Chameleon Hardtail

DoOver

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking to build a moderately slack hard tail. Trying to assemble a build sheet. Anyone have experience with AXS shifters? Seem to be obnoxious expensive for what they are. Thinking of building it with XO shifters and upgrade when the price comes down. Can you talk me into spending my $?

AXS shifters are awesome, I can say that much. However, they aren't cheap, and parts aren't either. If you go through groupsets fast, I wouldn't spend the money. I will say that the way they shift is sublime.

AXS shifters are awesome, I can say that much. However, they aren't cheap, and parts aren't either. If you go through groupsets fast, I wouldn't spend the money. I will say that the way they shift is sublime.
Damn you! I assumed that would be your response. I am hard on bikes but, can you elaborate on ‘if you go through groupsets fast’? I don’t see anything that would wear different that a standard groupset. I go through chains, rings, and cassettes. I know if I buy this I will rip the derailleure off in the first month with a rock or a crash. That will poss me off!

Damn you! I assumed that would be your response. I am hard on bikes but, can you elaborate on ‘if you go through groupsets fast’? I don’t see anything that would wear different that a standard groupset. I go through chains, rings, and cassettes. I know if I buy this I will rip the derailleure off in the first month with a rock or a crash. That will poss me off!

The issue with the AXS groupsets is that the gears are made out of very soft, lightweight material to save on weight. While this works for a road bike, for a mountain bike I think it's a stupid idea, as you'll find that the gears strip pretty easily, especially if you shift while pedaling or beat on it kind of hard.

I think the best setup would be an AXS derailleur with a cassette that is made of steel and just generic. That SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS cassette is somewhere around $450, which is quite expensive if you are going through them pretty quick.

But other than that, the wireless shifting is awesome. I also have the Reverb AXS dropper which is also pretty cool as well.

The issue with the AXS groupsets is that the gears are made out of very soft, lightweight material to save on weight. While this works for a road bike, for a mountain bike I think it's a stupid idea, as you'll find that the gears strip pretty easily, especially if you shift while pedaling or beat on it kind of hard.

I think the best setup would be an AXS derailleur with a cassette that is made of steel and just generic. That SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS cassette is somewhere around $450, which is quite expensive if you are going through them pretty quick.

But other than that, the wireless shifting is awesome. I also have the Reverb AXS dropper which is also pretty cool as well.
Thanks for the clarification. That’s a had no for me. I snap teeth off all the time. I was thinking of going Shimano just for the chain. I break that stupid Sram master link. Just made that an easy decision. Thanks again.

Thanks for the clarification. That’s a had no for me. I snap teeth off all the time. I was thinking of going Shimano just for the chain. I break that stupid Sram master link. Just made that an easy decision. Thanks again.
No problem. If you’re already snapping teeth you’ll go through these things even faster. They need to beef up the cassette for sure.

Man I opened this all excited for a hardtail chopper build. *kicks rocks*

If it makes you feel any better the country bumpkin thought the same.... I was lookin for a Jap motor on a semi ridged frame. I stopped pedaling my ass around the country when I got LARGE...

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Flair
If it makes you feel any better the country bumpkin thought the same.... I was lookin for a Jap motor on a semi ridged frame. I stopped pedaling my ass around the country when I got LARGE...

Hey we build some bobbers together. My back might make it a 10 mile ride but I love them!

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
1608263124233.png

• Love
Reactions: Rick Flair
Sorry to disappoint. I live in So Cal. I ride in the mountains to AVOID people. Motorcycles would require more people interaction.
@Chris i finished my build list
Nox composite front 35 mm internal width so I can run 2.7 tire
WTB aluminum rear (both on DT340 hubs)
XO drive train
Magura MT7
Fox performance elite

Sorry to disappoint. I live in So Cal. I ride in the mountains to AVOID people. Motorcycles would require more people interaction.
@Chris i finished my build list
Nox composite front 35 mm internal width so I can run 2.7 tire
WTB aluminum rear (both on DT340 hubs)
XO drive train
Magura MT7
Fox performance elite

It's amazing how much money you can spend on mountain bikes. My bike was $6500 and now I've put another $4000 into mods alone :LOL:

It's amazing how much money you can spend on mountain bikes. My bike was $6500 and now I've put another $4000 into mods alone :LOL:
I know. I was trying to keep this one under $5k. It will be close. Our AXS conversation saves me $. Probably the first time I can say that about this forum! 😂
I think my bigger problem will be I enjoy some of the components that will require upgrades on my Pivot

I know. I was trying to keep this one under $5k. It will be close. Our AXS conversation saves me $. Probably the first time I can say that about this forum! 😂
I think my bigger problem will be I enjoy some of the components that will require upgrades on my Pivot

Yep, I just can't help myself. It's not that I need most of the mods I've done, I just want them, and as Blaine would say, I'm a "mod collector". So many of us are though, so maybe that's just a guy thing.

