Chris - How do you start an automotive forum?

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Luckily most of the dudes I work with are car guys. We were sitting around the other day talking about the various forums we're on - ClubLexus, Toyota Nation, E46 Fanatics, and this one. We eventually got to wondering how any of these forums ever get started. Does it just take one dude that has an idea, buys some software, sets it up & waits for people to show? Do you start out with an empty forum & cross-promote? I don't know anything about it, just curious as to how one starts something like this.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I’ve been on a few, some members didn’t like how it was ran, made another forum and people followed. I’m not a programmer so I don’t know the details.

Reactions: RangerRick
Luckily most of the dudes I work with are car guys. We were sitting around the other day talking about the various forums we're on - ClubLexus, Toyota Nation, E46 Fanatics, and this one. We eventually got to wondering how any of these forums ever get started. Does it just take one dude that has an idea, buys some software, sets it up & waits for people to show? Do you start out with an empty forum & cross-promote? I don't know anything about it, just curious as to how one starts something like this.

It happens in one of two ways:

1) You have a very big passion for a certain vehicle, and you decide to make a forum out of it. That's what I did with this forum. I love TJs and have for a long, long time, and I also recognized that the other Wrangler forums out there went downhill tremendously after they got sold to Vertical Scope.

2) You're a big company like Vertical Scope and have no interest in the vehicle, just an interest in monetizing the forum. These guys will launch a new forum every day for the most obscure things. I mean hell, they have a forum for Honda Odyssey minivans, so that should tell you something (owned by Vertical Scope of course).

Not all forums will be successful. In fact, I'd say the majority of them probably fail to every get off the ground.

I owe some of the success of this forum to my background in SEO, internet marketing, web design, and all that good stuff. Long before I was ever running this forum, I was building websites and doing internet related stuff for all sorts of companies.

I've got endless amounts of hours into organic SEO, and I also run a very successful Google AdWords campaign (which I pay for out of my own pocket) to boost this forum in related search results.

In all fairness, I never anticipated this forum would become what it has. I was more or less doing it because I love the TJ so much and I keep thinking how great would it be to have everything TJ related in one place.

While I doubt these things will ever fetch the sort of money an all original Shelby GT500 Mustang will get at a Barrett Jackson auction, I do see them as becoming classics at some point (if they aren't already).

It happens in one of two ways:

1) You have a very big passion for a certain vehicle, and you decide to make a forum out of it. That's what I did with this forum. I love TJs and have for a long, long time, and I also recognized that the other Wrangler forums out there went downhill tremendously after they got sold to Vertical Scope.

2) You're a big company like Vertical Scope and have no interest in the vehicle, just an interest in monetizing the forum. These guys will launch a new forum every day for the most obscure things. I mean hell, they have a forum for Honda Odyssey minivans, so that should tell you something (owned by Vertical Scope of course).

Not all forums will be successful. In fact, I'd say the majority of them probably fail to every get off the ground.

I owe some of the success of this forum to my background in SEO, internet marketing, web design, and all that good stuff. Long before I was ever running this forum, I was building websites and doing internet related stuff for all sorts of companies.

I've got endless amounts of hours into organic SEO, and I also run a very successful Google AdWords campaign (which I pay for out of my own pocket) to boost this forum in related search results.

In all fairness, I never anticipated this forum would become what it has. I was more or less doing it because I love the TJ so much and I keep thinking how great would it be to have everything TJ related in one place.

While I doubt these things will ever fetch the sort of money an all original Shelby GT500 Mustang will get at a Barrett Jackson auction, I do see them as becoming classics at some point (if they aren't already).
Uhhh...I know why you really did it... :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVOzPPtiw

...and I also recognized that the other Wrangler forums out there went downhill tremendously after they got sold to Vertical Scope.

I don't know when the sale of the other forums happened, but I started out on the other forum with a similar name of this forum. It quickly got aggravating having sooooo many forums and sub-forums and trying to find what you wanted. Some things that I seen a lot of on the other forums, and it would piss me off even though I wasn't involved in it; People asking questions and numerous responses from others giving the OP hell about not searching the forum or google or some other search engine. I mean come on, people on these forums run the full spectrum from being able to build/run the site to barely being able to operate a computer/smartphone. Add in a language barrier due to some TJ owners being in other countries and it could get pretty messy. There's nothing wrong with just not replying if all you're going to do is give someone shit. The other thing was people catching hell for doing a particular modification that others deem useless/stupid or choosing brand X over brand Y. Again, the full spectrum of people with plenty of money to spend of their Jeep to some that might just barely be getting by but still love their Jeep and put what little bit they may be able to afford into it.

