Catalytic converter scrap dealers

MrMark52

TJ Enthusiast
Earlier today (or was it yesterday) I posted a question about replacing the complete exhaust system, including the cats, in my ‘03 Wrangler.

i Know there is value in the old cats due to the rare metals used in them - so my question is, anyone whose replaced their cats found a good “buyer” or recommendation for selling, rather than just throwing the old cats in the trash?

From the few listings I’ve stumbled across, it’s looking like I might could get anywhere from $60 to $120 for the old cats.

I replaced mine recently. I got $25 for the pre cats and $65 for the larger cat. Call around, the big scrap yard in town was paying $12 each. I found a guy that specializes in non ferrous metals.

Thanks guys!

Maybe a recycler index for various recyclable components needs to be created showing what is recycled and location city.
Like, I also have an OEM master cylinder that is probably rebuildable, I just didn’t want to rebuild it at the time I redid my brakes, and the new one I bought didn’t (I think it was a Bosch) didn’t come with a core buy back.

FWIW - I just went out to look see if I could determine the serial number on the pre-cats. I had forgotten they were about as crusty/rusty as the exhaust pipes. My suspicion is once upon a time they may have overheated - I’ve not seen cats get rusty like that.
Didn’t look at the downstream cat.
Hope that doesn’t impact their scrap value. ☹️

Last edited:
Update - I got a quote for the 3 cats from a recycler in CA after sending him pictures - $193 and they provide a UPS shipping label.

Considering there is a hidden charge for shipping in that Offer, I’m headed to a couple of local recyclers to see what they can give.

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
I had no luck recycling busted cats, everyone wanted intact cats.

Thanks! Fortunately these cats are in good shape with no rattles. But your comment is well received - as per my posting, I‘ve not found any discussion on recycling cats or their value.

FWIW - O2 sensors fall in this category as well although it’s looking like you need tons of them to make worthwhile. I’m including mine in the pictures I send recyclers so they can see and comment on any value there either.

Follow up to selling old cats for scrap or recycle -

I contacted a few cat recyclers and ended up selling the OEM take off cats from Oreo for $227.00. Company paid for shipping too by sending a UPS label.
I had also gotten quotes of $350.00 but the Offer and verification that i would really get that amount after verifying the numbers on the cats came after I had already shipped mine.

So, in the event someone is changing out their OEM cats - don’t trash them, they’re worth something. 😀 YMMV

Follow up to selling old cats for scrap or recycle -

I contacted a few cat recyclers and ended up selling the OEM take off cats from Oreo for $227.00. Company paid for shipping too by sending a UPS label.
I had also gotten quotes of $350.00 but the Offer and verification that i would really get that amount after verifying the numbers on the cats came after I had already shipped mine.

So, in the event someone is changing out their OEM cats - don’t trash them, they’re worth something. 😀 YMMV
Thank you. I was just asking about this and having little luck finding out anything. Would you mind sharing what company you used?

I'm pretty sure it was RRCats in Rockaway, New Jersey.

Shop around though, to include Facebook Marketplace - I think you can get more as I noted above.

I deleted my Ram 2500, (diesel) took cat. to scrap yd. and left with $300. Had a friend delete his chevy 2500 (diesel) picked up his and made another $300. Delete to most means your no longer welcome in Calf., Oregon, Wash, states, (That I thought was a positive) and you are left with a engine 10% more efficient (the true environment hero) and 15% more power. Win, Win, Win. When the West coast gains control of common sense in their govt. they can experience great American engineering. May God Bless, DL

I deleted my Ram 2500, (diesel) took cat. to scrap yd. and left with $300. Had a friend delete his chevy 2500 (diesel) picked up his and made another $300. Delete to most means your no longer welcome in Calf., Oregon, Wash, states, (That I thought was a positive) and you are left with a engine 10% more efficient (the true environment hero) and 15% more power. Win, Win, Win. When the West coast gains control of common sense in their govt. they can experience great American engineering. May God Bless, DL

The births of my children were the two best days of my life; the third was when Washington stopped doing smog testing. (y)

The births of my children were the two best days of my life; the third was when Washington stopped doing smog testing. (y)
Me too..I have a very honest dmv lady I know and she said the only reason Washington stopped testing? You got it, they were no longer making money.. big surprise huh? I thought it was saving the environment this whole time lol

Reactions: lBasket
Well you should Know, But Goggle says something about nonexempt diesel and gas vehicles having to renew emissions ck. every 2 yrs. Also said/read that ya'll just ended them in 2020(Jan.) I am not surprised that the internet can not figure out what liberals have done in Wash. May be they write their own truth. easier to be right and correct anybody that speaks. (or silence them). May God Bless;DL

Not that I care at all, BUT please be aware It is illegal to remove an emission control device on any street driven vehicle.
(Federal emissions laws). Not that you will get caught, but it's kind of like the guy bragging up the fact he converted his AK to full auto
on the inter webs.
The more you know :censored:

Well you should Know, But Goggle says something about nonexempt diesel and gas vehicles having to renew emissions ck. every 2 yrs. Also said/read that ya'll just ended them in 2020(Jan.) I am not surprised that the internet can not figure out what liberals have done in Wash. May be they write their own truth. easier to be right and correct anybody that speaks. (or silence them). May God Bless;DL
You stick that stupid liberal garbage up your tailpipe and work it some. I'm from WA but I'm no liberal