Clunk noise on hard acceleration and deceleration

Omega81

I've been having this problem ever since I purchased this 04 tj 4.0. When ever I do a hard acceleration from a stop mostly in first gear there is a loud clunk noise. It also happens when letting off the gas from high acceleration in first gear and is a lot more noticeable. I can get it to do it in second gear too. If I accelerate and decelerate in quick secession in first, it clunks in quick secession. Manual tranny 5 speed.

Things I have done to rid this issue and because it needed done....
New hubs
New front axle u-joints
New front and rear drive shaft u-joints
New steering knuckles
New poly transmission mount
All new control arms with all new bushings
New sway bar links with bushings
Sway bar bushing front and back
New springs
New shocks
All new steering linkage
All new ball joints
New rear track bar and bushings
New flywheel, clutch (Mechanic did this job)
Front and rear diff service
Tranny fluid service Mt-90
Body and engine mounts don't look bad
I do have a 4wd cable shifter yet to install.
Everything I did is torqued to spec.
Everything is stock except rancho shocks, rims and tires.

ANY ideas will be much appreciated. Thank you In advance.

I had the same problem and changed out the trans mount. At first it didn’t fix it, but I went and looked once and the nuts had a small space between them and the skid plate even though I tightened them down originally pretty good I thought. Tightened them back up and never had it again.

I guess what happened was originally it got tightened down in the “wrong” position. Next time I stopped and looked it happened to be in the “right” spot and allowed me to tighten it down the rest of the way. Hope this helps, these things drive you nuts.

I was hearing a clunk when one of my LCA mounts broke off. I'd actually only heard it on hard stops, and acceleration.
LCA was still attached the the bracket, but the bracket had come completely off of the axel housing.

I'd out a jack under and really check out those engine mounts again.
Unless you can't reproduce this noise in neutral. Also, best to use rubber mounts for the trans (and engine).
Also check exhaust is in tight and can't shift around.
Check a driveshaft isn't contacting anything during these hard accel/decel.
Or something stupid like the battery or a seat is loose enough to shift around. Or spare tire, or tire jack, etc.