Chili Pepper Frame Swap

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Brought the salvage frame home a couple of weeks ago and it's all cleaned up and repainted. Awaiting delivery on the Eastwood internal frame coating to protect the internals. Frame was remarkably clean inside and out, used the borescope to inspect the nutserts and they were excellent. One of the pics shows the inside with original black paint just forward of the rear spring perch.

Will probably have the body close to being off tomorrow, managed to remove 6 of the 11 body mounts without breaking and I'm happy with that. I'll add some pic's during the process.
20191002_193349_HDR(1).jpg
20191008_105742.jpg
20191020_145828.jpg

Well she is back into a roller now and the steering is finished up, just have to do a basic alignment until she makes it to the alignment shop. Stripped down the engine accessories and getting it cleaned up for paint and most likely new freeze plugs.

Roller.jpg

Great thread and awesome progress on the frame swap. I might be looking at a frame shortly. How do you determine if it’s bent/twisted?

Got slowed down this week by the engine detail work but it is coming along, suspension, fuel lines and brake lines are complete. Blasted the valve cover yesterday and that was a nightmare trying to remove the powder coating but between the garnet media and the torch to heat the coating it finally came clean. Getting recoated tomorrow. The undersize bushings made a big difference with the front sway bar, all nice and tight now.

Chassis comp3.jpg
Chassis comp2.jpg
Chassis comp1.jpg

Well the chassis is complete and the tub is about ready to drop back in place.

Just finished replacing the 4 body mounts and the patch panels worked out very nicely. Gonna scrub the underside tomorrow and undercoat the tub.
20191125_155422_HDR.jpg