Changing from 2WD to 4H

Golf shoes, it's all about the golf shoes.
The golf shoe tires work well around here. Every year now my neighbor comes over for the tire and wheel swap. Les Schwab takes too long.

• Haha
Reactions: mushdogs
I had new gears installed to go with the bigger tires and had them do Detroit's truetrac LSDs. I would reason this combo would work for 4H on wet-snow-ice conditions. Am I wrong here? The 98 Jeep is mostly a Mall Crawler with 27K miles and has never seen snow or salt and intend to keep it that way but say I had to go to Wawa for a hoagie in 10 inches of snow... the 4H would be the way to go right?

Reactions: JMT
I’ve tested this like 20 times in the last two weeks. It’s almost impossible to even get moving in 2H. 🤣 4H is very helpful. If you stomp on the gas while moving 10-15mph in 2H you will immediately go sideways or more. Not so in 4H. If your turning in either you should not give it much gas. The surface is variable snow/ice, but either way there is more likelihood of finding traction in 4H than 2H.
Yes definitely being cautious and letting all the numbnuts skid past me. Like a moron I did just slide out in 2wd while turning, thanks to luck vs skill didn't hit anything. It's only been 12 years since experiencing these conditions. Obviously it's time to hit a big lot and practice! Thanks for all your help everyone

You might wreck if you do that. It’s best not to drive at all on ice, but if you have to up here in WA state 4H is better than 2H. In 2H rear wheel drive you are very likely to spin around if you are on the gas to much, It’s safest just to go slow in 4H.

My .02c

ps, always remember you dont have 4wd stop. LOL
Duly noted! Just learned that lesson lol

Boy, talk about a tough one to explain to folks and get them to understand it. We have to run a lot of small diameter front driveshafts and the critical speed is usually under 60 mph. I explain to the owners that they can't run in 4 hi faster than 50 or they may bow the driveshaft and tear up some stuff and since they have hubs, I doubt the caster will let them go much faster vibe free anyway.

They always want to be able to go faster. No, stop it, if you're in 4 hi, that means something sucks about the conditions and you don't need to go any faster.

When I tell them that they should read their owners manual that says max speed in four wheel drive is 45 that there is some kind of magic margin built in that allows them to ignore the warning. The same people also believe that a tires coefficient of friction somehow increases when you pull the tcase lever too.
Golf shoes, it's all about the golf shoes.
Sometimes situations call for corks instead.

Boy, talk about a tough one to explain to folks and get them to understand it. We have to run a lot of small diameter front driveshafts and the critical speed is usually under 60 mph. I explain to the owners that they can't run in 4 hi faster than 50 or they may bow the driveshaft and tear up some stuff and since they have hubs, I doubt the caster will let them go much faster vibe free anyway.

They always want to be able to go faster. No, stop it, if you're in 4 hi, that means something sucks about the conditions and you don't need to go any faster.
Question, Since the critical speed, (rpm) of the small diameter front DS would also occur in 2 wd. on a TJ.
Does this imply you must have lock out hubs installed and in the free position?
Otherwise you have a 45 mph highway machine, or another case of a Jeep that must be trailered everywhere.
Thanks Blaine

Question, Since the critical speed, (rpm) of the small diameter front DS would also occur in 2 wd. on a TJ.
Does this imply you must have lock out hubs installed and in the free position?
Otherwise you have a 45 mph highway machine, or another case of a Jeep that must be trailered everywhere.
Thanks Blaine
These all have locking hubs.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I would not drive in 4Hi (or 4Lo) on ice with the Wrangler's part-time 4x4 system.

Why not?

We are having some light snow 3-4" over night and since the daytime temps are a little over 32, the overnight slow melts during the day. Then it freezes up again as the temps drop at night with a fresh layer of snow on top. The ice tends to be patchy underneath the snow in the mornings. 4wd helps quite a bit as long as you keep the speed down. 4hi part time is perfect for this situation. There is no reason not to use it if you are being sensible about speeds and cornering.

Tacoma area. It's a lovely winterland here this week!
On the E side we've had snow on the ground and roads since Dec 10, and it won't get above freezing till who knows when. Forecast has us at -8* by the end of the week, so I suspect the snow and ice will be around till mid January at least.

It is beautiful. I wish I could get my Jeep running right so I could go play!

When I tell them that they should read their owners manual that says max speed in four wheel drive is 45 that there is some kind of magic margin built in that allows them to ignore the warning. The same people also believe that a tires coefficient of friction somehow increases when you pull the tcase lever too.

Sometimes situations call

Why not?

We are having some light snow 3-4" over night and since the daytime temps are a little over 32, the overnight slow melts during the day. Then it freezes up again as the temps drop at night with a fresh layer of snow on top. The ice tends to be patchy underneath the snow in the mornings. 4wd helps quite a bit as long as you keep the speed down. 4hi part time is perfect for this situation. There is no reason not to use it if you are being sensible about speeds and cornering.
👍

On the E side we've had snow on the ground and roads since Dec 10, and it won't get above freezing till who knows when. Forecast has us at -8* by the end of the week, so I suspect the snow and ice will be around till mid January at least.

It is beautiful. I wish I could get my Jeep running right so I could go play!
Ya need to "borrow" someone's lol

No reason you can not shift on the fly I just lift the throttle to slack the drivetrain when I do. Biggest things to remember is that four wheel drive really does not improve braking or turning at road speeds. And please do not be like the morons up here that drive half of the year in four wheel drive and complain of driveshaft vibrations at 60. If you think conditions warrant four wheel drive there is ZERO reason to be driving over 45 mph.
👍

Wow yes lets get our winter driving advice from Southern Californians that'll be great :rolleyes:. Next you can ask the Floridians about rock crawling 😁😁

Yes you can go into and out of 4hi as much as you need just let off the gas first.
Highways have very gradual turns so binding isn't an issue even if totally dry.
4wd helps maintain control when going, turning, and yes, even stopping. No it isn't magic but it does help. Find a safe spot and try it.
Airing down makes a big difference on snow and ice! Make sure to limit your speed if you air down a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and mushdogs
Lol yes bought my jeep in sunny Florida now in Washington state. Definitely needed some snowy driving refreshers. Thanks for the info!

Yeah… I live in a valley in the middle of the Cascades. Snow driving is part and parcel of life 6 months out of the year. Definitely not climbing up out of the valley on unplowed roads at 0-dark 30 in 2WD when I can pull the lever. Yes, 4WD can get you in trouble if you think it’s a cure all for compact snow and ice and do stupid things like 60 or tailgate the plow truck. Best to leave that to the weekenders in their Trail Rated Minivans. Someone has to keep the tow companies busy pulling them out of the banks and ditches.