Cigarette Lighter Voltage Issue

leojeeper

Supporting Member
I have a 98 TJ and I discovered my phone charger would not work in the lighter outlet. I probed it with my voltmeter and it was only putting out around 6 volts. What could be causing this?

Thanks,

Gary

I'm gonna roll the dice and say there's some bubba wiring back there. But it's possible you've got a barely hanging on ground, or maybe just a lousy outlet. They're easy to replace fwiw.

Or maybe your Jeep identifies as an early VW.

You guys are too funny! I haven’t tried checking the wiring behind yet. I have a new radio coming for Christmas so probably dig into it at that time.

Unless it's a 6V lighter plug (seems unlikely since virtually every car charger accessory runs off 12V) you still need to work out the wiring issue.

I know. I just wasn’t sure what could be causing the voltage drop and what to look for.

When I have the trim piece off to put the radio in, I’ll start at the outlet and work backwards until I find where the voltage drop is and address the problem.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
I know. I just wasn’t sure what could be causing the voltage drop and what to look for.

When I have the trim piece off to put the radio in, I’ll start at the outlet and work backwards until I find where the voltage drop is and address the problem.

Several things come to mind. Dirty conecctors on the line. And anoher thought is a corroded lighter plug. And lastly, an inaccurate meater.

And anoher thought is a corroded lighter plug. And lastly, an inaccurate meater.

Pretty sure the meter is fine as it read fine at the battery and fuse box.

I was also wondering if maybe there is a lot of build up inside the outlet from a lot of use by a previous owner.

I thank everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. Probably won’t play around with it much until I put the radio in, but if we get a nice day I might fiddle with it. Unfortunately I don’t have a nice garage to work in.