Checking for level

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
Just let my Rubicon down to check spring level. Rear has the OME shocks installed; front is just on
springs. It looks pretty level, but Trying to determine if I should add a space ring to front. Ideas? Any measuring points?

I just scrolled to line up your front and rear wheels which put your rear wheel about 1/8" higher than the fronts on my screen due to camera angle. Then I scrolled a little farther to line up the fender flares where the rear is about 3/16" higher on my screen so you seem to be leaning forward a little.

I'll say it seems to look fine in that picture. I'll also say my scrolling contradicts that. You need to at least get out a tape measure and measure from the ground up to the flares and see what it is. If it's less than 1" part of me wouldn't worry about it but part of me would.

All that and I don't even know what size spacers are available.

Good Luck and Keep on Jeepin'

Use the seam between your hard top and body tub as your reference point and snug up an ordinary 36" level. Check both sides of your rig to see if the level is the same.

Whether your rig is level, tail up or nose up, drive for a week or so to let things settle in before you change anything. You may also want to check level with fuel tank empty and full and normal gear in and out to note any differences.

I like a very slight rake toward the front when empty so that my jeep sits level when loaded with the usual gear and a full tank of gas.

I just scrolled to line up your front and rear wheels which put your rear wheel about 1/8" higher than the fronts on my screen due to camera angle. Then I scrolled a little farther to line up the fender flares where the rear is about 3/16" higher on my screen so you seem to be leaning forward a little.

I'll say it seems to look fine in that picture. I'll also say my scrolling contradicts that. You need to at least get out a tape measure and measure from the ground up to the flares and see what it is. If it's less than 1" part of me wouldn't worry about it but part of me would.

Using the flares or a level on the

the front is about 7/16 higher. I am going to go ahead with assembly. Thanks

Your method yieled about the same result as measuring up the center line to the flares. The front is about 7/16 higher. I am going to go ahead with assembly and remeasure in accouple of weeks. Thanks for your help.

Don't worry about level, an experienced Jeeper on another forum used to say a level Jeep is highly over-rated. Truth is when you put a cheeseburger in the back or fill up the tank it wont be level anymore.

Reactions: Ron Hall
Don't worry about level, an experienced Jeeper on another forum used to say a level Jeep is highly over-rated. Truth is when you put a cheeseburger in the back or fill up the tank it wont be level anymore.

I'd love to have a big enough cheeseburger on the passenger side to make up for me on the driver side.

Reactions: B252
When you make the Jeep level in the driveway, be sure to add your weight to the driver's seat. You'll also have to decide if you want the Jeep to be level with a full or empty tank of gas. Then there are passengers and animals to think about.

That's too much to think about, imo. Keeping some rake is much easier.