Cleaning out the frame to bare metal and found this

It's okay going forward there won't be anymore snow in New York šŸ¤£šŸ˜

As long as you are confident about the situation. My main concern is any amount of rust at all in the frame. If it is even a bit scaley you will have a hard time removing and treating it of course compared to rust that's out in the open.
I really hope so haha. Would save me a ton of yearly cleaning.

But yeah the inside isnā€™t bad at all. Iā€™ve cleaned the inside of frames before and it wasnā€™t too hard. Especially when I cut open a big spot Iā€™ll use an air gun to push put everything and then put a hose in there and rinse it out before I coat it

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
If it's that short section and you can see inside both sides are good when you cut out the rot I'd just box it. There's no point in capping good steel.
Thatā€™s honestly what I was thinking too. Just reinforce it with very good steel

Things that look bad are often not so bad. I'd be more concerned about your frame if breaks were more common. I try to avoid rust but also try to be realistic.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
I live in NJ and seen so much "garbage" patch-work and corroding frames. That's not that bad. And if its just that spot, cut open the area, power wash / blow / clean / scrape (however you can) those chunks out of your frame. Then use an acid cleaner like Ospho or Klean Strip metal and concrete prep to strip the rust (if thats even the correct description) then patch it. Make sure you add some drain holes in your frame so that you can run clean water through it after snow storms. Your last step is a must and thats coating your frame with Fluid Film, inside (using a wand) and out. Any lanolin based oil. CRC rust inhibitor is another and that would be ideal inside the frames. The stuff sticks like ear wax.

You'll likely be fine, for now. But let me tell you, rust "grows" quickly and its better to get that shit out sooner than later. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: pagrey and ObedaTJ
I live in NJ and seen so much "garbage" patch-work and corroding frames. That's not that bad. And if its just that spot, cut open the area, power wash / blow / clean / scrape (however you can) those chunks out of your frame. Then use an acid cleaner like Ospho or Klean Strip metal and concrete prep to strip the rust (if thats even the correct description) then patch it. Make sure you add some drain holes in your frame so that you can run clean water through it after snow storms. Your last step is a must and thats coating your frame with Fluid Film, inside (using a wand) and out. Any lanolin based oil. CRC rust inhibitor is another and that would be ideal inside the frames. The stuff sticks like ear wax.

You'll likely be fine, for now. But let me tell you, rust "grows" quickly and its better to get that shit out sooner than later. Ask me how I know.
Thanks for that info, will definitely look into those. I was actually just looking at Ospho.

I see some horrible patches in NY too, Iā€™d rather have my frame gutted open than a big sheet of metal over the frame

Reactions: fourpointzero
Thanks for that info, will definitely look into those. I was actually just looking at Ospho.

I see some horrible patches in NY too, Iā€™d rather have my frame gutted open than a big sheet of metal over the frame
I think something that small can be fitted with a patch that matches the original lines of your frame. Verses cutting the entire bottom open and putting a Safe-t-cap under it. They look good and get the job done, often making it more resilient to the rot, but yours is a little section. If you're doing it yourself, its cost of materials. If its the whole midsection, then id have the original pros in Cranston, RI do it. But from the looks, I dont think you need that.

Reactions: ObedaTJ and MikekiM
I think something that small can be fitted with a patch that matches the original lines of your frame. Verses cutting the entire bottom open and putting a Safe-t-cap under it. They look good and get the job done, often making it more resilient to the rot, but yours is a little section. If you're doing it yourself, its cost of materials. If its the whole midsection, then id have the original pros in Cranston, RI do it. But from the looks, I dont think you need that.
I was actually spending the whole day yesterday looking for more rot, a lot of surface rust came out with a brush and drill.
Fortunately the only rot was on that little part of the frame, I am thinking of just cutting the bottom open and rematching it with a metal plate instead of cutting some from the sides like I would for a safetcap. My only concern is the holes where the smaller skid plate goes, I can't really remake those.

My original plan was to actually send it up to them in Cranston, RI. Being an LJ with less than 50k miles, clean body and mostly clean frame, I want to keep this Jeep in excellent shape

I was actually spending the whole day yesterday looking for more rot, a lot of surface rust came out with a brush and drill.
Fortunately the only rot was on that little part of the frame, I am thinking of just cutting the bottom open and rematching it with a metal plate instead of cutting some from the sides like I would for a safetcap. My only concern is the holes where the smaller skid plate goes, I can't really remake those.

My original plan was to actually send it up to them in Cranston, RI. Being an LJ with less than 50k miles, clean body and mostly clean frame, I want to keep this Jeep in excellent shape
You can find numerous shops that'll do a patch job. There's plenty of Jeep shops that do it in NJ, PA, and CT.

But If you're going to do the entire rail, and be thorough about it, I wouldn't hesitate going to those guys in Rhode Island. They do fantastic work. They'll inspect and let you know what needs to be fixed. They actually sandblast the corroded metal off your Jeep and start with a clean slate. Others just angle grind and patch.

When my daughter's Jeep needed frame repair, I brought it to Cranston, RI. They did a great job. However, If I had to do it all over again, I would look at MorFab Industries in Wallingford, CT. I've been watching his videos on YouTube and he does an excellent job and he is a bit closer.

You could get an engine skid, they are much better anyway. You can remake the mounts if you want to, they are just nutserts.
Oh okay, youā€™re right on that. Why didnā€™t I think of that haha, do you think the Jeep will be fine without the smaller skid plate for a while? No off-roading

When my daughter's Jeep needed frame repair, I brought it to Cranston, RI. They did a great job. However, If I had to do it all over again, I would look at MorFab Industries in Wallingford, CT. I've been watching his videos on YouTube and he does an excellent job and he is a bit closer.
Yes, that guy takes pride in his work. And its good! I would have mentioned him but the since Im personally familiar with how the RI shop works, I recommended them.

Reactions: ObedaTJ