CJ, YJ and TJ owners are like Corvette owners

Love me some Target!!!
After getting back into Jeeps again I am shocked at the tremendous amount of JK's that I am seeing on the road. Far more than earlier models. But what surprises me more is that they take no notice in you. If one Corvette driver sees another they hold there hand up or wave. With my first Jeep other Jeep drivers tough me how to be polite and mannerly. Are JKerys a different bread or just don't know that 2 doors are also Jeeps?

every generation that comes out is less "Jeep" like and more like a car then the previous one, what can you expect...soccer moms use the 4dr JK's and JL's just as they did with mini vans, and the closest some will ever get to offroading is when they pull to to side of the road to check out a yardsale

wonder if earlier gen 'vette drivers wave to C8's?

I've been pretty lucky in that regard. Very few Wranglers that haven't waived, and those probably just didn't see me.

I even had a pink JK with a young lady driving and a banner across the top of the windshield that read "Love muffin" wave at me, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: mrjp and reddvltj
Like a Harley Davidson, the Jeep used to be a symbol of freedom and adventure. Only a rugged few people desired to relinquish the luxuries of modern vehicles in order to drive a vehicle so simple and purpose oriented that it could do what no other vehicle could do. Around this common love for a vehicle that was like no other, a community formed.

With the introduction of the 4 door JK, the Wrangler market was extended far beyond its historical market. It was no longer a single purpose minded vehicle that required a sacrifice of modern convenience to achieve its one simple goal. It now sits on the verge of being just another SUV.

In the past, driving a Jeep was a unique experience. It required a certain ruggedness of character to daily drive it and appreciate the capabilities it offered. Despite the noise and uncivilized manners of the Jeep, you loved it for what it was. Soon after a community formed around that love of an uncivilized and rugged vehicle. With the JK, the Wrangler became much more civilized and its appeal grew to the mass market. Many who would never put up with the harsh characteristics of an early Wrangler, now find themselves driving the most capable offroad vehicle on the market and are clueless about what it is, or the loyalty that was required of the generations before them that made this vehicle possible.

With the refinement and luxury that is provided in the modern Jeep, the community that developed around the simple ruggedness of the early Jeeps is lost. Only those who care to dig into Jeep history will understand and appreciate the ruggedness of the early Jeeps and the sacrifice that used to be required to drive a Jeep. Only after you understand where the Jeep came from, can you understand the community and why the old Jeepers always waved to one another. We now wave to one another out of respect of the history and tradition of the Jeep. But those who don't know the history of Jeep, will never understand the Jeep wave or give the wave themselves.

I wave to all wranglers and CJ's, not just older ones. I have noticed quite a few JK drivers wave back, but very few JL drivers do.

My other vehicle is a Chevy ZR2...I got a wave from a fellow ZR2 owner on my way home from work today...Not sure how I feel about that...

"It's a Jeep thing you(most folks) wouldn't understand" is so true these days. I surely miss the days when folks driving around in a Jeep were like family!!

I read somewhere (probably this forum) last year after I got mine that the Jeep wave is like a military salute: the junior salutes the senior who may or may not deign to return the gesture.

I make an effort to wave at every YJ and TJ I see; JKs and JLs only offroad.