Cleaning My Frame, How High Can I lift My Tub Without Causing Problems?

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I want to do some extensive frame cleaning, and want access to the top of my frame rails. How high can I lift my tub without a lot of work disconnecting wiring and/or steering column? Ideally, I want to lift the tub and rest it in pieces of 2x4 or even 4x4 while I clean.

Great question. I too am curious about this, so I'm looking forward to what others have to say.

The tallest available body lift is 3 inches so I would bet that would be a safe spot to start.

I personally wouldn't unbolt all the body mounts at once though and lift the tub. Too high of a chance of something not lining up.

I personally wouldn't unbolt all the body mounts at once though and lift the tub. Too high of a chance of something not lining up.

That would be my fear as well. And getting things realigned could be a massive PITA.

I'd like to hear from someone who has done a 3 inch body lift. Can you actually lift one side that high (more than 3 inches to get 3 inch pucks in there) without binding the other side?

I want to do some extensive frame cleaning, and want access to the top of my frame rails. How high can I lift my tub without a lot of work disconnecting wiring and/or steering column? Ideally, I want to lift the tub and rest it in pieces of 2x4 or even 4x4 while I clean.
It's never been done in a way you are thinking. You will be the first one. Normally it's already gutted out when they lift a tub.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you're willing to disconnect. At a certain point you might as well take the body off

I've read the procedure on what's needed to remove the tub, but I'm not set up to lift the whole tub, or have place to store it, once removed.