Changed Plugs, Opinion on condition

freebo86

TJ Enthusiast
Today I decided to change the plugs on my 05 LJ. Even though the originals only had 34k kilometres on them, I figured being 16 years old I didnt want them seizing in the block.

These looks bad to me considering only 34k kilometres, all plugs were bone dry, no wetness so that's good. Installed NGK ZFR5N OEM replacements. Also the gap on the originals was way more than .035 as per service manual, new ones came pre-gapped at .032 so I left them at that. Service manual lists range of .030-.035.

Thoughts on these plugs? Any concerns anyone sees? Cylinder 5 insulator looks whiter than the rest.
Jeep spends a lot of time in garage, hence the low mileage. Really just driven on sunny days and a weekend cruiser.

AFF91F1B-053D-46EA-B415-D35E163B123A.jpeg

Cylinder 1,2,3,4,5,6
8417E955-1F4C-4418-A0EF-1B965E9E93DB.jpeg

Reactions: Irun
I don't worry about the insulator, unless it's covered in oil. If the firing ends look consistent, which these do, you're good to go. That said, the firing end of #5 looks cleaner than the others, but not enough that I'd worry. Unless of course you're noticing poor performance, or getting misfire codes.

Reactions: freebo86
They look fine, other than wearing quickly. I prefer my Autolite XP-985 plugs made in Mexico, to the NGK Chinese plugs. They'll last longer than my Jeep. :)

Reactions: freebo86
I don't worry about the insulator, unless it's covered in oil. If the firing ends look consistent, which these do, you're good to go. That said, the firing end of #5 looks cleaner than the others, but not enough that I'd worry. Unless of course you're noticing poor performance, or getting misfire codes.

No, performance is on par. No codes of any kind. Jeep feels strong and runs good. Except gas mileage sucks!

They look fine, other than wearing quickly. I prefer my Autolite XP-985 plugs made in Mexico, to the NGK Chinese plugs. They'll last longer than my Jeep. :)

What’s the lifespan supposed to be on these NGK?