Checking for shock damage delivered in opened packaging

UKTJ

TJ Addict
I ordered some parts from Quadratec for delivery to the UK, including four Blackmax shocks. When the boxes arrived one of them had clearly been damaged and taped back up by FedEx. When I opened the outer box I found one of the shocks loose in the box next to the actual box for the shock itself.

I do not have the springs for my lift yet and will not be fitting the new shocks for maybe a month. Ideally though I would like to know if the damage to the packaging en route has resulted in damage to the shock taken out of its box. Is there an easy way to check for any damage before the shock is fitted (other than looking for dents of which there are none I can see)?

You could cut the restraining strap that most shock absorbers have on them for shipping to fit inside the manufacturers box; then verify the shock extends fully. Push down on the shock to see if it will compress fully without leaking from the shaft seal.
It no problems such as LJ referenced above and none after you exercise the shock; then it should be good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKTJ and L J
Its a hard life with importing TJ parts that most on here would never know!
I’m sure FedEx (and others) have ability smash up boxes on domestic deliveries as well :ROFLMAO:

I suspect it happened in Paris, I had an update from FedEx at one point telling me there was a potential delay due to an “operational delay” at Charles de Gaulle. Given the quoted location I assumed somebody was on strike, but now I guess it was a French worker angry about AUKUS taking it out on my delivery :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco
No worse than importing parts for a PZJ75 LC in the Philippines.
Either bring them with you when you fly over or have them shipped from the UAE/AU/JN.
The world has got smaller but the workforce seem to think they are all Uber eats divers, I will have them shocks with a Rogan Josh garlic nan pilau rice and and 2 popudums! Just chuck the shockies over there as you wont get a tip for delivering them so they don't matter as much! :)

Unfortunately it is no better here. I ordered the tailgate reinforcing kit from ET. It came in a box that was basically destroyed. Missing hardware, missing snubber, scratched metal. Sigh!!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: UKTJ