Catalytic Converter Monitor Incomplete

Low and behold, bang! As soon as the super chip was removed, Jeep was taken out for a spin and the cat monitor ran and passed. This entire time the chip was not relaying the rpm’s to the ecu which wasn’t allowing the monitor to run. I have a middle of the road scan tool and the shop I was working with had a snapon scan tool and both of us could clearly see the rpms being displayed on our scanners but the dealership has something called a BRP scanner which is specific for Jeep models from 97-06 and that scanner was showing no input to the ecu for rpm’s. It’s crazy to think some stupid performance chip would be the answer to all my problems lol. In other words I will never use one again!
I also am having same issue with cat not being ready. I’m new to Jeeps and have no mechanical experience. Where is this chip? Do you mind sending a pic? Thanks

I also am having same issue with cat not being ready. I’m new to Jeeps and have no mechanical experience. Where is this chip? Do you mind sending a pic? Thanks
The “chip” was a performance chip that I had installed a while ago. It’s not something that comes with the Jeep, it’s an add on. If you were to have one, it would be on the passengers side firewall behind the battery tray plugged into your ecu (computer).

The “chip” was a performance chip that I had installed a while ago. It’s not something that comes with the Jeep, it’s an add on. If you were to have one, it would be on the passengers side firewall behind the battery tray plugged into your ecu (computer).
got it. thanks for clarification

Thanks for this writeup. I also have the cat monitor not ready. Im an original owner of a 2000 TJ 2.5, which has takeoff wheels/tires from a 2018 JK Rubicon and a 2”leveling kit, and an old aftermarket radio/alarm. The fan switch keeps going out too (5th time I think), and has melted a few times, ugh. Everything else is stock.

In 2019, I paid a local shop a lot to run the drive cycle and get the catalyst monitor complete. It worked after they changed the O2 sensors and ran it on a dyno. (They couldn’t get the monitor to complete by driving it around though.)

Since 2019, i must have lost battery power, as I didn’t drive it much through 2020, pandemic and all.

It’s summer 2021 now, and I drove it around and have gotten all other monitors complete, having driven almost 300 more miles. The drive cycle indicated for catalyst monitor to complete, it needs to be driven 5-10 mins at 1300-1900 rpm from 25-40mph (after being warmed up and in a closed loop). I’m wondering if there’s a long flat road in Sacramento area that is good for doing this drive cycle, as I keep running into hills or stoplights here. I can only drive about 2 to 3 minutes at a steady 35mph at 1750rpm, then I get interrupted with a stoplight. This crazy drive cycle was done on a frontage road early in the morning in Danville, California.

Or maybe I need to pay to put it back on a dyno?

Or maybe I need to pay to put it back on a dyno?
I once had to replace my battery before getting a SMOG check. I set all of the monitors by putting the rear axle on Jack stands and completing the drive cycle in my driveway.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
I've driven it around the last few weekends and can't get the cat monitor ready. I've got the o2 monitors ready though. Last thing is the cat monitor to be ready...
I guess I may need to put it on jack stands if I cant get a roadway without lights, bends, speed changes, other cars, etc. to run the 30-45 mph for 5-10 mins at no greater than 1900 rpms. Safety is a concern for this method though.

I've driven it around the last few weekends and can't get the cat monitor ready. I've got the o2 monitors ready though. Last thing is the cat monitor to be ready...
I guess I may need to put it on jack stands if I cant get a roadway without lights, bends, speed changes, other cars, etc. to run the 30-45 mph for 5-10 mins at no greater than 1900 rpms. Safety is a concern for this method though.I've driven it around the last few weekends and can't get the cat monitor ready. I've got the o2 monitors ready though. Last thing is the cat monitor to be ready...
I guess I may need to put it on jack stands if I cant get a roadway without lights, bends, speed changes, other cars, etc. to run the 30-45 mph for 5-10 mins at no greater than 1900 rpms. Safety is a concern for this method though.

Hoping you’ll see this as I am now having the same issue,how did you resolve yours?
I have done the jackstand drive cycle, my failed smog was in December and I’ve been driving it sporadically since then…freeway, back roads…fast…slow….nothing. I don’t have any CEL on…thanks in advance m.

Do you guys know about the TSB to get the 02 sensors off the ASD relay?

California does.

Sorry TSB? ASD?

There is a trouble shooting bulletin for some models- the O2 sensors were wired through the auto shut down relay and it kills power to them before they heat up- It is a security feature that is designed to do that for some components in those sensors never did need to be on its’ circuit-

The bulletin shows the fix.