I think for the most part, that doesn't happen here and I hope it never gets like those other sites. I rarely go to the other sites any more but if I do, it's usually just to scan the For Sale forums.

Or you copy paste steal another forum and create a niche for yourself. But first you have a passion.
You are successful if you can focus and have IT skills.

I have a few clients I still develop [mostly WP/bootstrap] for but these days I do more work securing sites.
In the time it's taken me to write this post just one of my sites has been attacked over twenty times from twelve different IP's/domains, I have lost count of how many time I've had to clean up sites for clients that have been compromised by sql injection and reverse hex script hacking

Anyway...
If you don't mind me asking, what software are you using to run this site and are you hosted on linux or win?

I don't know when the sale of the other forums happened, but I started out on the other forum with a similar name of this forum. It quickly got aggravating having sooooo many forums and sub-forums and trying to find what you wanted. Some things that I seen a lot of on the other forums, and it would piss me off even though I wasn't involved in it; People asking questions and numerous responses from others giving the OP hell about not searching the forum or google or some other search engine. I mean come on, people on these forums run the full spectrum from being able to build/run the site to barely being able to operate a computer/smartphone. Add in a language barrier due to some TJ owners being in other countries and it could get pretty messy. There's nothing wrong with just not replying if all you're going to do is give someone shit. The other thing was people catching hell for doing a particular modification that others deem useless/stupid or choosing brand X over brand Y. Again, the full spectrum of people with plenty of money to spend of their Jeep to some that might just barely be getting by but still love their Jeep and put what little bit they may be able to afford into it.

I think for the most part, that doesn't happen here and I hope it never gets like those other sites. I rarely go to the other sites any more but if I do, it's usually just to scan the For Sale forums.

I can't say for sure when it happened, but I believe it was sometime back around 2012 or so that Wrangler Forum and Jeep Forum were bought out by Vertical Scope.

The sub-forum thing aggravated the hell out of me as well. You'd go to Jeep Forum and there would be so many damn sub-forums for every model of Jeep that you lost focus. In addition, Wrangler Forum has the TJ Discussion and TJ Technical Discussion. What the hell is the point of that? Why can't everything just be in the same single forum?

I tried my best to limit the amount of sub-forums here and make it so that they were pretty easy to understand. Last thing I want is 100 sub-forums, one for audio, one for lighting, one for wheels and tires, etc. It gets confusing eventually, as people don't know where to post, and often times their posts will go unnoticed.

The search Nazis are also troublesome too. If people stopped asking questions (even if the same question had been asked before), it would eventually lead to no more discussions and all activity would cease. Telling someone to do a search is for the most part unnecessary.

I know there's a lot of us here who prefer one brand over another, but I think that's going to happen anywhere you go. I think the thing is that you just have to pick a brand you trust and stick with them. For some people that is Currie, for others it is Clayton, and for others it is Metalcloak. If you find something that works for you, that's really all that matters. Of course the problems arise when people are trying to do something very specific with their rig and then wonder why X product isn't working the way they had hoped.

I have a few clients I still develop [mostly WP/bootstrap] for but these days I do more work securing sites.
In the time it's taken me to write this post just one of my sites has been attacked over twenty times from twelve different IP's/domains, I have lost count of how many time I've had to clean up sites for clients that have been compromised by sql injection and reverse hex script hacking

Anyway...
If you don't mind me asking, what software are you using to run this site and are you hosted on linux or win?

I build A LOT of sites in WordPress for clients. If you don't regularly maintain and update them, the hackers will be all over you. This is due to the fact that WordPress is the most popular and widely used CMS out there. More websites use it than any other CMS.

This forum is built using XenForo. I'm on a dedicated cloud VPS server (Linux) with Liquid Web.

Thanks for that, I'll look up XenForo

I have most of my clients WP sites on auto update, has its drawbacks when there is a conflict but as you said you must keep WP up to date as there are bots that literally target out of date themes, plugins, core, etc.

Thanks for that, I'll look up XenForo

I have most of my clients WP sites on auto update, has its drawbacks when there is a conflict but as you said you must keep WP up to date as there are bots that literally target out of date themes, plugins, core, etc.

My trick with WordPress is only using plugins that are well-known, widely supported plugins. When you use the ones from crappy developers with very little use from others, that's usually when you have problems. Some of my favorite WordPress plugins are Gravity Forms and Advanced Custom Fields. With those two alone I can do so, so much!

