Changing leaking oil pan drain plug

cr0sh

So, last week I did a needed oil change and on a lark, I decided to install a quick drain plug I had lying around; mind you, this was still new in package, something I had picked up for my old pickup (that my TJ replaced) that I never got around to installing.

It fit properly and snugged up ok, but unfortunately it drips. Not anything terrible, but my formerly relatively leak-free Jeep now leaks. Maybe it was inevitable? In the meantime, I went and purchased a proper Fumoto valve to replace it.

So here's where it gets interesting; what I was thinking about doing (and now have decided against), and what I was wondering about the possibility of - and if anyone out there had thoughts on it:

So - I was planning on doing a "quick change" of the plugs. I didn't want to drain and refill my system, and in theory I should be able to loosen the old plug up just enough, put my thumb nearby, then "pop it and seal it" with my thumb. Then quickly grab the new plug (Fumoto), and position it, then pop it in place and thread it into the hole...

In theory, it should work with a minimum of oil loss. I was thinking as long as I rehearsed my movements, had everything in place and at hand ahead of time, and put down a load of kitty litter to catch whatever did spill...well, giving it a bit more thought I decided against it. Maybe if I had a lift I'd do it (I've seen a couple of youtube videos - but they always used a lift), but laying in my driveway, even with some ramps, it just seemed like something -would- go wrong, and I'd have a helluva mess to clean up over something that is a minor annoyance right now.

Instead, I'm just going to put some more litter down into some disposable baking sheets and call it a day until my next oil change. That just seems the safer way to approach things.

But in the process, I also had this thought - how to reduce spillage. In theory (haha), the oil system is fairly closed, with the exception of a few "holes": The PCV system and the dipstick tube. I thought that - if I could seal off both (assuming the oil fill cap is not permeable?), then the only hole left would be the drain hole, and while oil could still flow, it should flow much slower with everything "capped off" so to speak. I didn't know where the air comes into the PCV system (I know the output is up front with the valve and hose to the intake - I least, I think that's how it works) - but I figured I could find that in some manner.

But would that work? In other words, if you could seal all the holes from the outside that lead to the crankcase, would it slow the oil flow from the bottom any, versus just leaving things as-is? I wouldn't expect it to be mess free, but I do wonder how much of a difference it would make? Or do all the other "holes" (I'm thinking any air that can get past say piston rings, or valve stem seals) between the "outside" and the "inside" still allow more air into the system than I think?

Or - am I forgetting any other possible ways that air gets into the crankcase?

Again - this is all just speculation and thoughts I've had. I'm not going to try this "quick change" technique, because I don't relish the idea of having to clean up a driveway oil spill, especially over a small drip like this...

You're thinking of the old straw and drink trick when you hold the liquid in with your thumb on top. think because the drain hole is a large diameter and not really a tube shape like a straw you're still going to get significant spillage. And I believe the drain hole is angled too so that also factors in. It all sounds great in theory though... the immaculate plug change lol

Have you thought of getting a clean pan and draining the oil in it to be reinserted in the engine after plug change.Just takes a little effort.You will more than likely be happy without oil leak. Just my .2 cents worth.

To much overthinking.

Just 1) Live with, and catch the leak like you mentioned, until the next oil change or 2) change the oil and put the Fumoto valve on at that time.

Personally, unless the leak was big, I'd leave it until the next change and keep an eye on it and the oil level.

I'd just wait until the next oil change, or get ready to put new oil in it. I've tried what you're talking about a number of times and never been successful. That oil comes out of there way too fast to stop it with your thumb if you ask me!

You're thinking of the old straw and drink trick when you hold the liquid in with your thumb on top.

Yep - something like that. My main thought there though was how much of a difference would plugging the other holes make; if it would slow it down at all. I really doubt it would stop it, as I am sure there are minute gaps for air to leak in. But it's kinda an academic question now since I'm not going to do it anyhow.

It all sounds great in theory though... the immaculate plug change lol

It'd be wonderful if you could "plug up everything" - whatever that means - and nothing would come out, maybe a drip or two. I don't think I'm that lucky, tho...heh.

Have you thought of getting a clean pan and draining the oil in it to be reinserted in the engine after plug change.

Yeah, I did think about that; I could probably even drain it back into the original jug (I keep the old jug around for the "next change" to dump the old oil into because I'm lazy about emptying the pan - and it's easier to transport that way too). But the amount of effort to do that almost equals that of an oil change. Did I note that I am lazy? :D

Just takes a little effort.You will more than likely be happy without oil leak. Just my .2 cents worth.

While I would be happier without the leak, I'm not going to sweat it over this. A couple of disposable cookie pans and some cat litter will suffice until the next oil change.

To much overthinking.

I'm a software engineer during the daytime - overthinking is me in a nutshell!

Personally, unless the leak was big, I'd leave it until the next change and keep an eye on it and the oil level.

That's my plan. Just isn't worth the pain or potential (likely) mess. My other vehicle (a VehiCROSS) I have to keep an eye on constantly because the Isuzu 3.5 is a known oil burner - so managing this small leak and such won't be that big a deal to me.

I've tried what you're talking about a number of times and never been successful. That oil comes out of there way too fast to stop it with your thumb if you ask me!

I saw a couple of youtube videos that showed someone doing it. The thing was, both times the guy's were mechanics, and the car was on a lift with them standing underneath. Even then, they still had more than a bit of leakage as they did it. Maybe a cup or so of oil. I could deal with that amount, but I think the position of being on my back, etc - plus not having the experience doing it... Both would likely work against me to leave me with a very big problem of my own making. Not really worth it over a small drip that I can deal with at the next change.

All - thank you for your thoughts on this!

I saw a couple of youtube videos that showed someone doing it. The thing was, both times the guy's were mechanics, and the car was on a lift with them standing underneath. Even then, they still had more than a bit of leakage as they did it. Maybe a cup or so of oil. I could deal with that amount, but I think the position of being on my back, etc - plus not having the experience doing it... Both would likely work against me to leave me with a very big problem of my own making. Not really worth it over a small drip that I can deal with at the next change.

All - thank you for your thoughts on this!

I suspect you just have to do it really fast! Like lighting fast reflexes. I tried this on our Subaru and unfortunately I wasn't fast enough. You might fair better though :)