CJ5 project advice?

Umbra

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been eyeballing some old Jeeps for projects. Wagoneers and FS Cherokees in particular. I've decided they're a little too much of a PITA parts wise.

I've come across a '77 CJ 5 close to me that's definitely a project. Straight 6 , no title, needs a ton of work, but pretty much intact and not really beyond my abilities (or my smarter friends at least :) )
The guy only wants $800 and after speaking to his wife very briefly, she is under the impression that he'll take less. "Very negotiable" she says. My guess is she could be the reason it's going. It's bee for sale for a while too.

My only problem is that I have 0 experience with CJs and I'm not real familiar with them. The title thing I can deal with, have before. Parts look plentiful and cheap.

Prob going to look later tonight or tomorrow.

What say you forum CJ pros? Anything I should be on the look out for? Common trubbas?

CJ5.jpg

What would you plan to do with it, other than restore it?

In KY you can get a "project title" on any vehicle older than 25 years as long as the VIN is clear and it's an in state transfer.. After it's back up and running you get a Sheriff's inspection and apply for a regular title.

As far as plans, it would just be a project to tinker with to start. It's already got a lift and 33s on it (I think) so it might eventually be a trail jeep or maybe not. I work on old hot rods and there normally isn't much of a plan until it's back together and running.

I just got back from taking a look and it's all there and in pretty good shape. It's not running. The first jobs will be wiring and fuel lines because it's been sitting for a while. No obvious rust through anywhere (rare for this area) It is a straight six he says was recently rebuilt (it looks it) but he doesn't know which one. 3 speed. Suspension looks good, frame looks good. It appears as if he has everything for it.

I say go for it! Working on a CJ is more like working on a tractor than working on anything out there these days, including the TJs.

Around 1990 I combined a 1972 and a 1977 CJ and that was quite a challenge. They really changed in 1975 so keep that in mind when buying stuff. At least three other people have had it since 1997.

With my son, shortly after it was built 1991:
19910901_001.jpg

With my daughter, shortly before I sold it 1997:
102.jpg

And shortly before I bought it again last April, it was raced 18 years and is now my project again :
mcclasky_cj5.jpg

^^^ Nice! Glad you got it back. Story?

Update on the CJ I was looking at. I found out that the VIN is clear, but that the last time it was registered was in another state and some time ago, which complicates the title thing. It can still be done, but would be a little more trouble than I'm willing to take on at the moment. It's a bummer because it really is in good shape, minus being somewhat disassembled.

Thanks to those who responded.