miles, the timing chains on the dual OHC engine will stretch causing CEL and code P0008. Repairs will cost approx. $2800 as this fix requires engine removal (lifting vehicle off engine). Directly after this repair (approx. 3 weeks) you will more than likely experience a catastrophic engine failure. Repair cost upwards of $6000. Not to mention all the little things that fail at around 100K mi. - locked up brake calipers, blown shock, failed front strut, cracked A/C hard line...
Whatever you do, never, ever ever ever ever, buy one of these vehicles!!!
Unfortunately, this is not sarcasm!

JEEP CHEROKEE XJ 1994-2001
According to the internet, this unibody 4x4 is known to break in two and launch the rear liftgate up to a 1/4 mile when it attempts to ascend an obstacle such as a curb.
There has to be a video of this,,, please tell me there is a video of this???

edit: shit, i forgot this is sarcasm! damn it, now I wanna go to youtube and watch morons destroy stuff.

2007-2013 R56 Mini Cooper (all models)
  • The timing chain tensioner fails prematurely, allowing the timing chain to rip its guides apart and throw plastic and metal all inside the motor. $1200 if you're lucky and don't need a new motor, $4000 if you do.
  • For manual transmission models, the throwout bearing is plastic and will separate if you think about it wrong.
  • The high pressure fuel pump will form very tiny cracks after enough hot/cold cycles, resulting in it not pressurizing enough for the car to start.
  • The valve cover warps and allows an already oil-hungry motor to throw up the rest of said oil.
  • Direct injection means you will have to have the intake valves walnut blasted every 2 years or else it'll run like someone with asthma participating in an decathlon.

Reactions: Chris
2002-4 Ford Expoder, Expirer, Explorer.
According to the internet, it is single handedly the biggest POS you can buy. Not only is it too dangerous to drive for you and the general public, it can spontaneous combust all on its own, without anybody in it or even watching.

Reactions: Edward Turner
2007-2013 R56 Mini Cooper (all models)
  • The timing chain tensioner fails prematurely, allowing the timing chain to rip its guides apart and throw plastic and metal all inside the motor. $1200 if you're lucky and don't need a new motor, $4000 if you do.
  • For manual transmission models, the throwout bearing is plastic and will separate if you think about it wrong.
  • The high pressure fuel pump will form very tiny cracks after enough hot/cold cycles, resulting in it not pressurizing enough for the car to start.
  • The valve cover warps and allows an already oil-hungry motor to throw up the rest of said oil.
  • Direct injection means you will have to have the intake valves walnut blasted every 2 years or else it'll run like someone with asthma participating in an decathlon.

Don't forget the oil filter housing seal leaking oil onto the hot exhaust header.

Also the thermostat housing (AKA jarvic artificial heart) develops a leak every 20 to 40k miles, and boy is it a bitch to get to.

Wait, this was sarcasm? Disregard my prior statements.

Reactions: Chris
Years and years ago I worked at a shop selling automotive electronics. We used to laugh when someone walked in with a consumer guide magazine demanding a particular brand and model cassette deck and speakers. Those consumer guides always rated the worst unreliable junk with top scores. We learned early on not to argue with these educated yuppie nerds. Give them the crap they demanded, get rid of the distributor's inventory and let the cards fall where they may. People who asked for our advice got good advice.

I've bought two cars that I later found out were on some internet worst car list. I sold the first one after 230,000 trouble free miles because I got tired of driving it and wanted something newer. The second was going strong with 120,000+ miles when it got totaled by a flash flood, while parked in a motel parking lot.

I often wonder how many cars get a bad rap because of poor maintenance compared to poor design.

2002-4 Ford Expoder, Expirer, Explorer.
According to the internet, it is single handedly the biggest POS you can buy. Not only is it too dangerous to drive for you and the general public, it can spontaneous combust all on its own, without anybody in it or even watching.
Every day that I drove by my neighbor's house and saw the burned out hulk in what was left of his carport I thought about how thankful they must’ve been that it wasn’t an attached, enclosed garage. Sometime after he got home from work it burst into flame all on its own.

Every day that I drove by my neighbor's house and saw the burned out hulk in what was left of his carport I thought about how thankful they must’ve been that it wasn’t an attached, enclosed garage. Sometime after he got home from work it burst into flame all on its own.
Had a neighbor three houses down from me had one go up while parked in front of his garage three and a half hours after he got home from work. Something about wires getting hot and causing the fuel system to kick on, and it will pump until the tank runs dry or it explodes.

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch
All Years -Mazda RX-7
A rotary engine opposed to pistons violently slamming up and down? That will never work.

All Jeep Wranglers with a Dana 35 Differential

The differential is a time bomb, it's weak, paper-thin, it will shatter like the brittle bones of an old bird and leave you stranded in the woods.