Clunk when accelerating from a stop

Greg M

There are a couple of clunk type noises when I accelerate from a stop. When I push down or slightly pull up on the 4wd handle there is no noise. I figured that it was probably loose linkage. I had the skid plate off yesterday to install a larger transmission pan (with drain plug) and change the fluid in the transfer case. I checked the linkage and everything seemed to be solid, as in I couldn't move it. I checked the transmission mount. It looked fine and felt solid.

Any ideas?

Start with checking your u-joints. Then, move to checking that all the suspension bushings are in good order, and that all parts are properly torqued, including your rear sway bar.

Why then would the noise completely disappear if I push down on the 4wd lever? It only takes a slight bit of pressure.
Are you doing that after the vehicle is moving or before?

If I hold the 4wd lever down (only slight pressure) at a stop and then step on the accelerator then there is absolutely no sound. If I accelerate from a stop without holding the lever then there are 2-3 clunks.

Reactions: LJMolina
Sounds like your transfer case linkage is out of adjustment. This happened to me after my body lift.

I thought it might be loose but it's not. Adjustment had crossed my mind which means switching to a cable would probably be the best solution. Although the body and frame are rust free the linkage is rusted and it doesn't look like adjustment would be possible. I wanted to get some input before I went that route because it's another $200 and it looks like it's going to be a real pain to change.

One note is that it does shift into 4wd fairly easy.

Although the body and frame are rust free the linkage is rusted and it doesn't look like adjustment would be possible
soak it in kroil or 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone and it will break free. if possible remove it and put it in a tray and cover with the solution for a day or so and i've seen the nastiest rusted shit break free !

If you want to confirm it is the linkage you could disconnect the rotator plate from the transfer case. I believe it is a 9/16 nut. Use a flathead to give a little sideways force to unseat it. Make sure it's all the way in the 2hi position and test drive it. The push pull linkage is a crappy design and you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice if you decide to upgrade to a cable.

Prbably a motor mount or a trans mount. If holding the TC lever helps the sound, then take a look at the trans mount.

If I hold the 4wd lever down (only slight pressure) at a stop and then step on the accelerator then there is absolutely no sound. If I accelerate from a stop without holding the lever then there are 2-3 clunks.
I have the same issue, but instead of a clunk its a slight rattle.

From a complete stop, upon accelerating the quick rattle initiates and then goes away after 5-10mph..then its gone until I stop again.
Now, when I change from 2wd to 4wd HI.... the rattle disappears.

I just did a complete frame swap, and I didnt have this issue before the swap...and I can not find where the rattle is coming from.

Also to note, my wife's TJ also has the same sound I have in mine now.