Clunking coming from near transfer case / transmission when clutch is pushed-in

Altruism

So I just bought this, and it makes this clunking noise when the clutch is pushed in but only when it's either in 1st or reverse. It doesn't really make it any other time. I have checked the transmission mount, and u-joints and there is no play. I've also flushed the transmission fluid, and replaced with MTL. You can see the transfer case + front driveshaft move when it makes this clunking but not any other time.

Sitting on 35's, 4" lift, with some angle in the driveshafts.

You can also hear it from outside. Thoughts?

If it is not in 4H? I would check the linkage adjustment for the TC. sounds like it is out of adjustment and is on the edge of engaging 4H, that would be why the front driveshaft is moving and the clunk.

If it is not in 4H? I would check the linkage adjustment for the TC. sounds like it is out of adjustment and is on the edge of engaging 4H, that would be why the front driveshaft is moving and the clunk.
I did adjust the linkage adjustment as when I bought it, it was constantly slip out of 4Lo, so after adjusting it, it hasn't made any other issues with 4Lo, but it has made this noise prior to adjustment.

I did adjust the linkage adjustment as when I bought it, it was constantly slip out of 4Lo, so after adjusting it, it hasn't made any other issues with 4Lo, but it has made this noise prior to adjustment.
That doesn't sound like any "jeep noise" I've heard. You could always jack up the rear end, put stands on the axle tubes to support the axle, and record a video of you putting it in first and reverse.

**Do so with caution and at your own risk...

For good measure I would check torque on all control arms...

Mine makes almost the exact same noise when I'm in between 1-2-3. Not any of the higher gears. My noise comes from the same area too. Transfer, maybe trans/transfer.

I have the exact same noise in 1st. Sometimes it’ll happen in reverse but it’s rare. I replaced the clutch master/slave cylinder thinking it wasn’t disengaging entirely but that didn’t fix it. If you pump the clutch two or three times does the noise still occur? Mine will clear up every time if I pump the clutch. Makes me think the throw-out bearing is dragging and not allowing the clutch to disengage.

Mine is not clutch related. Happens only when I actively moving the shifter. If I am going down the road I can go into neutral and double or triple clutch with no sound at all, but when I go to engage the next gear CLUNK. Shifting up or down.

I have the exact same noise in 1st. Sometimes it’ll happen in reverse but it’s rare. I replaced the clutch master/slave cylinder thinking it wasn’t disengaging entirely but that didn’t fix it. If you pump the clutch two or three times does the noise still occur? Mine will clear up every time if I pump the clutch. Makes me think the throw-out bearing is dragging and not allowing the clutch to disengage.
Hate to bring up a dead/old thread, but still happens even when pumping clutch. My guess atm is pressure plate is loose, as it rattles when turning off unless the clutch is held in, also I hear a slight chirp coming from somewhere, and while U-Joints have no play, I'm suspecting it is something with the clutch. Perhaps the TO bearing, which is a lil scary lol.

Ah, I see your Winchester, VA, a 20 minute drive from me, nice.

Reactions: ranger101