CB Radio Questions

taylormade73

Wob Free
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Let me preface this by saying I know very little about CB radios, other than playing around on my dad's when I was younger. With that said, I helped a friend move and he gave me this CB radio. Anyone familiar with this brand? Any feedback on quality, functionality, etc? Is it worth installing or should I just buy a different one? Thanks in advance.

20191121_105113.jpg

Well, you can't beat free, so there's that. Heck, it might almost be worth it just for the USB charging port. I have no personal experience with this radio/brand, the ratings on Amazon are all over the map, although most of the complaints are about the blue lighting. The ones who like it really like it and the ones who hate it really hate it. Throw it in there and see how it works for you. Even if you end up pulling it out and replacing it, the wiring would already be done.

Reactions: taylormade73
Try the radio since you already have it.

Need a way to mount the antenna? Here is how I did mine. You can get the mount from Right Channel CB Radio. They also sell a plug for the power if you don't want to run the power to the battery.

1574439718619-69222797.jpg

That unit sells for over $150 on Amazon, and it's got built-in SWR meter so you can tune it correctly. It is a bigger unit than those hide-away models like Cobra - but heck it's FREE! Get the antenna mount mentioned by Tscott and a good Firestick tuneable antenna and you're good to go!

Curious, always wondered this, I too played with a CB years ago as a kid it was fun. Now with all the modern stuff,
I - phone, GPS / NAVI, Text, call, no roam, ways, & million apps to add, what would be the need for a CB in your jeep or anywhere for that matter ??

Try the radio since you already have it.

Need a way to mount the antenna? Here is how I did mine. You can get the mount from Right Channel CB Radio. They also sell a plug for the power if you don't want to run the power to the battery.

View attachment 126058
I would skip the spring, it's not really needed with a short antenna, it just causes it to whip around

cb2_zps9a756937.JPG

Reactions: taylormade73
Curious, always wondered this, I too played with a CB years ago as a kid it was fun. Now with all the modern stuff,
I - phone, GPS / NAVI, Text, call, no roam, ways, & million apps to add, what would be the need for a CB in your jeep or anywhere for that matter ??
Nice to have when off roading with a group and when you don't have cell service