Changing to smaller tires

Cowentz

I recently bought a 02 wrangler x. 4.0l, manual trans, 3.08 gearing, and 3" rustys lift. It came with fuel maverick 18x9 wheels and toyo m/t 33x12.5x18 tires. Needless to say after 2 weeks of driving I am looking at options. Online specs have wheel and tire combo right about 105lbs each. Would going to a 32x11.5x15 and saving @ 25lbs per wheel tire be noticeable or would i still need different gears for that. Really trying not to regear. What is smallest tire that would still look good with 3" lift?

Last edited:
Beauty is in they eye of the beholder. Plenty of photos on the internet with just about every combination you could imagine. My opinion is you should pick the tire size that allows you to do what you want with your Jeep and build around that. If that means changing the 3" lift then change it. Building around a lift that just happens to be on your Jeep seems like a bad idea.

Last edited:
This TJ?

You'll have to weigh the cost of changing wheels and tires against re-gearing. If you like the lift, wheels, and tires, worth checking into.

Reactions: skrelnik
Yes that TJ. Dont need 33x12.5's as most driving will be on road. Just want it to be enjoyable to drive.

I can figure out what size looks right by looking at pictures. I guess my main question is would saving 25lb per wheel be noticeable or would I still end up needing to regear.

Last edited:
3.07 is literally the worst gear ratio possible for a TJ. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Hell, even from the factory that gearing isn't close to what it should be (in my opinion). You really need to have it re-geared regardless of what size tires you go with.

However, before determining the correct gear ratio, you need to 100% set in stone what tire size you plan to run.

Reactions: mgroeger
Yes that TJ. Dont need 33x12.5's as most driving will be on road. Just want it to be enjoyable to drive.

I can figure out what size looks right by looking at pictures. I guess my main question is would saving 25lb per wheel be noticeable or would I still end up needing to regear.

Not an easy question to answer, take a look at a few gearing threads. My guess is that if you aren't happy now shedding 25lbs a wheel isn't going to make you happy but that's a big guess on my part. If I was in your shoes I might track down a stock 4.0 with stock wheels and take it for a test drive. That would be closer to 45lb drop in wheel/tire weight and even smaller tire size. It would give me two ends of a "ruler" and a 25lbs drop and 32" tires would be about in the middle.

I agree, gearing is your issue. At 3.73, that's not a good combination, let alone, 3.07.
If you went down 31's and light alloy wheels, you might see some effect.

Are you trying to maintain a decent fuel economy?

Reactions: Chris
Not too worried about fuel economy. I guess my thought is the current wheels and tires are basically new so should be able to sell or trade for smaller and not have to put out another $1200 to $1500 for a regear.

Round numbers-
After you sell the tires/wheels, but new, you're probably halfway to re-gearing. But, you'd be a lot happier.

If you were over here, I'd swap you in a New York minute. My next step is 33's, over my 31's right now.

H€ll, find another Jeeper near you to let you try out their 31's, just to see what you think.

I have 31's with a 3:73 ratio and mine is a dog if i am carrying more than myself. I turn off the OD on the 42RLE if I'm carrying 400-800 lbs more than myself. It isn't the weight so much as it is it is ratio.

31s with 3.07 is bearable if you don't mind downshifting a lot. You also lose 5th gear. I had 32s first and it was a PITA getting out of first gear from a dead stop. I would recommend 31s at most or regear. If its your DD then regear and get whatever size tires you want.