Choosing a CB Radio

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So here are some things to ponder regarding choosing a CB radio.

The most important factor to understand when choosing a radio is that all CBs, regardless of their price, are limited to 4 watts of transmission power by the FCC. This means that a $50 bare-bones CB radio and a $200 chrome plated CB radio with every feature imaginable will have exactly the same transmission power. While a radio can be “peaked and tuned”, a process that increase a CB’s performance, all CB radios will have the same transmission power out of the box. There are a number of CB radio manufacturers, some of the more popular ones being Cobra, Uniden, Galaxy, and Midland.

What primarily differentiates CB radios from each other is their features, not their output strength. CB radios come with a number of features, the most popular of which we’ve outlined below:

• Squelch Control - This control sets the break-point at which a CB radio outputs a signal. In effect, it keeps the operator from constantly having to listen to static and only activates the speaker when a transmission is received. This is a standard feature and is included with nearly every CB radio sold.

• RF Gain - Allows the operator to filter the type of transmission a CB radio receives based on signal strength. It’s useful to block out faint transmissions to eliminate background noise when talking with someone with a strong signal. This feature can also be used to pull-in and better hear weak signals.

• PA Capability - Allows use of the CB radio and microphone as a transmitter for a public address system. This requires a PA horn (usually not included) that can be mounted under the hood or on top of the vehicle.

• Automatic Noise Limited (ANL) - Filters out static, engine noise and other interference from the reception signal to improve reception sound quality.

• Weather Capabilities - CB radios with this feature have the ability to access local NOAA radio stations for real-time weather reports and updates.

• Instant Channel 9 & 19 - The ability to quickly jump to two of the most popular channels: Channel 9 (Emergency) and Channel 19 (Highway / Truckers).

• Nightwatch and/or Backlit Displays - A number of higher priced models include a backlit radio display for convenient operation at night. This is an invaluable feature if a radio will be used extensively at night or in dark conditions.
When choosing a CB radio and its corresponding features, it’s important to focus on how and where the CB will be used. Specific vehicle owners tend to want different features in a CB radio:
  • Jeep CB Radios: Off-road drivers usually have smaller vehicle cabs and tend to choose compact CB radios due to space constraints. The Uniden 510XL and Cobra 75 WX ST are both popular choice with off-road drivers due to their compact size.

• RV CB Radios : RV owners traditionally have ample cab space that can accommodate large CB radios. Popular features with RV owners include weather channel capabilities as well as front-mounted speakers for convenient in-dash installation. The Cobra 18 WX ST II is popular with RV owners.

• Trucking CB Radios : Professional drivers tend to want full-featured CB radio as they are a crucial communication tool on the road. As such, a good after-market radio “peak and tune” to boost performance is often important. The Cobra 29 LTD is one of the most popular CB radios among professional drivers.
There are a wide range of features available for CB radios and only the individual can best determine which feature set best suits their needs. As all CB radios are limited to 4 watts of output, the biggest factor determining radio performance is the antenna. A cheap radio and correctly installed quality CB antenna will perform infinitely better than an expensive radio and a poor antenna setup. Before selecting a CB antenna, we recommend reading our article which discusses Choosing the Best CB Antenna for your needs.

Reactions: '99WranglerSport
Stock is 5 watts cobra Ltd 29 is a great radio to start with.

No, the FCC maximum transmission power for the CB band is 4 watts. The power output for the Cobra LTD 29 is 4 watts.

See the Owners Manual for the Cobra 29 LTD @ page 33.

https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/files/manuals/29LTDCLA.pdf

While on the subject of CB radios in Jeeps, I have obtained good results from the Cobra 75 WX ST and the Uniden Pro520XL (among others). I have the Uniden in my jeep and the Cobra in my tow rig. Both have been "peaked and tuned" to get full legal power and optimum modulation. The Cobra was already almost spot on, but the Uniden produced slightly less than 4 watts out of the box. One CB "guru" I know explained it this way, which sounds logical even if it is not based on actual first hand knowledge: "The manufacturers want to make sure that any radio that an FCC compliance inspector might pull from a pallet puts out no more than 4 watts lest the entire pallet be impounded. Therefore, due to manufacturing tolerances some radios in a shipment might put out 4 watts and some might put out less, but the manufacturers make sure that none put out more." His position was that every CB radio should be peaked and tuned to ensure that it performing as rated.

