Child seat anchors

Assforkr

TJ Enthusiast
I've searched through the threads for rear facing anchors and come up empty.

As far as I can tell, my 02 doesn't have the seat anchors to "clip" the seat into like the later models have. I do have the rear upper clip located near the tailgate floor pan

I'd love to see a picture of what those look like (the metal rings attached to the seat frame) so I can see if it makes sense to stat figuring out a solution.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think that was a thing mid 2000’s. I know I have to use the seat belt in my ‘97 truck. I may be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had my 00 2.5 and absolutely had to take my son in his rear facing I turned off passenger airbag and Hooked up front for the short drive. Didn't like the idea of the rear in the Jeep.

Fast forward he's turning 3 now I open the door and say hop in your seat and he's just just that in and out mounted the front facing in the middle of my 04 now.

When I had my 00 2.5 and absolutely had to take my son in his rear facing I turned off passenger airbag and Hooked up front for the short drive. Didn't like the idea of the rear in the Jeep.

Fast forward he's turning 3 now I open the door and say hop in your seat and he's just just that in and out mounted the front facing in the middle of my 04 now.

Ok so what do you use to anchor the seat? On an 04 you're "supposed" to have the rear facing anchors as well. Would you mind grabbing a pic?

Front facing or rear?

When he was in rear I turned off airbag and used passenger seat.

Front now when he's behind the pass seat I use the main top anchor on the floor of the "trunk" but I'm not seeing any other anchors that I hear we are "supposed" to have. But when I have him in the middle my buddy and fireman and fellow jeeper showed me the way to use both rear seat belts and that thing won't move a millimeter.

Front facing or rear?

When he was in rear I turned off airbag and used passenger seat.

Front now when he's behind the pass seat I use the main top anchor on the floor of the "trunk" but I'm not seeing any other anchors that I hear we are "supposed" to have. But when I have him in the middle my buddy and fireman and fellow jeeper showed me the way to use both rear seat belts and that thing won't move a millimeter.

Rear facing on the rear seat. I guess we're dealing with a mystery here. I was under the impression that there were anchor loops on 03 and older TJs.

Let's see if anyone else chimes in. Thanks man!

Rear facing on the rear seat. I guess we're dealing with a mystery here. I was under the impression that there were anchor loops on 03 and older TJs.

Let's see if anyone else chimes in. Thanks man!
Low and behold I went and checked just got the 04 after selling the 00 so ha there is a set!

E70632E4-DEAA-4BEE-9EB5-2BBBDEFACA2F.jpeg

8092702F-A714-48F3-A97F-C8D322E3BCAA.jpeg

Mine is an 06, but if it helps: (the last pic is of my toddler’s connection to the body)

View attachment 84363View attachment 84364View attachment 84365View attachment 84366

Ok this is great!

Clear some things up for me.

1) It looks like you have a hook that clips into the floor mounted cleat on the passenger side of the kid seat.
2) this hook is attached to a strap that passes over the seat base and clips onto a cleat on the driver side rear rear seat hinge?

Let me know if I'm wrong. Also if you can grab a pic of the mounting point on that rear seat hinge I'd be in your debt.

Either way, thanks!

Reactions: Zaythedad
Ok this is great!

Clear some things up for me.

1) It looks like you have a hook that clips into the floor mounted cleat on the passenger side of the kid seat.
2) this hook is attached to a strap that passes over the seat base and clips onto a cleat on the driver side rear rear seat hinge?

Let me know if I'm wrong. Also if you can grab a pic of the mounting point on that rear seat hinge I'd be in your debt.

Either way, thanks!

I have two car seats in my car:

1. Driver side: rear facing base for an infant. This just has the two attachments (both to the seat)
2. Passenger side: forward facing car seat for my 3yro. This has two clips to the seat as well and the over the seat strap (the last picture).

Sorry for the confusion in my ordering.

