CB Set-Up Help

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
A family member just gave me a nearly brand new portable CB set-up that includes the following:

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB
Firestik FS-3BK 3’ 650W Tunable antenna
Firestik K-11 Magnet Mount with 18’ of coax cable
Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring

I’m not afraid to admit that I have absolutely no idea how to set this up in the Wrangler, or if the magnet mount is the correct option, etc. It seems that almost every antenna that I see is mounted either off the rear taillight with a bracket or off of the tire carrier with a bracket. About the only thing that I know is that I need to tune it somehow with a SWR Meter. Can anyone offer some assistance?

image.jpeg

Gong to bump this up. Does anyone know about CBs that can walk me through what to do? This will only be used for trail rides, so long distance isn't necessary. If I have to use the firestick, is it okay to only install it when I go out on the trail? Will that impact the tuning?

Mag mounts work well but about I'd hate to have it sitting and swaying on the hood in my field of vision. The antenna is a good one but a conventional antenna mount for it located at the back of the Jeep is really a better way to go.

But before getting much deeper in this, how often do you expect to use a CB? Do you plan to start doing a lot of offroading with groups of people? The reason I ask is because for uses like that, a handheld CB is kind of a PITA and awkward to use/hold while offroading. A permanently mounted CB like a Uniden Pro-520XL or similar is one of the most popular choices for those who offroad a lot. CBs are used a LOT while offroading so it pays to make it handy and easy to use if you're going to start using a CB.

Tuning an antenna with an SWR meter is easy enough, the process just using the SWR meter to figure out what length to adjust the antenna to so it can put out the most power. If the antenna mount has been installed properly, it's an easy process. If the antenna mount has not been installed properly, the SWR meter will let you know by the fact you can't find a good length to adjust the antenna to.

Reactions: Stinger
Mag mounts work well but about I'd hate to have it sitting and swaying on the hood in my field of vision. The antenna is a good one but a conventional antenna mount for it located at the back of the Jeep is really a better way to go.

But before getting much deeper in this, how often do you expect to use a CB? Do you plan to start doing a lot of offroading with groups of people? The reason I ask is because for uses like that, a handheld CB is kind of a PITA and awkward to use/hold while offroading. A permanently mounted CB like a Uniden Pro-520XL or similar is one of the most popular choices for those who offroad a lot. CBs are used a LOT while offroading so it pays to make it handy and easy to use if you're going to start using a CB.

Tuning an antenna with an SWR meter is easy enough, the process just using the SWR meter to figure out what length to adjust the antenna to so it can put out the most power. If the antenna mount has been installed properly, it's an easy process. If the antenna mount has not been installed properly, the SWR meter will let you know by the fact you can't find a good length to adjust the antenna to.

If I can get out six times a year, I'm lucky. However, I also want to be able to use it in emergency evacuation situations. This Jeep has no windows and is driven all over town every weekend, which is why whatever option I go with needs to be removable.

My understanding is that the built in antenna may get me enough reception for trail use, but not much more than that. That doesn't help during emergencies, which is why I assume the Firestick was purchased. I'm not at all opposed to a permanent mount, as long as the antenna can be removed when not in use. I was already starting to look at a way of bolting up a mount to my carrier.

Regarding tuning the antenna, I was more curious to know if it had to be tuned each time it was installed or if it was a one time deal as long as it is mounted in the same spot.

I actually had a Uniden 510XL in my Amazon wish list when this Midland package was offered to me. I'm not married to any of this, since it was free. But, free is free so I wasn't going to say no if I could make it work! :)

Thanks for your input!

A quick answer before I run out... once tuned, the antenna can be removed & reinstalled without it needing to be retuned. There are quarter-turn antenna quick disconnects that make ir easy. A Uniden 510 would be a great choice. :)

So far I have done a lot of reading and lurking so I hope my first post will be helpful. :)

For background, I started with CB radios almost 25 years ago. Went on to get my ham license and have had that for over two decades (since 1993).
Just about any CB setup will work if you can see the other vehicle on the trail. Better antenna systems will get you more range up to a point. Once you go so far, better range comes with more powerful equipment and frequencies (like ham radio bands)

Think of an antenna system as three parts. The feedline (usually coax cable), The radiator (antenna looking part), and the counterpoise (also called a ground plane).
The feedline is pretty simple, typically standard RG58 or heavy duty RG8. RG58 is much more flexible so it works better if you are snaking it through small cracks to make it look pretty but RG8 can handle much more power. For most folks running legal power, RG58 works fine.​

The radiator is what most folks think of as the antenna since it's the part you see. Most are either fiberglass, metal, or plastic. Firestik antennas are wire wound fiberglass poles with heat shrink tubing sealing it up. They are everywhere since they are popular with truckers. They are stiff since they are fiberglass so they are more likely to get broken off on the trail. Adding the spring to the bottom can help with this. A lot of Firestik antennas have a screw in the top to help with antenna tuning. Metal is another popular material for radiators, They can be longer since the metal can support itself better but a tall antenna scrapes and bangs on EVERYTHING! Proper tuning of a metal antenna is simple (you cut some off!) but that scares a lot of folks from doing that. Some of the knock off Firestik clone antennas will use a plastic rod instead of fiberglass. They work pretty similarly.

The easiest way to describe the counterpoise is the other half of the radiator. Just like the old every action has an equal and opposite reaction line, an antenna radiator has to have something to work against. This is the counterpoise. When you mount an antenna, the perfect spot is in the middle of the vehicle at it's highest point. This would maximize the ground plane available for the radiator to work against. However, since most vehicles are longer than they are wide, the ground plane makes the antenna transmit a little better to the front and back than the sides. Mounting it on the back of a Jeep is sometimes the easiest and most out of the way place. Usually a tire rack mount will need a separate ground strap to help the antenna get enough counterpoise to work well.
The idea of a quick detach system sounds good in theory but to be honest, in this day and age, even a high end CB is basically worthless to most crooks. A mediocre stereo in your Jeep is probably a more enticing target.

I am sitting here just merrily typing along and noticed it looks like I'm writing a book! Sorry for being long winded. I can go on and on if you want but this should at least get us started. Let me know if I can help with any questions.

Hope this helps
Dave

Updating this thread. Life got in the way so everything has been sitting around until this week.

I had ordered the Teraflex antenna mount and the Firestick quick disconnect along with a new stud. Once I started fussing with the antenna mount I realized that I didn't really like the design at all (honestly for mostly aesthetic reasons and I just didn't want the antenna on the side of the Jeep) and I looked for another alternative. I previously ran across Arizona Rocky Road mounts, but their very tall design didn't make sense for my application. If I keep the bracket on all the time the original design would have it sticking out way over the gate and I didn't want the possibility of the dogs whacking their faces on it when the net is up, or interfering with loading bags in and out of the back.

IMG_9913.JPG

This is the dual mount, but you can see how tall they normally are.

IMG_3668.JPG

After looking at my pile of parts and trying to figure out the best way to move forward I decided to email Rick and see if he could change up his design to meet my needs. He was totally open to it, and I do believe that I have exactly what I want.

I'm going to use the Firestick Firering cable that I have with the ARR antenna mount and not use the quick disconnect. I'll experiment with TJ spring to decide if it's necessary. The ARR mount puts the antenna in the middle of the Jeep, which is great as it keeps the antenna out of the path of branches on the side of the trail.

I just test mounted it last night, but I think I've got this going in the right direction. I need to scrape out the paint around the mounting bolts and stud this weekend and then get it all mounted, but so far I'm happy.

IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3660.JPG

Reactions: derekmac