No, the FCC maximum transmission power for the CB band is 4 watts. The power output for the Cobra LTD 29 is 4 watts.

See the Owners Manual for the Cobra 29 LTD @ page 33.

https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/files/manuals/29LTDCLA.pdf

While on the subject of CB radios in Jeeps, I have obtained good results from the Cobra 75 WX ST and the Uniden Pro520XL (among others). I have the Uniden in my jeep and the Cobra in my tow rig. Both have been "peaked and tuned" to get full legal power and optimum modulation. The Cobra was already almost spot on, but the Uniden produced slightly less than 4 watts out of the box. One CB "guru" I know explained it this way, which sounds logical even if it is not based on actual first hand knowledge: "The manufacturers want to make sure that any radio that an FCC compliance inspector might pull from a pallet puts out no more than 4 watts lest the entire pallet be impounded. Therefore, due to manufacturing tolerances some radios in a shipment might put out 4 watts and some might put out less, but the manufacturers make sure that none put out more." His position was that every CB radio should be peaked and tuned to ensure that it performing as rated.
A slight power deviation from the transmitter is not going to be noticeable or significant at the receiving end. For a noticeable difference in the signal strength heard by the receiver, it requires a 3 dB (doubling) of transmitted power. "Slightly less than 4 watts" would not make a significant/noticeable difference at the receiving end when compared to one putting out precisely 4 watts since that would not give a 3 dB difference in transmitter power. 3 dB is the minimum power difference detectable by human ears. Been doing transmitters & receivers (ham, commercial, & military) since the sixties, that very slight amount of power difference just doesn't make a significant/usable difference.

For me it was all about not cluttering my dash so I opted for the Cobra 75 WX ST which has serve me well over the years even with the occasional water submersion lol.

One of the problems is where to mount the radio so it won't be in the way.
I attached a 1X8 above my roll cage (with straps to the cage), wrapped it with carpet
to match the interior and mounted the CB & a 2 meter radio under it.
This keeps both radios clean & out of the way in my crowded cab.
Also I agree with the comment above---buy any CB, but buy the best antennae you can
and mount it correctly.

I use the Arizona Rocky Road radio mount in my LJ - Kenwood 2m ham above and Uniden Pro520XL CB below. I have Teraflex tail light antenna mount brackets (not the best location for the propagation of radio waves, but the best compromise location all factors considered), and Breedlove CB and ham antenna mounts with one of Jerry Breedlove's all-brass mini quick disconnects for the CB antenna. I experimented with various antennas and settled on the Firestik 2' for around town use because it clears the header for my garage door. I chose the 4' Firestik Firefly for trail use. The 2' antenna is "good enough" for most situations but the difference in range between the two lengths is noticeable. If I had to choose one or the other I would lean toward the 2' antenna even though it doesn't work as well because it doesn't present clearance issues. Fortunately I can easily switch between the 2' and 4' antennas and don't have to pick just one.

As for whether or not it really matters if one "peaks and tunes" a new CB radio, my thought is that it probably doesn't matter much just as Jerry Bransford suggests. However, in the case of my current Uniden Pro520XL we picked up 1/2 watt of transmitting power (a small 12.5% increase) but the modulation was quite poor out of the box and corrected by the tune which made it easier for me to be heard and understood. That is what made the effort worthwhile.

uTW3AqaiFiKYW1Psrttn_e5s950ZxEVqpHQkHK3GR9MiHCUXWRa0nEDv9yxuWqUxyDasbssSnTYxOlUXHM4=w863-h637-no.jpg

8348be1d0297203ce5e8af1d327e1135?AccessKeyId=12D6F663FB304EDE46B0&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html
breedlovemounts.com