Check engine light and code U0155 appeared when winching

DaveF

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So today up in the snow, I was in the middle of a 4 Jeep winch chain (took three of us to get enough traction to pull the stuck guy it was so slick) and when I was winching, the check engine light came on. I pulled up torque on my new android stereo and viewed the codes and saw the ones below. Searching the internet It seems to be an instrument cluster communication code, and per the information below a common cause is a bad battery... could the fact that this happened when my winch was pulling a bunch of power be an indication of a failing battery? The Jeep starts fine, and voltage seems fine... any other common causes to check?

1608446314853.png

... common cause is a bad battery... could the fact that this happened when my winch was pulling a bunch of power be an indication of a failing battery?

From my (not Jeep) experience, Yes it could. Or it could be your alternator was never "big" enough to begin with to keep up with the winch since winching takes a ton of amps for a much longer time than the starter.

The Jeep starts fine, and voltage seems fine... any other common causes to check?

Probably not.

Is the light still on? If so I'd disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect it and hope the light didn't come back on until I went to a hill and pulled my Jeep up it as a "retest" of what happened.

From my (not Jeep) experience, Yes it could. Or it could be your alternator was never "big" enough to begin with to keep up with the winch since winching takes a ton of amps for a much longer time than the starter.

Probably not.

Is the light still on? If so I'd disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect it and hope the light didn't come back on until I went to a hill and pulled my Jeep up it as a "retest" of what happened.
After noting the fault, I cleared it to see if it would reappear. Haven't winched since then though and it hasn't reappeared. It's not a daily driver though so next time I drive it will likely be off road again next weekend, so high likelihood of winching.