Post some photos of it when you're done (y)

I built a Niner hardtail last winter. The electric shifting stuff was REAL expensive then...it wasn't even an option. I built it up with GX and x1 stuff, also Magura brakes. Did 27.5+ with 40mm wheels (aluminum). I'll tell ya, for as much as I ride, I don't know that I need anything "better." Once you get to GX (Or XT in Shimano world) you're only saving weight. Functionally, they work about the same, MHO, anyway. I can shift uphill, as long as I'm not standing on the pedals. Its crisp and quick. 1x drivetrains made a huge difference there too.

When it comes to weight...You're building a slack hardtail. They are a riot...but they aren't XC machines. They are really made for sending it down hill and holding on for dear life, LOL. Save the coin, get a cheaper groupset and don't worry about batteries going dead...

Friend of mine sent me this...Made me chuckle...I was one of those nut jobs in the 90s with a full rigid bike!

IMG_20201218_095204.jpg

The interesting thing is, one of my riding buddies has a carbon Chameleon. It only weighs about a pound less than my steel Niner. his is coming in right around 28 and mine is about 29.

We went to Copper Harbor this year, it was a BLAST.

ROS on Tail of Dragon.jpg

ROS on top of Brockway.jpg

Reactions: DoOver
I built a Niner hardtail last winter. The electric shifting stuff was REAL expensive then...it wasn't even an option. I built it up with GX and x1 stuff, also Magura brakes. Did 27.5+ with 40mm wheels (aluminum). I'll tell ya, for as much as I ride, I don't know that I need anything "better." Once you get to GX (Or XT in Shimano world) you're only saving weight. Functionally, they work about the same, MHO, anyway. I can shift uphill, as long as I'm not standing on the pedals. Its crisp and quick. 1x drivetrains made a huge difference there too.

When it comes to weight...You're building a slack hardtail. They are a riot...but they aren't XC machines. They are really made for sending it down hill and holding on for dear life, LOL. Save the coin, get a cheaper groupset and don't worry about batteries going dead...

Friend of mine sent me this...Made me chuckle...I was one of those nut jobs in the 90s with a full rigid bike!

View attachment 211501

The interesting thing is, one of my riding buddies has a carbon Chameleon. It only weighs about a pound less than my steel Niner. his is coming in right around 28 and mine is about 29.

We went to Copper Harbor this year, it was a BLAST.

View attachment 211502
View attachment 211503
That’s a good looking bike and thanks for chiming in. I agree on the groupset. Honestly, I asked about the AXS groupset so I could hear someone else justify the expense. I like the idea of cleaning up the cables and cockpit but, I don’t like buying the first generation. The cost needs to come down before I jump in. Combine that with my need to break everything.

Excited to get back on a hard tail. The cartoon above hits a little too close to home. I sold a hard tail for a super squishy 27.5. HATED IT! Worst decision ever. I have a Mach 429 that I like a lot but, it’s overkill. I’m hoping this Santa Cruz will be the one.

Reactions: Mike_H and JMT
That’s a good looking bike and thanks for chiming in. I agree on the groupset. Honestly, I asked about the AXS groupset so I could hear someone else justify the expense. I like the idea of cleaning up the cables and cockpit but, I don’t like buying the first generation. The cost needs to come down before I jump in. Combine that with my need to break everything.

Excited to get back on a hard tail. The cartoon above hits a little too close to home. I sold a hard tail for a super squishy 27.5. HATED IT! Worst decision ever. I have a Mach 429 that I like a lot but, it’s overkill. I’m hoping this Santa Cruz will be the one.
I know you are building your own, but you might take a peek at the new Canyon slack hardtail with 140mm travel.

I know you are building your own, but you might take a peek at the new Canyon slack hardtail with 140mm travel.
They seem to be going too slack for my taste. The thing I hated most about my Mach 6 was the seat tube angle. Felt like I was riding a recumbent bike! I went with the Chameleon because the seat tube angle is similar to my current bike.

Reactions: JMT
They seem to be going too slack for my taste. The thing I hated most about my Mach 6 was the seat tube angle. Felt like I was riding a recumbent bike! I went with the Chameleon because the seat tube angle is similar to my current bike.
Yeah, they are looking very slack, I believe 65*. The Chameleon is a great bike. We've drooled over it many times.

I ride an Intense Sniper Trail which is 120mm/120mm with 66.5* head angle. It's a nice cross for the variety of terrain we see here, everything from XC to Trail and some Downhill. There are times I could use a lot more travel, but most of the time it's just right.

Yeah, they are looking very slack, I believe 65*. The Chameleon is a great bike. We've drooled over it many times.

I ride an Intense Sniper Trail which is 120mm/120mm with 66.5* head angle. It's a nice cross for the variety of terrain we see here, everything from XC to Trail and some Downhill. There are times I could use a lot more travel, but most of the time it's just right.
Had to look that up. It’s a nice bike.