Cheap! Mopar rock rails

I thought you had bought them from this seller. I was fine with the cost of these, but if you got 'em that much cheaper, then good on ya, Chief! That's a helluva buy!

No I found one from a seller for 180$ so I grabbed that.. but I found these from this seller in my searching.. it was the only other seller at the time with them on eBay. So i figured this was new old stock and possibly rare so I shared it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squatch
No I found one from a seller for 180$ so I grabbed that.. but I found these from this seller in my searching.. it was the only other seller at the time with them on eBay. So i figured this was new old stock and possibly rare so I shared it lol

Oh, okay. Got it! ;)

Install pretty painless?

Install pretty painless?

I have not put them on, I’m guessing it’s just plug and play from what it looks like. I have a 2004 rubicon tho. On my instructions it is different for 97-03, it showed a drill and stuff.. when I get home from work I will try to remember to send the full instructions I got with it

I found a guy on the AEV forum who has the LJ version, he purchased a few of them from a dealership's body shop and is now reselling them. Problem is he doesn't take PayPal and you must send him a check or bankcheck. Decent price, more than the TJ version due to shipping costs. He is located in Michigan for any local LJ guys. All hardware is included.

https://forum.aev-conversions.com/f...-04-06-lj-unlimited-or-rubicon-new-in-the-box

I ended up purchasing the Mopar rock rails for my LJ through the link in post 26. I was skeptical at first because the Seller would only take a money order or bank check, but after speaking to him I gained a level of comfort and went against my principles and sent a money order.

About a week after sending the money order the rock rails arrived, well packaged.
20180828_135417.jpg 20180828_135423.jpg

Install was a breeze, and no special tools are required. Directions are included, with tools listed for the install.

20180828_135605.jpg

The rails have a rubber protector that sit between the rock rails and Jeeps body.

20180828_135544.jpg

The rails connect to the body, and use the existing mounting holes located on the underside. You just use the supplied hardware to install, the nutserts and related tool. Nutserts are awesome!!! Then you must drill into the lower side of the body, use more nutserts, and then screw the rock rails into place.

This is a variation of a nutsert. You drill a hole and plug the hole with a nutsert. You then use the supplied tool to crush it into place.

Nutsert
20180903_075840.jpg

The tool, which is a bolt and nut. In the picture the tool is already inside the nutsert. Also, I had an extra flange bolt on hand just in case the tool broke.

20180903_075940.jpg

This is the nutsert after getting crushed and now ready to accept a screw. In this case the screw is already in there. This is where I drilled into the side of the body, passenger side where the spare tire jack parts are located. The carpet covers it up.

20180903_081417.jpg

Before installing the nutserts, it is recommended to paint the holes to avoid rust. I purchased some primer, paint and clearcoat to do this, but also to touch up other areas of the Jeep, like rock chips and around the tub where it meets the hardtop.

20180903_080051.jpg

The finished product.

20180902_214605.jpg 20180902_214618.jpg 20180902_214626.jpg 20180903_075802.jpg

I ended up purchasing the Mopar rock rails for my LJ through the link in post 26. I was skeptical at first because the Seller would only take a money order or bank check, but after speaking to him I gained a level of comfort and went against my principles and sent a money order.

About a week after sending the money order the rock rails arrived, well packaged.
View attachment 54120 View attachment 54121

Install was a breeze, and no special tools are required. Directions are included, with tools listed for the install.

View attachment 54123

The rails have a rubber protector that sit between the rock rails and Jeeps body.

View attachment 54124

The rails connect to the body, and use the existing mounting holes located on the underside. You just use the supplied hardware to install, the nutserts and related tool. Nutserts are awesome!!! Then you must drill into the lower side of the body, use more nutserts, and then screw the rock rails into place.

This is a variation of a nutsert. You drill a hole and plug the hole with a nutsert. You then use the supplied tool to crush it into place.

Nutsert
View attachment 54125

The tool, which is a bolt and nut. In the picture the tool is already inside the nutsert. Also, I had an extra flange bolt on hand just in case the tool broke.

View attachment 54126

This is the nutsert after getting crushed and now ready to accept a screw. In this case the screw is already in there. This is where I drilled into the side of the body, passenger side where the spare tire jack parts are located. The carpet covers it up.

View attachment 54127

Before installing the nutserts, it is recommended to paint the holes to avoid rust. I purchased some primer, paint and clearcoat to do this, but also to touch up other areas of the Jeep, like rock chips and around the tub where it meets the hardtop.

View attachment 54128

The finished product.

View attachment 54129 View attachment 54130 View attachment 54131 View attachment 54132

Looks good, I still don’t think I have any of the hardware lol. I do however already have a plate on my Jeep where this goes and it is already fastened in the same exact spots.. at least from what I can tell, I hope I can just plug and play lol.

Reactions: skrelnik
That’s what I’m hoping lol. From what I can tell it looks that way, I will try to throw mine on soon so I can confirm this!

It has to be. I don’t know for sure either but that would be messed up if they made a guy drill holes right next to the existing holes hahahha. Never know tho!

Reactions: Rubirob
It has to be. I don’t know for sure either but that would be messed up if they made a guy drill holes right next to the existing holes hahahha. Never know tho!

That’s what I was thinking lol, one of the biggest reasons I got these. With how prone the tub is to rust I wanted all these had to offer.. no drilling, and the rubber seal

That’s what I was thinking lol, one of the biggest reasons I got these. With how prone the tub is to rust I wanted all these had to offer.. no drilling, and the rubber seal

How does the Rubicon's diamond plate attach? Does it attach to the side of the body only, or also underneath? Is it bolted it, or did they use nutserts from the factory?

How does the Rubicon's diamond plate attach? Does it attach to the side of the body only, or also underneath? Is it bolted it, or did they use nutserts from the factory?

From what I saw it bolts on side and bottom, in the same location that the pattern on the sliders. I’m pretty sure you don’t need to drill anything if you have a rubicon.. but I could be wrong lol.. I don’t want to drill lol

Reactions: Starrs
From what I saw it bolts on side and bottom, in the same location that the pattern on the sliders. I’m pretty sure you don’t need to drill anything if you have a rubicon.. but I could be wrong lol.. I don’t want to drill lol

Rubicon diamond plate mounts on the body and underneath. I’d say it’s a pretty simple install if you have a Rubicon to start with.

Reactions: Rubirob