Clear vinyl tubing for internal Rubicon locker line

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
How bad an idea is this? I had no other option .

I bought a second Rubicon and the rear locker didn't work...does now šŸ˜Š

Reactions: AMS417 and Tomcat

Take a piece of the same tubing and toss it in an emptied water bottle on the shelf with enough gear oil in it to cover the tubing. Check it every so often to see if it is doing anything it isn't supposed to and then you'll know if that was a good idea or incredibly fucking stupid. ;)

Reactions: Daryl

If itā€™ll take the heat and is rated for petroleum, should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daryl
I have a knack for stupid ... the heat concerns me as much as petroleum tolerance.

Also when these fail, does the gear oil that gets in the locker hurt it?

I have a knack for stupid ... the heat concerns me as much as petroleum tolerance.

Just turns it from pneumatic to hydraulic. Kidding, probably not good, but the rubber bladder is rated for oil, so maybe not the end of the world. Just back to a non-functional locker if it fails.

I thought the same th
Just turns it from pneumatic to hydraulic. Kidding, probably not good, but the rubber bladder is rated for oil, so maybe not the end of the world. Just back to a non-functional locker if it fails.
I thought the same thing ...the bladder is made to run in fluid, figure it might slow the action down

It also makes the incoming locker line a breather , to the extent it gets hot oil up in there..unlocked the locker pump on to clear it.

If it fails ,at least I know what to do and not do next time.

The bad part of being a a pioneer is you get arrows in the back sometimes.

I thought the same th

I thought the same thing ...the bladder is made to run in fluid, figure it might slow the action down

It also makes the incoming locker line a breather , to the extent it gets hot oil up in there..unlocked the locker pump on to clear it.

If it fails ,at least I know what to do and not do next time.

The bad part of being a a pioneer is you get arrows in the back sometimes.

Or it may fill up with fluid and stick locked, unable to bleed the fluid off.

The locker is already in oil. The only place that oil would get that it shouldn't is inside the air actuator. It lives in oil anyway so all that would happen is low or no function. Be careful if you pull one and test it for leaks. It only takes about 10 psi to overextend the bellows and ruin it beyond repair. And no, Slime won't fix it.

The locker is already in oil. The only place that oil would get that it shouldn't is inside the air actuator. It lives in oil anyway so all that would happen is low or no function. Be careful if you pull one and test it for leaks. It only takes about 10 psi to overextend the bellows and ruin it beyond repair. And no, Slime won't fix it.
Thank you . That is valuable.