Vertical scope has vacuumed up almost all the once great forums for hobbyists out there who are fans of a particular passion. Their log in is a pain in the ass with their password security partly because they used the "other big" forum software that will remain nameless They didn't patch or update frequently enough so the hackers made a total mess of these sites for a period of time which caused the personal information of thousands of their members and their accounts to become compromised. They lost a ton of users right there.

Then there is the problem of the monetization of every single f*$@^!@g thing with key words, banner and pop-up adds and the worst of all that evil "vigilink".

The other thing was instead of directly hosting the images, they forced or recommended people to use services that hosted photos like fotopuket who mid stream decided to change the terms of use and break every single link so none of the images worked anymore on threads. (Very annoying for technical threads by the way). Forcing the users to "upgrade" and pay for their photo hosting account or none of the images would work anymore. That and their damned watermark that makes it impossible to see details on hosted images.

All because the forum owner didn't want to, have to or need to pay for the bandwidth to cover the in-house hosting of those images directly. Some did and made it clear that any images you upload become their property but that causes a host of other [legal] issues in any case.....

One of the reasons @Chris I came over here was because of the above issues. I decided the hassle with these other sites wasn't worth it anymore and my posting/interest or visiting them has dropped to near zero since.

Pirate, Jeepforum, Wrangler the list goes on to who sold out to Vertical Scope, a Canadian IT company and within days of that happening, the support, personality and friendliness of those sites went down hill immediately. If you don't log into the site to see a quick article, the adds and vigilinks make it almost impossible to even surf those forums anymore.

I guess the payout for the original owners was worth it, I heard rumors of how much the guy from Pirate and the guy who started Jeepforum made when they "sold out" but personally, I think they took away a lot from the appeal and joy of forums to where I literally never went on any of those boards for several years afterwards. I downloaded all my technical posts and content I had added to those sites and stored them on my own computer and in some cases went back through and deleted them on those sell-out sites I was so upset... <My .02 Cents>

I remember when I first found your site @Chris talking to you about this very topic and that I hope you never become a "sell-out". It's why I donated to your site and will do it again for the JK forum (and CJ forum if you ever start one <wink-wink>...

RR

Reactions: Chris
I remember when I first found your site @Chris talking to you about this very topic and that I hope you never become a "sell-out". It's why I donated to your site and will do it again for the JK forum (and CJ forum if you ever start one <wink-wink>...

Oh no, I won't sell out. Vertical Scope already tried to buy me out (as well as Internet Brands), and I turned them both down. I am too consumed with all things TJ related that I couldn't just sell the forum. Not to mention I'm not sure I could live with myself watching from the sidelines as the site slowly went downhill after I sold it.

So that's kind of the point of my question. You're @Chris, sitting in your big mansion, and you think "I'm going to start a TJ Forum". So I'm assuming you get some software, get it set up, and then "go live" or whatever it is you computer guys say. How do you actually get people to come in at the beginning & then maintain that momentum? Is that the SEO part? I know what SEO is because of Wikipedia.

So that's kind of the point of my question. You're @Chris, sitting in your big mansion, and you think "I'm going to start a TJ Forum". So I'm assuming you get some software, get it set up, and then "go live" or whatever it is you computer guys say. How do you actually get people to come in at the beginning & then maintain that momentum? Is that the SEO part? I know what SEO is because of Wikipedia.

That is indeed the SEO part, yes indeed 👍

You’d be shocked at how little you can get a mansion for in Arizona too 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: D M
That is indeed the SEO part, yes indeed 👍

You’d be shocked at how little you can get a mansion for in Arizona too 🤣

I can only imagine: sitting atop your own mountain surveying everything your TJ empire has brought you & the generations that will come next...

So I guess you pre-load it with content or something prior to making it available? Or do you just leave it up to people to join on their own? Who was the 1st member & what did they post? Sorry, when I get curious about something I think about it all the time.

I can only imagine: sitting atop your own mountain surveying everything your TJ empire has brought you & the generations that will come next...

So I guess you pre-load it with content or something prior to making it available? Or do you just leave it up to people to join on their own? Who was the 1st member & what did they post? Sorry, when I get curious about something I think about it all the time.
You will have to pre-load it with content, yes. No one likes coming to an empty site, and rightfully so.

Yep, I’ve got my mansion on the hilltop and the peasants down in the valley driving their XJs. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition