Chris dropping a JK for a TJ?

like Chris, I too am looking for Clean LJ, I'm coming form a CJ what can I say.. Seems I was naïve to think the LJ's were more affordable than the JK's. I didn't realize the LJ's had become the collectors item they are today.
Some may know my ideal ride will be practically modded, quality 2.5" 3" lift, LJ OME, JK AEV. 33" ish rubber, 4:10's 4:11's locked or limited slipped. some armor, keeping the mostly modded factory look. pass on the angry bird and 22"s.

Getting to my point. Seems some of you have had both JK's and LJ's, some are coming back to a LJ after owning a JK, JKU, If you care to share your wisdom, id like to ask why. Is it looks? certainly not comfort. Is it simplicity of being able to do most work your self with out a deep tool box of electrical component test gear? Is it for something that has not been mentioned yet, the superiority of the jeep wave perhaps?

Seems one can get a better LJ for 16-22K, seems one can get a pretty nice 13-16 JK for about the same price. I chose 2013 as a starting year because of the 3.8 to 3.6 change out, Im aware the 3.6 came out in 12 ish, never liked first year change of anything myself.
If one had there jeep stolen or wrecked Id think it would be easier to get your insurance coverage to cover your newer jeep than your older one wouldn't it? No haggling over street value vs agreed upon value. I bring up the insurance question because I could never get my old CJ covered for what I had invested for parts, let alone labor.

I understand this isn't my thread and I do not intend on hi-jacking but in my old man opinion it's more to the point than splitting the hairs over the generation naming convention isn't... gulp,,, no offence intended it's all in good fun,,
I can just hear John Wayne and Clint Eastwood discussing there generation name during a smoke and a whisky now, not a vape and a 12 dollar beer, lol.

I do enjoy the forum.
Thanks,
Jim.
I can't speak to the reasons for going to a LJ from a JK, (haven't owned either). As for the insurance part of it, it's hard to get any insurance company to reimburse the money put into the modifications of any vehicle unless you add a "special-equipment rider" to cover additional costs. Obviously this added coverage is going to raise your premium. I have Allstate and when I spoke with my agent about modifying my Jeep she simply said to keep good records and once my costs exceed the max the underwriters set as complete loss pay off, I would have to up the rider amount accordingly.

like Chris, I too am looking for Clean LJ, I'm coming form a CJ what can I say.. Seems I was naïve to think the LJ's were more affordable than the JK's. I didn't realize the LJ's had become the collectors item they are today.
Some may know my ideal ride will be practically modded, quality 2.5" 3" lift, LJ OME, JK AEV. 33" ish rubber, 4:10's 4:11's locked or limited slipped. some armor, keeping the mostly modded factory look. pass on the angry bird and 22"s.

Getting to my point. Seems some of you have had both JK's and LJ's, some are coming back to a LJ after owning a JK, JKU, If you care to share your wisdom, id like to ask why. Is it looks? certainly not comfort. Is it simplicity of being able to do most work your self with out a deep tool box of electrical component test gear? Is it for something that has not been mentioned yet, the superiority of the jeep wave perhaps?

Seems one can get a better LJ for 16-22K, seems one can get a pretty nice 13-16 JK for about the same price. I chose 2013 as a starting year because of the 3.8 to 3.6 change out, Im aware the 3.6 came out in 12 ish, never liked first year change of anything myself.
If one had there jeep stolen or wrecked Id think it would be easier to get your insurance coverage to cover your newer jeep than your older one wouldn't it? No haggling over street value vs agreed upon value. I bring up the insurance question because I could never get my old CJ covered for what I had invested for parts, let alone labor.

I understand this isn't my thread and I do not intend on hi-jacking but in my old man opinion it's more to the point than splitting the hairs over the generation naming convention isn't... gulp,,, no offence intended it's all in good fun,,
I can just hear John Wayne and Clint Eastwood discussing there generation name during a smoke and a whisky now, not a vape and a 12 dollar beer, lol.