I have two car seats in my car:

1. Driver side: rear facing base for an infant. This just has the two attachments (both to the seat)
2. Passenger side: forward facing car seat for my 3yro. This has two clips to the seat as well and the over the seat strap (the last picture).

Sorry for the confusion in my ordering.

View attachment 84379
View attachment 84380View attachment 84381

You're the man.

Can you snag a picture of where the seat base for the rear facing attaches to? My base has two leashes (little seat belt things) that clip have to attach to the jeep seat somewhere. I think you have the same thing. I need to see the locations where those little seat belts lock "onto" the jeep. I can figure out if I can retrofit something to those points of see if I can just swap a 2006 seat into my 2002.

You're the man.

Can you snag a picture of where the seat base for the rear facing attaches to? My base has two leashes (little seat belt things) that clip have to attach to the jeep seat somewhere. I think you have the same thing. I need to see the locations where those little seat belts lock "onto" the jeep. I can figure out if I can retrofit something to those points of see if I can just swap a 2006 seat into my 2002.

I think pictures 2 and 3 in #11 show those connections (that's the driver side rear facing base). Do you have another view in mind?

I think pictures 2 and 3 in #11 show those connections (that's the driver side rear facing base). Do you have another view in mind?

Yup. You're right. I'm trying to see how those two little "seat belt" clips from the kid seat attach to the cleat on the floor/side of seat.

Do you have to have an extension strap from the floor cleat that ends with a d loop that you buckle the kid seat into (passenger side)?
Does the driver side "seat belt" clip into the TJ rear seat hinge or does it also have a strap that has a D loop for the little seat belt connector and clips into a floor pan cleat.

Not to revive an old thread but I've ran into the car seat issue on a 2000 TJ. This is my 2nd TJ, first was an 01 that I sold, and just bought a '00. My 01 had the tethers behind the rear seat meant for the front facing car seats. Never installed a car seat in that Jeep nor realized that's what they were for.

I only registered here because a lot of these pictures above have tethers attached to cargo hooks (footman loops) on the floor which are not meant for car seats. They lack the structural integrity for that. I didn't want someone in the future finding this thread and hooking them to those.

Mine are front facing now and I had to use the locking clips on the rear belts meant for vehicles without locking seatbelt (TJ's) and I added a heavy duty "L" bracket from Home Depot bolted to the floor that is a lot more sturdy that the factory hook that came on my '01. From what I can tell they only had the bolt there in 2000, and they added a tether attachment in '01. After that they kept progressing with the latch attachments. Hopefully this helps someone.

IMG_2623.jpg

Not to revive an old thread but I've ran into the car seat issue on a 2000 TJ. This is my 2nd TJ, first was an 01 that I sold, and just bought a '00. My 01 had the tethers behind the rear seat meant for the front facing car seats. Never installed a car seat in that Jeep nor realized that's what they were for.

I only registered here because a lot of these pictures above have tethers attached to cargo hooks (footman loops) on the floor which are not meant for car seats. They lack the structural integrity for that. I didn't want someone in the future finding this thread and hooking them to those.

Mine are front facing now and I had to use the locking clips on the rear belts meant for vehicles without locking seatbelt (TJ's) and I added a heavy duty "L" bracket from Home Depot bolted to the floor that is a lot more sturdy that the factory hook that came on my '01. From what I can tell they only had the bolt there in 2000, and they added a tether attachment in '01. After that they kept progressing with the latch attachments. Hopefully this helps someone.

View attachment 128728

Thanks for the info man. Quick question about the seat belt lock. Are you using the clip so the seat doesn't rock side to side during normal travel? What's the purpose?

Also to help anyone looking at this thread in the future, I went looking for 03-06 seats that have the clips in the seat for the child seat anchors and i'm afraid it's not possible to swap on 03-06 seat into an earlier TJ. The mounting locations are different between the two and the 03 rear brackets are mounted to floor right over the rear shock upper mount. Making it very difficult to access and install. FYI.