Chasing vibrations over a year and a half, finally fixed!

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Two different sets of tires, 4 different tire shops, 6 times this latest set were balanced. This last set was stock 225/75R15 Goodyear TrailRunner AT's and it took 6 tires to get 4 good ones. Goodyear did a pro-rated warranty on one of the bad ones but wouldn't do the other so I kept it as a spare. All these bozo's pointing the finger at the previous guys and yet the problem remained.

Thanks to a local Ford dealer with the latest Hunter RoadForce Elite and a guy who knows how to operate it. It's the pressure wheel that failed the hard spots and identified the bum tires. A regular dynamic balance will not identify the problem and our TJ's are very sensitive to this issue.

Why are we not talking drivelines? Simple! I have rebuilt this TJ from wheel nut to wheel nut, front to back. What didn't get replaced was measured and checked. Besides, the symptoms and speed were very tire specific. You guys with larger than stock AT tires may have more difficulties reaching smooth tire nirvana

Two different sets of tires, 4 different tire shops, 6 times this latest set were balanced. This last set was stock 225/75R15 Goodyear TrailRunner AT's and it took 6 tires to get 4 good ones. Goodyear did a pro-rated warranty on one of the bad ones but wouldn't do the other so I kept it as a spare. All these bozo's pointing the finger at the previous guys and yet the problem remained.

Thanks to a local Ford dealer with the latest Hunter RoadForce Elite and a guy who knows how to operate it. It's the pressure wheel that failed the hard spots and identified the bum tires. A regular dynamic balance will not identify the problem and our TJ's are very sensitive to this issue.

Why are we not talking drivelines? Simple! I have rebuilt this TJ from wheel nut to wheel nut, front to back. What didn't get replaced was measured and checked. Besides, the symptoms and speed were very tire specific. You guys with larger than stock AT tires may have more difficulties reaching smooth tire nirvana

I have had those problems with my Ram and my TJ. I have been back and forth to 4 different discount tires, and they couldn't get it right. I then finally spent the money to have 4wheel parts do it, and they got it right the first time. (Although from there I got the tires back with over 48 psi in the tires and the wheel lugs not torqued, but they didn't vibrate)

I have been driving 4x4's my whole life and never had the issues I have had lately. I am scared to get new tires because of this. I am not sure if the tires are worse than they used to be or what the problem is, but I have a tough time getting my tires balanced. Full disclosure Goodyear tried a couple times and couldn't get it right either and I run Goodyear tires.

I am glad you got it fixed!

I have had those problems with my Ram and my TJ. I have been back and forth to 4 different discount tires, and they couldn't get it right. I then finally spent the money to have 4wheel parts do it, and they got it right the first time. (Although from there I got the tires back with over 48 psi in the tires and the wheel lugs not torqued, but they didn't vibrate)

I have been driving 4x4's my whole life and never had the issues I have had lately. I am scared to get new tires because of this. I am not sure if the tires are worse than they used to be or what the problem is, but I have a tough time getting my tires balanced. Full disclosure Goodyear tried a couple times and couldn't get it right either and I run Goodyear tires.

I am glad you got it fixed!
It might be most of tire balancing equipment I am seeing now is made in china

Reactions: MaloStapalo and ac_

how do you like the Trailrunners? I'm needing a new set of tires here soon

yrs ago there was a machine which could balance the entire wheel assembly by running it on the tire. you left the wheel on the car and set it on a set of rollers. it would balance the entire wheel rotating assembly. maybe we need the old school technology

Reactions: Squatch
It would be a heck of a coinkidink if a tire went out of balance at the exact same time I re-geared. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Exactly, and not just to you, but to me and @Chris. I agree that tires always need to be checked (and I have asked Dave) but I doubt all of us have tire issues only.

Reactions: Chris
Doesn't explain why my vibes go away when I pull the front driveshaft. Don't think that has anything to do with tire balance.

Reactions: ac_
Doesn't explain why my vibes go away when I pull the front driveshaft. Don't think that has anything to do with tire balance.
I bet in your case, it has more to do with the change of speed of your driveline. I wish we lived close to each other, so we could borrow each others front driveline, and see if it changes or fixes your issue.

Reactions: bobthetj03
yrs ago there was a machine which could balance the entire wheel assembly by running it on the tire. you left the wheel on the car and set it on a set of rollers. it would balance the entire wheel rotating assembly. maybe we need the old school technology
Used to use one back in the early '80s when I worked at a brake and suspension shop. My boss considered it a superior way to balance the tires.