I do enjoy the forum.
Thanks,
Jim.

If you plan on daily driving your Jeep, commuting, or doing lots of long highway drives, the JK is undoubtedly the better vehicle.

Hell, even stock-versus-stock, the JK is going to be better off-road than the TJ / LJ. It's a newer vehicle, and generally a manufacturer doesn't make a newer vehicle that is worse than the old one.

A well optioned 2012+ JK Rubicon will cost a bit more than a low mileage, clean, LJ Rubicon (depending), so to the LJ should still be cheaper, but usually not by that much. Now if you get a Hard Rock or a Recon model JK Rubicon, then you're going to spend 30k or more, at which point it's a lot more than a LJ Rubicon.

Do you consider your Jeep to be a recreational vehicle or a commuter / daily driver? I like to think of Wranglers as serving no other purpose than being a recreational vehicle / toy. Given that train of thought, I want a cheaper toy for one (hence the TJ / LJ is a better buy), but I also want my "toy" to be easy to work on for the most part.

I can tell you from having owned a JK Rubicon that if you plan on working on that thing yourself, you're in for a world of hurt. That thing is packed to the brim with electronics, wiring, etc. One look under the hood and you'll quickly miss all the room in the 4.0 engine bay, the simplicity of the OHV setup, etc.

The TJ / LJ platform is the last Jeep that the average DIY mechanic can work on. The JK rides better and performs better in every way, but it lacks the "soul" that the older TJ and LJ has. It feels like a well built SUV. Quiet, smooth, and easy to drive.

In my mind they are both great vehicles, but I'd rather have the simpler one, as I like to do most of my own stuff (when the kids permit), and I personally see the TJ / LJ as eventually becoming the more sought after Jeep.

If I could afford both, I would own both, but given the choice between the two, the TJ platform is the platform for me.

People talk about how the 4L I-6 is a tractor engine. With the clunky shifting 6 speed, it does sound and operate a lot like the smaller Ford tractor we had on the farm. That could be part of it's appeal to me. Plus I owned a 98 ZJ for a decade and had worked on the 4L in all sorts of ways. Including replacing my cracked exhaust header in an afternoon one weekend.

So far working on the 2006 LJ has been nice and straightforward (if I ever find my tiny mouse squeak when I hit bumps). Of course I never had to work on my 2008 Toyota other than brake pads and oil changes. Boring consistency with pretty much zero aftermarket anything to distract me.

I could afford a newer Jeep, but I wanted something that I could modify as a way to keep me busy now that the kids are in college. It's not in my nature to buy a new car, toss new components off it, and pay a dealer or shop to fix it up, like I see Gladiator owners doing.

I almost bought a CJ-8 or an older Willys Jeep pickup like this one; just to be different when I drive to work.

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/kennard-willys-jeep-pick-up/7012589166.html

I've had several people driving 4 door Jeeps do double takes at the longer 2 door LJ. I wonder if they think it's a new model they didn't know about.

Last edited:
I was really excited about my TJ manual transmission purchase but honestly at age 49 and driving at 200 shifts per hour on I15 in SoCal peak hour traffic I am starting to get knee pain in my left knee!!!

Sad, but true.
I have a good buddy who tried to talk me into buying an auto, said we are too old for all that shifting. I said hell no I want a manual and thats what I got. One of the first weekends it was nice and I put tons of miles on it going to the beach etc. My left hip hurt the next day but there is no way I will ever tell him that!

I have a good buddy who tried to talk me into buying an auto, said we are too old for all that shifting. I said hell no I want a manual and thats what I got. One of the first weekends it was nice and I put tons of miles on it going to the beach etc. My left hip hurt the next day but there is no way I will ever tell him that!
I bought an 03 Manual last summer and an 06 automatic this summer .
I still have both .

The manual is fun , engaging , and you feel involved with the machine more .

