Catalytic converter replacement suggestions?

You say header and not manifold, so perhaps you have an aftermarket header? If the existing system is still in good shape (including header), then I see why you would want to try to save some of it. If you try to weld a new cat into the existing system, I would try to position the O2 sensors as close to possible in their original configuration.

That said, it would suck to do all that and still have a CEL. I can't see your system you have now, but It might still be better to consider going back to stock. Is the current mid-pipe actually welded onto the manifold (header)? If not, and that join is still stock, then you could easily replace the whole exhaust (minus the manifold) with a kit like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6MLZUI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
(JEGS on Amazon has it for $349 shipped)

If yes (the mid-pipe has been welded to the manifold), it still might be your best bet to fix that now and go back to stock.

Just my 0.02, hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! Sometimes it helps to just bounce ideas off someone and get some good feedback! :)

I think I’m going to give this one a shot and just weld it in. It already has a bung built in for the rear o2. I do have a aftermarket exhaust...it’s a header then at the end of the header it does have the flange for the midpipe but from that flange all the way to the back everything is welded together. There is a pipe about 3’ long that’s been welded in where the cat used to be. I’m just going to cut a section out of that new pipe and weld this Flowmaster in. I think it’ll take care of what I need for $140. It can be found online for a few dollars cheaper but these guys support Jeeps pretty well so I’ll just give them an extra $15....but just saying that to let anyone ever wanting this that this is not the best price.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/flowmaster-catalytic-convert-tj-2040002.html

I was throwing P0431 codes in my 2006 4.0. I crossed my fingers and replaced all four O2 sensors and disconnected the battery to clear the code. That lasted about 30min of run time before the code reassert. I just ordered the Eastern Catalytic kit mentioned earlier in this thread. My thanks to all the previous posters. I’ll try to report back later with a thumbs up or down on the install.

I was throwing P0431 codes in my 2006 4.0. I crossed my fingers and replaced all four O2 sensors and disconnected the battery to clear the code. That lasted about 30min of run time before the code reassert. I just ordered the Eastern Catalytic kit mentioned earlier in this thread. My thanks to all the previous posters. I’ll try to report back later with a thumbs up or down on the install.
I had this problem earlier this year. Replaced O2 sensors and code came back within 50 miles. Had new cats installed and 5k miles later no CEL's. Be grateful that you don't have to pay double for CARB approved parts.

What is the difference quality wise between mandrel and compression bent tubing ? Is there anything wrong with the Flow Master brand ? Flow master on Amazon is only 233.00 for all 3 cats. Picture on the amazon link shows mandrel bent, but reviews are compression bent. Flow Master Website notes they are compression bent.

Flow Master Cats

FLow Master Official Web Site

What is the difference quality wise between mandrel and compression bent tubing ? Is there anything wrong with the Flow Master brand ? Flow master on Amazon is only 233.00 for all 3 cats. Picture on the amazon link shows mandrel bent, but reviews are compression bent. Flow Master Website notes they are compression bent.

Flow Master Cats

FLow Master Official Web Site
I have thier 3 cat midpipe on my 2005 for about 2 years now. It is great, I would recommend it. Not sure how they bent the tubing, but it turned out great. I have some pics I can post later. I posted a pic after someone commented about the pics they saw online, saying it was crap since it wasn’t mandrel etc. They agreed it looked good after I showed them some pics.

Reactions: Leroy_TJ
I have thier 3 cat midpipe on my 2005 for about 2 years now. It is great, I would recommend it. Not sure how they bent the tubing, but it turned out great. I have some pics I can post later. I posted a pic after someone commented about the pics they saw online, saying it was crap since it wasn’t mandrel etc. They agreed it looked good after I showed them some pics.
Thanks , Pics would be great

Thanks , Pics would be great
Here are some pics I could find. Still looks almost the same after two years. Great value for less than $250, I'd say as good as OEM quality. They say it is covered by a 25,000 mile emissions warranty and a 50,000 mile/5 year stainless steel exterior casing warranty. The emissions warranty of 25k will be about 8 years for me with the way I drive my TJ!

Screenshot_20200224_232536.png

Screenshot_20200224_232242.png

Screenshot_20200224_232136.png

Screenshot_20200224_232008.png

Reactions: Leroy_TJ
Thanks for the pics. I got the flow master cats in today , unfortunately I have to send them back. The box was trashed and the pipes were hanging out of it. One of the cats had a notch from the damage on the flange piece , if wasn't for that I would keep them. I got them from Amazon so the return should be smooth.
The pipes are not bent like yours , they have the ripples in the bends. I dont know if that matters or not tbh.
20200225_161432.jpg
20200225_161400.jpg
20200225_161343.jpg
20200225_161432.jpg
20200225_161400.jpg
20200225_161343.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
Damn, someone didn't package those correctly!

At least Amazon is super easy for returns.

For anyone who used the walker replacements, did anyone have issues with the metal transmission fluid line resting against the new cats? I did not pay attention to how close the line was to the OEM ones before I remove them but the new one seems to be resting against the new exhaust no matter how I position it.