Chomoly axle shaft recommendations for LJ Rubicon (other than Revolution)

Ed1967

Supporting Member
RG&A is out of stock till September. What other axle would be good to use for front and rear? Thanks

You have Dana 44 axles front & rear, I wouldn't be worried enough about them enough to not be able to wait for RGA to get them back in stock.

Reactions: afmoto
Im not 100% positive sure on this, a friend told me bought his American made chromoly Foote front axles through Dynatrac and it was cheaper than RGA.
(RGA uses Foote for their front American made Axle shafts)

Ill PM you a screenshot of our convo confirming this.

If you dont want to wait for RGA, you could go with Dutchman Axle or Moser Axle. Both are American made and can do custom axles in whatever spline count, bolt pattern, and length that will meet your requirements.

That'd be the only axle I'd even worry about with a Dana 44 being up front.

I'm not sure why you would say that, given the Dana 30 has the same u-joints. I'd rather have both, like he wants.

OP, Ten Factory are good shafts, too, while not being US made shafts. I've run several brands of import axle shafts.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not sure why you would say that, given the Dana 30 has the same u-joints. I'd rather have both, like he wants
He has an LJ Rubicon so he has a Dana 44 up front. His stock 30 spline front shafts are more than up to tough trails with 35's and locker.

I thought the front was the weaker one.

It is for non-Rubicons like mine, with a Dana 30 front. I just ordered the front chromoly Revolution axle shafts but I'm holding off on the rear chromoly shafts for my Dana 44 rear until I put a locker in it (currently have a TrueTrac LSD). Your Rubicon already has a locker, so @Jerry Bransford is probably giving you good advice to start out with the rear chromoly axles.

I'm waiting for a quote for the rear axle shafts and I can forward it to you if you're interested. Maybe I'll see you at Hollister someday, looks like we're both in the southbay.

He has an LJ Rubicon so he has a Dana 44 up front. His stock 30 spline front shafts are more than up to tough trails with 35's and locker.

I know what axle he has. I disagree. The u-joint ears are the weak point which are the same in both axles. It's rarely the inner shafts that break.

edit: Especially if it's an auto.

It is for non-Rubicons like mine, with a Dana 30 front. I just ordered the front chromoly Revolution axle shafts but I'm holding off on the rear chromoly shafts for my Dana 44 rear until I put a locker in it (currently have a TrueTrac LSD). Your Rubicon already has a locker, so @Jerry Bransford is probably giving you good advice to start out with the rear chromoly axles.

I'm waiting for a quote for the rear axle shafts and I can forward it to you if you're interested. Maybe I'll see you at Hollister someday, looks like we're both in the southbay.
I’m near Santana Row

I know what axle he has. I disagree. The u-joint ears are the weak point which are the same in both axles. It's rarely the inner shafts that break.

edit: Especially if it's an auto.
They don't use the same U-joint. The older TJ Dana 30 came with Spicer 5-297X, the 2003 and newer Rubicon came out with the stronger and more durable Spicer 5-760x. They are physically the same size but that is where the resemblance ends. The Rubicon's 5-760x is a common upgrade for the 5-297X.

They don't use the same U-joint. The older TJ Dana 30 came with Spicer 5-297X, the 2003 and newer Rubicon came out with the stronger and more durable Spicer 5-760x. They are physically the same size but that is where the resemblance ends. The Rubicon's 5-760 x is a common upgrade for the 5-297X.

Again, I know all that. I said ears, not joints. The shafts are the same size at the ears (yokes), and I would want those replaced, first if I had to choose. I've wheeled a lot on stock shafts, and know where the weak points lie.

Do you guys think I can go on the Rubicon Trail with these axles and not break? Manual transmission and 35 inch tires