The automatic is simple , faster and easier , and far less tiring in traffic . You dont have to think.

I doubt I will ever own another manual Jeep.

On Chris's JK /TJ viewpoint , and this is really hard to articulate, there is something the TJ has with it's predecessors the JK doesn't , especially if you have seat risers to keep from feeling "down into it".

The relationship the driver has to the wheel , dash and hood view is amazingly similar . The spatial feel you have of the vehicle is very similar , only more refined . A TJ has the feel and driving character a Jeep always had , and a JK gets it's feel from much more modern ergonomics and design . It feels way, way more SUV , and feels at it's worst like a solid XJ Cherokee more than a TJ can at its best. It's hard to articulate , but Suzy kisses different than Linda , but either way it's fun.

I'm my opinion , it doesn't surprise me the CJ evolved into the TJ ,nor does it suprise me the TJ was metamorphosized into the JK , and even more so the JKU.

I think it was inevitable for the line to survive . To increase sales is to connect with more people , and the JKU did it beyond FCA 's wildest aspirations, and something early designers never envisioned , as the vehicle was always built for utility.

I'm not sad or surprised the "feel " was" lost" in 2006 to 2007 , I think the TJ was refined to the point it couldn't go much further without it being a different animal , and I'm glad it kept so much of the earlier CJ feel for its run.

I'm not discounting the yj , I had one briefly , it was nice , I just can't remember it as well .

Shit! Commodore 64 and hours of writing code so you can watch a dot go across the screen.
Yes! I started with a VIC-20 with a cassette tape drive. Then upgraded to the 64 with the 5 1/4 floppy. I used to get those Commodore magazines and type in pages of peeks and pokes just to create some silly simple game, haha! Mr favorite game was Dr J vs Larry Bird 1 on 1.

Reactions: LJGreg and reddvltj
If you plan on daily driving your Jeep, commuting, or doing lots of long highway drives, the JK is undoubtedly the better vehicle.

Hell, even stock-versus-stock, the JK is going to be better off-road than the TJ / LJ. It's a newer vehicle, and generally a manufacturer doesn't make a newer vehicle that is worse than the old one.

A well optioned 2012+ JK Rubicon will cost a bit more than a low mileage, clean, LJ Rubicon (depending), so to the LJ should still be cheaper, but usually not by that much. Now if you get a Hard Rock or a Recon model JK Rubicon, then you're going to spend 30k or more, at which point it's a lot more than a LJ Rubicon.

Do you consider your Jeep to be a recreational vehicle or a commuter / daily driver? I like to think of Wranglers as serving no other purpose than being a recreational vehicle / toy. Given that train of thought, I want a cheaper toy for one (hence the TJ / LJ is a better buy), but I also want my "toy" to be easy to work on for the most part.

One thing that needs to be mentioned, or at least I feel it should. The TJ is just a much better looking Wrangler. JK's are sort of ugly with the plastic sagging fenders and they just look too wide. I am not ruling one out someday, but I want to keep my TJ if I have a Jeep for as long as possible. JK's just don't look good. The 4 door looks stupid. This is just my personal opinion however and the popularity of JKs says a lot. They are everywhere!

Reactions: ldeer77 and JMT
One thing that needs to be mentioned, or at least I feel it should. The TJ is just a much better looking Wrangler. JK's are sort of ugly with the plastic sagging fenders and they just look too wide. I am not ruling one out someday, but I want to keep my TJ if I have a Jeep for as long as possible. JK's just don't look good. The 4 door looks stupid. This is just my personal opinion however and the popularity of JKs says a lot. They are everywhere!

Yes, the JK is what I refer to as the “fat Elvis” of Jeep Wranglers.

The best looking Wrangler in my mind is the TJ.

Reactions: Nordic and Hog
Chirs,
love the term, lol... fat Elvis,,,, ha ha ha, that's just wrong and funny at the same time. He is going to be pissed, you get that he is still alive right?
elvjp.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Chris