Circa 1978 Overlanding - 5 CJ's and 1 Wagoneer (22,000 miles over 122 days)

One thing that surprised me was somehow a welder was brought along or available... Outside of a generator I'm sure electricity was non-existent.

From what I was able to piece-together of the video footage; it looked like the Wagoneer, which trailed the 5 CJ's, was loaded down with everything imaginable (a whole bunch of Jerry cans), to possibly include a butane-powered welding kit, or some such (?).

Reactions: AndyG
I feel like I've seen another video similar to this on motorcycles but I may be misremembering. Maybe it was just part of On any Sunday or one of those videos.

Getting a little off track here but dust to glory was great too.

Excellent vids, there. "On Any Sunday" rocked my world as a little kid. I went on to dive deep into Moto-X in '73.

The way Malcom Smith is shown smiling, after charging around the clock in extreme terrain, is the same way I smile after just 15 minutes of wheeling :).

Is it me or was this just a different generation of men...

Talk about an 84 day kitchen pass..

I bet these were the kind of guys smoked unfiltered camels , either had one wife or 5... Built businesses without even thinking about it much.. made millions... Maybe even went broke a few times, drove convertibles around with a Schlitz between their legs, flirted with 15 year old waitresses at the local diner , photographed Bigfoot, hunted bighorn sheep , shot sharks from helicopters ...

And if someone walked up to them and asked what they've been doing, they would say "not much , it's been kinda quite around"

Is it me or was this just a different generation of men...

Talk about an 84 day kitchen pass..

I bet these were the kind of guys smoked unfiltered camels , either had one wife or 5... Built businesses without even thinking about it much.. made millions... Maybe even went broke a few times, drove convertibles around with a Schlitz between their legs, flirted with 15 year old waitresses at the local diner , photographed Bigfoot, hunted bighorn sheep , shot sharks from helicopters ...

And if someone walked up to them and asked what they've been doing, they would say "not much , it's been kinda quite around"

It does appear they were a different breed of men--shaped by an era which faded fast with the onset of the "Interweb" - and its subsequent re-shaping of the contemporary male paradigm. The average male now spends so much time engrossed-by or affected by audio-visual system-overload and EMR, it's a wonder we're able to crawl out of the "blue brain" cloud long enough to spend any amount of time in the elements--the best therapy on the planet.

And so my primary attraction to the Jeep--a means to get deep into the elements, where all that is heard is the wind listing through the trees, the birds chirping, water running through a creek, and of course the occasional "wurrp...wurrp...wurrp" of the 4.0L engine :).

Reflecting upon the bygone era in question; I had a small taste of such while in the Navy (in a previous century), wherein I once spent 63 days inside the Arctic Circle, doing hair-raising things while interacting with the Russian navy. Being in the elements, to the extreme; and with the daily extremes of sheer terror in one moment and terminal boredem in the next; and while also responding-to and interacting-with the elements by the minute; it made for a paradigm worlds apart from the contemporary ("post-modern") and cosmopolitan lifestyles which most of us are now subject to.

Anyone game for the Overlanding Nomad lifestyle?

1576692701374.png

1576692777265.png

1576692892664.png

It’s amazing what they did with those Jeeps back then, in ‘78 I was 20 years old I would have gladly gone but I didn’t move to Georgetown until 20 years after the expedition. I think the Jeep line would have faded away years ago if not for Mark Smith, we certainly wouldn’t have the famous Rubicon Trail or the Jeep model named after it.

37C7CD5E-1C98-4E50-ACD9-B3941BDA196B.jpeg
E63E9DE8-4086-4081-964C-00E5D3193532.png
9C7C4E72-CB36-459E-A75F-0EF0299AFE91.png
9036EDD1-DCB1-404B-AB00-5EB59A619B40.png

Reactions: alittleoff
Awesome , I loved that video. How many real men does it take to drive a Jeep through the jungle ? I loved the walk ahead guys , machetes, pistols for bad guys and Jaguars probably.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Awesome , I loved that video. How many real men does it take to drive a Jeep through the jungle ? I loved the walk ahead guys , machetes, pistols for bad guys and Jaguars probably.
I get a kick out of the Jeep on a raft picture with one of the party wearing a Mark Spitz ‘76 Olympics swimsuit.
D3714B5B-EB19-4535-8679-4DF5D881E23E.png

• Haha
Reactions: Hog and AndyG
You know I'm taking the day to go see @Hog and do some work on his Sahara... My wife wasn't thrilled.

Can you imagine saying honey I'm going to drive across South America I'll see you about October.