"Check Gauges" light

RYAN17

Okay so I have had the check gauges light come on on my TJ for about a week now. I noticed the battery charge gauge was going lower and lower and then yesterday it completely died on me. So I went out and got a new battery today. Still getting low power, I don't know if this is in my head but it felt like the Jeep was lagging not accelerating as usual. I read some other posts on the forums and some sounded like some people had computer issues that were showing up in this way. I don't really know where to start. I don't have a code reader so I haven't looked at anything. The voltage gauge on the dash sits at the dot below 14 (so im guessing around 12). I am sadly looking to sell my TJ soon so I don't want to put any more money into it. I also don't want to stick someone with a big problem so if anyone can help me out or had similar experience that would be great.

Okay so I have had the check gauges light come on on my TJ for about a week now. I noticed the battery charge gauge was going lower and lower and then yesterday it completely died on me. So I went out and got a new battery today. Still getting low power, I don't know if this is in my head but it felt like the Jeep was lagging not accelerating as usual. I read some other posts on the forums and some sounded like some people had computer issues that were showing up in this way. I don't really know where to start. I don't have a code reader so I haven't looked at anything. The voltage gauge on the dash sits at the dot below 14 (so im guessing around 12). I am sadly looking to sell my TJ soon so I don't want to put any more money into it. I also don't want to stick someone with a big problem so if anyone can help me out or had similar experience that would be great.
Have you alternator tested at your local auto parts shop. Sounds like it isn't charging properly.

Reactions: tr21triton
Cycling the ignition from OFF to ON 3 times without starting the engine will give you the code connected to the Check Gauges light. The code will point you in the right direction.

Definitely look into the alternator.

Do you have a multi meter?

I exolain in posts that a multi meter isn't good for testing a battery as you need to see true cold cranking amps but a multi meter is fine for testing the alternator.

Start it up...stick the multi meter probes right on the the battery posts. If the alternator is working properly you'll see 14.28 volts...(somewhere around that)

****make sure your connections are good. Tight, clean, no corrosion...etc. *****

Word of note...
Alternators can show good voltage when cold on initial startup but minutes later be putting out 2 full volts less. Don't just stick probes on abd check and walk away. Keep them on and watch the voltage for at least a minute. Is it gradually dropping right before your very eyes? This is a bad alternator.

If the alternator is toast it will show a low charging voltage immediately. Low as in 12 volts or lower.

I dont have a multimeter anymore but I can prob pick one up this week and try that out. I got P1682 code on my dash too