Child seats and top off?

IronCity

TJ Enthusiast
I'm interested in what you guys think of driving with child seats and the top off. I know the soft top provides no added safety but I think I'm feeling a little self conscious of what others think when they see me and my kids on the road. I know I should careless bc the kids and the wife love to ride in the jeep with the wind blowing around us. I have 2 girls 3 and 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
74441069a6e73d4d9da00186feb1a207.jpg

I have the top and doors off with child seats all Summer long. Would I be safer in a big SUV with tons of air bags? Of course.

However, the kids love it, and you can die walking out your door these days. I'm not going to deprive the kids of fun and childhood memories!

My son is almost 5 months, so I believe he may be too young to even have the windows out.

I'm not sure though....

Anyway, when he's older, that top is coming right off.

Like @Chris said. You can always put them in a higher safety rated SUV but you miss out on the joy of the Jeep. We as a society have gotten a little to safety crazy. I remember as a kid riding down the road with my feet dangling off the tail gate of my dad's truck and standing up in the front seat with no thoughts of a car seat. I know times have changed and roads are more packed but riding in a TJ in a safety seat would be light years ahead of where a lot of us were in regards to safety when we were kids.

My 8 year old can ride in the jeep with no safety seat and she loves it. My 3 and 6 year olds ride in the back with car seats and you should see the smiles. I don't take them on long trips (just around town at 35-40 mph) but trips to the store we do take are memorable ones. They always ask to take the long way home or another trip around the block. As long as you're legal with the seats you'll be fine. But three things, pony tails are great, sun glasses are great, hats are not. So use lots of sunscreen with the top off.

Don't deprive them! If they're properly strapped in and the seats are properly mounted they're safe.
I have the top and doors off with child seats all Summer long. Would I be safer in a big SUV with tons of air bags? Of course.

However, the kids love it, and you can die walking out your door these days. I'm not going to deprive the kids of fun and childhood memories!
This...
Like @Chris said. You can always put them in a higher safety rated SUV but you miss out on the joy of the Jeep. We as a society have gotten a little to safety crazy. I remember as a kid riding down the road with my feet dangling off the tail gate of my dad's truck and standing up in the front seat with no thoughts of a car seat. I know times have changed and roads are more packed but riding in a TJ in a safety seat would be light years ahead of where a lot of us were in regards to safety when we were kids.
Raised two daughters who both lived to adulthood. Pickup trucks, Jeeps, racing sailboats, outdoor activities... They both turned out to be pretty decent human beings and only have minor scars with associated stories to share. I believe there is such a thing as over protecting your children. Driving your kids around in a TJ with the top off is NOT a dangerous activity. Rock climbing with a kid strapped to your back may be pushing it.

My son is almost 5 months, so I believe he may be too young to even have the windows out.

I'm not sure though....

Anyway, when he's older, that top is coming right off.
Oh, four month old granddaughter went to Elk Camp last fall. Had a blast, and wiggles, grins and makes lots of noise when the family starts talking about Elk, so she recognizes the word.
4340.jpeg

Do it all the time. Mine dig "Dads Jeep." I probably wouldn't sit them in the back without the top if they were 3 or less because it gets "super windy back there" as my 5 year old says:D

Reactions: IronCity
So long as the car seats are properly installed... I believe it's perfectly safe. Think of it this way... if you feel comfortable with your child in the back of the jeep at any age... why not car seat age. A wise man once said "what other people think of me is none of my business". My kids ages 3 and 1 love it. I do keep them off of the interstate at this age due to the wind.
IMG_4457.JPG

As mentioned above, make sure to use sunscreen and a sunshade when the kids are in the back with the top off.

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z3NH7BO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Blocks something like 90% of the UV rays. You get the no too feel without getting burnt alive. Still, put sunscreen on the little ones just to be safe!

Of course, piled it on before I took them out. Was pushing 93 today in So jersey. I'm def getting a shade though thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
So long as the car seats are properly installed... I believe it's perfectly safe. Think of it this way... if you feel comfortable with your child in the back of the jeep at any age... why not car seat age. A wise man once said "what other people think of me is none of my business". My kids ages 3 and 1 love it. I do keep them off of the interstate at this age due to the wind.
View attachment 16045

Is that a seat cover? Doesn't look stock but I dig it

So at what age did you guys start driving with the top off or windows out?

Next summer my son will be 1.5 years old. Probably still too young by then.

So at what age did you guys start driving with the top off or windows out?

Next summer my son will be 1.5 years old. Probably still too young by then.

Started mine out after a year. Probably around 14 months old or so.

Is that a seat cover? Doesn't look stock but I dig it

Rugged ridge seat covers. The black has faded pretty good but they look good and protect my seats well. Would like to replace the, with Iggee covers eventually.